Do you have advanced web design skills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flipz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey everyone. i am looking for someone with advanced web design skills for a business venture. im not looking for someone who just knows html or anything like that, i need someone with actual programming skills. im going to give a brief explanation of what id need, and if you are interested then please PM or just respond here.

the basics of the site is that people will need to be able to create an account, upload an image, and then people need to be able to rate the images. that's the very very basics of it.

it is for a web-based business that i am going to be starting, and ill be funding it all. so if you are interested in joining in on this business venture, then just get in touch with me.

please refrain from flaming. i know there are probably scripts out there that can do this, so if someone wants to just recommend one id appreciate that as long as it's tweakable for what i need it to do.

thanks much,
-flipz / brent

The basics you are asking for are pretty simple. You could probably take your generic bulletin board software and customize it to your own needs. You could download one of the many packages out there for free, install it on a Linux(also free) box running Apache (yeah, it's free too) and test your "product" in the convenience of your own home. By keeping everything free, you can only lose time and not money during the "research" phase of your business venture.

If you don't feel comfortable with Linux or Apache, you could put IIS on a Win 2k or higher box and test from there. Just make sure that if it is on a public network, that you have it patched up to current M$ "standards" :lol:.

Or you could write something in Flash. You can make some pretty cool interfaces if you don't fall into the trap of going overboard with the gizmos and crazy abstract whatever-ish-ness that kill otherwise cool sites. Oh yeah, flash is costly, but with the right skills, you can some really cool things. At least you can download a demo of it, which can be opened later with a key, and learn how to use it enough to see if you want to continue it. It comes with a great tutorial and there are plenty of good online resources.

I guess at this point I'm wondering if you personally are looking to develop something or if you want to purchase an "engine" elsewhere.

after doing some research i have found some things i am looking for. i found the source code for one of the "hot or not" sites which will help me. im not doing a hot or not... but i do need something with profiles, pic submission, ratings, etc. so i think this may help a lot.

there were ones that are more advanced with integrated PM's, message boards, etc for around $100. i could put all that in seperately by integrating invision but having it all have a similar layout would be good. but im thinking this may work.

i am somewhat comfortable with linux and everything. but the problem comes that with the 4 computers in my house, all are used by somebody and i can't turn 1 into a server. even on a temporary basis. haha. and all my extra systems are 200 miles away. however i figure i could just use one of those very cheap (free) programs that turns any comp w/ windows into a server. not for the purpose of actually using it like that of course... but for testing purposes. although i think the hot or not script i found was made for linux. heh. hrmm... ill do some more research and figure it out.

thanks for the tips!!

You can do a dual install on one of your pc's. Windows and linux. When you want to test, just boot to the other OS.

Windows 2k comes with IIS, I think XP may as well (not sure about home edition). Install that service and you can host the page without sacrificing any other pc's performance. I am assuming that at least one of the 4 ps's are yours. You can host it on the one with IIS and go to the other pc's and "visit" your site.

I'm guessing you don't have a linux box just sitting around, but with gentoo's "emerge" command and debian's "apt get" command, it's easy to install because there's no rpm packages to manage.

Flipz, we can extend to you a short term hosting with our hosting arm. Give ya a month or two of free hosting to work with your project. Should you like the hosting we can then activate you on one of the paid options or you can then transfer your site over to another host should you decide.

If you want this just PM me and we can work out the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom