Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do my fish recognize me?

Hey guys so possibly a dumb question I have a parrot, jack Dempsey, firemouth, severum and Pleco now everyday when I come home and they see me they all go crazy like there excited anyone else. Walks by nothing lol when they always know when it's feeding time and they all eat from my hands and when I put my hands in there they all let me touch them so my question is do they know me?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochana25 View Post
Hey guys so possibly a dumb question I have a parrot, jack Dempsey, firemouth, severum and Pleco now everyday when I come home and they see me they all go crazy like there excited anyone else. Walks by nothing lol when they always know when it's feeding time and they all eat from my hands and when I put my hands in there they all let me touch them so my question is do they know me?
Yes, lots of fish (especially those you have) recognize their owners and see, "oh hey it's that giant ape...thing that feeds me!"Out of curiosity, what size tank are these guys in?

Old 07-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lool 90 gallon soon to be 300 gallom
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #4

There was a study done that determined that mbuna had the IQ of a toddler (I can't remember what age it said specifically) so yes your cichlids do recognize you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cichlids are highly intelligent when it comes to problem solving and recognizing people so I would also agree that they recognize you.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

When I set-up my salt tank that sits literally 2 feet to my left and behind me as I sit here typing, it wasn't long at all before the second the lights went on in the morning I would turn around to see my Green chromis damsel, and Fiji damsel sitting there in the corner staring at me. when I moved and turned to look, the chromis would go bonkers with excitement and swim back and forth a couple times and then right back with his nose in the corner looking at me, saying "food" "food" "food" in his fishy language.
When my wife would walk in the room, everyone would hide and peek out to see the stranger.
Now they have gotten used to her and don't hide, but since I feed them, they go bonkers when they see me.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Damselfish are related to cichlids so it makes sense that they would display this behavior.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
Damselfish are related to cichlids so it makes sense that they would display this behavior.
Huh?!

I guess that's kinda true.... all fish are sort of related. Just like tetra are related to rays.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

My fish swim up to the top when I come over, but I noticed that if I look though my tank from the side to the inside glass it is reflective. So I'm not sure they can even see me, maybe they see movement?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

My fish come up to me when I walk up to the tank. When my mom is visiting and she comes up to the tank to watch them, they run and hide. It's amazing. I don't have any cichlids, though. I have peaceful community fish. Fish are definitely smarter than a lot of people give them credit for.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com