Do you cringe at these too?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharpieItBlack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm sitting waiting for the dentist and watching their reef/saltwater tank, which looks pretty well kept and not over stocked with fish. But I'm watching the tv, tuned to a home makeover show... For a decorating accent... they stuffed a betta in a tiny bowl with no heater or filtration :(
Then just a trip to to pet store... For some reason to them its not ok to overclock fancy goldfish, but comets... Omg I wanna cry. They stick.... Over 30 in one tank... The water is horrible. Other fish are over stocked in tiny tanks, live plants seem to be stuck in dirty water and have dead leaves and unkempt.
I wanna have a pond in my future dream house, and have a huge pond filled with those common goldfish, think those are the comets.
From coming from petsmart, my Goldie has held up well! He's a fighter, after stuck in a 10g for long he started having problems. He's now happy and healthy in a new tank! Wish I could do this with all the fish in the store

There aren't many things that aggravate me more than how bettas are treated. There is a pet store in my area that stores bettas in tiny bowls that hold maybe 2 cups of water.. maybe. Every time I see them they are almost always close to dying. I even saw one product that was the size of an old I pod which had a tank the size of its screen with a Betta in it

There is a pet store in my area that stores bettas in tiny bowls that hold maybe 2 cups of water.. maybe.

Not that I'm pro Betta bowl but how else do you propose that stores ship/sell Bettas? If a store decided to give each Betta a tank, do you realize how many tanks they would need just so each one could be separate because just in case no one told you, males can't be housed together. One easy solution to all of this would be to stop selling Bettas all together but then again if stores did that then you would not be able to enjoy this fish.
So unless you want to either stop the selling of this fish all together or house them together in a tank you find feasible in the pet shop and risk them potentially ripping out each others gizzards, there's not much you can do and ultimately not worth complaining about.
Just my opinion

So unless you want to either stop the selling of this fish all together or house them together in a tank you find feasible in the pet shop and risk them potentially ripping out each others gizzards, there's not much you can do and ultimately not worth complaining about.
Just my opinion

It's a simple matter for a pet store to have a dozen 1 gallon tanks for keeping bettas. It's even far cheaper in the long run to store them that way when you consider the pet store has them dying constantly. Hell my lfs has 14 bettas all with their own 5 gallon tank

Yep indeed its sad. All my lfs have bettas in the smallest of tanks, if you can call them tanks. But i understand for a business its the only way they can be realisticly kept.

I have to agree with the Majority. When I go to a pet store and see all the betta's in a little cup just to be sold it's sicking. One of the LFS in my area use dixe cups to keep their betta's in to sale. No space at ALL!! We all know how the Big chains keep their betta's in the big cups. At least that's better than the small dixe cups.

I don't get why they would have so much Betta's to start out with anyway. It makes no since. They don't sale that many to keep that many in a cup. If a store kept bought a special tank that had 12 small half a gallon area's for each betta being sold, that would be much better than 12 in a small little cup.

I'm trying to get a job over the summer at my petsmart here at school. I'm not going home for summer break so saving up money for tuition and working with the fish here would be great! I'd keep all the tanks clean every day! And after working there for awhile propose a different way to house and display the bettas! I'm trying to get into animal work, planning on a law enforcement career and deal with animal cruelty might not deal with the fish but I'd save other animals from bad conditions ^_^

But each time I see the betta fish on display its sad, they look dead because they can't swim around :/

Im doing what I can to free the bettas! Both mine came from a local pet store, in cups that hold no more water than a couple swallows. But I have seen the bettas in the glass bowls and the water has evaporated leaving maybe an inch and the poor fish looks miserable. I realize that is how these fish live in the wild, in rice paddies that DO dry up and leave small pools til harvest is done and the rains come, (Been to Thailand and seen it first hand) and flood the pools out......But that is only for ONE time frame...not for life! I try to keep my 2 bettas happy each gets a turn in the 10 gal. from the 2 gal bowl. Like flood season in the wild to them.

I decided to have a look at a different lfs yesterday i was needing some plants. Headed straight over to look at the fish, i couldn't believe what i saw, tanks were filthy the smell was awful and every tank was full of dead fish. Out of the 15 tanks that was there i counted 5 alive fish or should I say just alive. Well me being me i went of on one, my hubby ended up dragging me out. I don't think I, ll be going back there again. Poor fish :(

Back
Top Bottom