Do you guys name your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 4 year old names them all. I am not always sure where she gets the names. The dragonfish is Puff Puff, the pleco is Daphne, the albino Oscar is Chop Chop, and our tiger oscars are Chumley and Runion. No names yet for the pair of convicts.

My bronze cory is called Sammy after Georgios Samaras since he scored the two goals that beat Rangers the day before I got it. I have also named my male red wag platy Lennon after Neil Lennon. None of the others have named though.

Aw. I name most of my fish. Marlboro, Wizard, Roxanne, Virginia, Jack, and Louie are my labyrinth fishies and then Misha the pleco and Reno the oto.

My girlfriend names them for me. If I do not like the name I tell her to come up with a different one. :)

Some of the names are:
Louis Catorze
Sunny
Dori
Nemo
Plaidy
Bumblebee

My wife named our first clownfish "nemo" (how original)! My Jack Dempsey is named Jack, none of our other fish have names. I do however call my black and white perc, blackie. The ones that dont have names, are called 'fishies'

I started to....but had to stop. B/c of a messed up cycle as well as several other problems, I came to refer to my fish as (for example) clowny one, clowny two, and for one and a half months and counting, clowny three and four.....luckily no other species got past one, and these two are goin strong along with my striped fang blenny, vampiro uno......hoping he lasts as well cuz I sort of named him.

Some of them, If they got loads of personality they are named accordingly.
I had a pair of breeding angels named Ike and Tina Turner, all lovey dovey one minute then out for eachothers blood the next.

WhiteDevil said:
I had a pair of breeding angels named Ike and Tina Turner, next.

No way, that's what we call our gps!!! Cuz she turns us where we need to go!

Tim Wheatley said:
Only the Oscar, whose name is Oscar.

Haha. My dad called his goldfish chugger. Something like that. I name some. But like my angelfish which are both black I don't. Can't tell them apart! My red tale shark is named Phillip though. :)

-Dylan

i name mine on how they look or try too:)
5 minnows: the smallest is "tiny", one is "lines" because he has a bunch of lines on his side and "teddy" because i like the name teddy. my sister named the last two "guppy" and "puppy".
2 goldfish: "oddball" because he was the biggest one and "dollar" because his color is silver

I didn't used to when I was little haha, but I do now that I'm 19. Funny how that works, huh? Well, I named my ACF Freddy, but only because I had "him" (recently found out he was a she haha) for like five or six years.
I have...:
Pickle-Eyes, Uno, and Magikarp - Peppered Corydoras
Casper and Wendy - Glass Cats (adding more soon)
Leo - Four-Line Pictus Cat (the one in my avatar)
Spartacus - All of the comet goldfish I'm raising for my mom's outdoor pond
And new additions as of two days ago...
Ben and Mello - Eclipse Cats

When I get my dwarf seahorses I plan to name one Casper and one Ponyo. :)

-Dylan

I name all of my fish!
Dwarf Gourami(MY FAVORITE!)- Jamal
Boeseami (SP?) Rainbow- Frankie
Smaller Tiger Barb- Barney
Bigger Tiger Barb- Bozo

Some of our guppies have names - Boris, Alexander (because my three year old said he was great lol), Charlotte, Finderella, Emily and Genevieve. Our Yabbies are Charlie (female but we didn't know it at the time) and Snappy Tom

I almost forgot our one little guppy fry (she got caught up in the net when we bought some females) her name is Frenchy.

Last edited:
If I can tell a fish apart from the rest, I name it. Some of the fish names I'm most proud of are:

Orange GloFish: Torpedo
Bi-Color Blenny: Dantrell
4 Bangai Cardinals: Inky, Pinky, Blinky, and Sue
Firefish Goby: Flash (that fish can disappear into the rocks really quickly)
Green Clown Goby: Midgee
Cave Goby: Dusty
Damsels: Ruckus, Butch (Butch has turned out to be one of the most cowardly fish in the tank)
Yellow Tang: Filet

I have two tangs in QT right now, I have a policy that they don't get named until I'm sure they're going to live through acclimation, and I also like them to "earn" their names somewhat. If these two make it I have names lined up for them. For the one that ends up being the boss after they join Filet (which I think will be the Atlantic Blue Tang, if Filet ends up being in charge I'll have to rethink this), his name will be Russell, named after Russell Hantz from Survivor. The other one will be named Buzz.

OK, I used to not name my fish before I had SW with the exception that my cichlids were collectively called puppies, because of their need for attention and constant begging for food. But, not that I am in the world of SW, they seem to have all received names:

Spot & Break : Maroon Clowns
Trip : Mandarin
Beaker : Yellow Watchman Goby
Chuck Norris : Citron Goby (Brown Morph)
PJ : Wait for it....... Pajama Cardinal

Not too original, I know.

My gf does the honors we have:
3 Glofish- Sandy, Candy, and Mandy
1 male guppy- George
1 fiddler crab- Stupid piece of $&@!
1 DTHM betta- Freddy
2 three lined corydoras- Maximus an Deucimus

Frickin escaped and chased her out of the apartment lol he got down on the ground and literally chased her around lol it was priceless

Back
Top Bottom