Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you dream of aquariums?

I thought it would be interesting to see if this happens to all of us, some of us, or just me.

Ever since I was a pre-teen I have kept pets in tanks. I'm talking about rodents mostly, and only in the last few years have I switched to fish. My twin sister also had rodents growing up, and we both had and continue to have these dreams, or nightmares rather. Here's how they work. In the dreams I discover a tank in my room that I had forgotten about or that I had thought was no longer inhabited because the animal had died years earlier, and then to my horror I discover that in fact the animals have not died but have continued to live on in these horribly crowded, filthy tanks. Usually there are tons of baby hamsters etc and poop and urine soaked bedding filling up the tank, and the animals inside are usually insane from months or years of utter neglect. Pretty horrific stuff, and we both usually have these dreams when we're stressed out.
Now in the last few years I still have these dreams but now they involve fish and the tanks are now filled with hundreds of sickly, skinny fish with sores all over them and the water is green and foul and the floor of the tank is covered with poop. Last night I dreamt that I found my old crayfish in a tank (he died a year ago). He was sitting in this 10 gallon tank, not moving, and he was huge and white and his shell looked like it was made out of gel. It looked like one of those weird things that you put in water and it gets like 20 times bigger, but basically is mush. It was just like that, but alive!

So, I may just look like a psycho, but I'm curious if anyone else has these dreams.

pw changed
Phoenixphire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Well, I don't really dream about fish but I do dream sometimes about my aquatic plants becoming very overgrown and tangled. The dream is not far from the reality sometimes! I dream that the more plants I trim and pull out, the more messy the tank gets. I don't dream about my houseplants, just the planted tanks.

Sometimes I dream I'm in college and I'm late or unprepared for finals. It's been many years since I've been in college so I'm a bit puzzled by that dream. It's like you said, Phoexixphire, that I dream like this when I've been stressed out.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
I usually just dream about stuff I can never afford..

Like a 6000G tank with sharks and stingrays and stuff..

-sigh-

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to kangster
i do dream about my fish tank once in a while but they are nothing like yours
mine is more pleasant...the same pleasant feeling i get when i watch the fish swim around and i am actually watching my fish in the dream also...
maybe this has to do with the fact that my fish tank is in my bedroom and i subconciously hear the water splash when i am asleep from the HOB power filter...

my guess is these reoccuring dreams are a way for your brain to express that you are stressed out
i used to have some sort of reoccuring dreams that involve filthy bugs and nasty creatures floating around in this yucky fluid that i am also submerged before i got sick (cold, flu, etc)
i think it is natural and normal and there should be nothing to worry about...unless it is annoying somehow for you
Old 04-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ya. I dream of fish. But not like that!! The good kind. dido to partypalooza5!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

i have dreams like that! i dream about my fish literally all the time, and i have since i was little. sometimes they are really nice and fun, like swimming with them. sometimes they are weird like a dreamt my 6 goldfish got so big they had to be kept in a resevoir - they were literally the size of whales!! but recently i drempt the same 6, relatively large goldfish were kept in an 8 gallon and they were so cramped they became deformed...
so basically you are not alone! although i think we might be in the minority with horrible dreams like this...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
I usually just dream about stuff I can never afford.. Like a 6000G tank with sharks and stingrays and stuff..

-sigh-
I had that dream. Except replace sharks and stingrays with a billion neons and a classic convertable mustang in the garage.

If I want sharks and stingrays, I need go no further than my local surf beach. This is Australia after all.....
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes eja it sounds like we have similar dreams. Deformed goldfish, how horrible! lol

pw changed
Phoenixphire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to the_elvish_misfit Send a message via Yahoo to the_elvish_misfit
I had a dream last night that I was cleaning out, what had to be a tank from an aquarium hallway. It was about 4' tall by 2' deep and 20' long I was so excited for some reason. It had an epic filter that recycled under the tank stand/wall like a river. It also had purple green and blue moonlights. The fish were big, all I remember was that my friend's three 8" Silver Dollars were in there too (they died about a month ago, terrible moving accident).

Wow what a geek lol.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I daydreamed all day today that I lived in a fish tank and didn't have to deal with all my day-to-day stress. But I've never had a real dream like that.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com