Do you keep Freshwater or Saltwater or both?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What type of aquarium do you have?

• Total voters
I only keep freshwater, but I've been researching saltwater for over a year. I think I'm giving up on actually building a SW tank, just because of the expense of doing SW right.

I am similar to dskidmore in that I have looked into SW many times but have not taken the plunge because of expense. I'm a bargain hunter but over the years though I have still spent many hundreds (thousands?) on my FW aquariums. That leaves me with 11 FW tanks that give me room to have to have Malawi, Tanganyikan, South American, mixed, breeding, grow-out, QT, etc. I keep plenty of extra media colonized so I like that I can set up another FW tank in a very short amount of time if need be. I like that even in a small tank I can see interesting colony and mating behaviors. I'd still like to have a reef tank and seahorse tank some day but I'm not sure that it could beat the beauty of a lush green planted tank. I'd love to watch all the critters and things that inhabit a reef and sand bed though :)

I had managed to keep MTS in check until I got the 75 gallon. At that rate, it became worth keeping a full time QT. Half of my CO2 waterbath tank is available for emergency isolation, and there's room on the shelf for a propgation tank or something. I'm trying to decide what I want to do with a third ten gallon.

I had 10+ years with FW, then 6 years without any fish and now 3 years + with SW. Best lesson learned for both is QT and regular PWC keeps the meds away!

Just freshwater now. When I managed a pet shop that sold salt I set up a 20 long saltwater tank, figuring I could help customers better if I actually had gone through it.

I did everything fantastically wrong (now this was in the old days, maybe 20 years ago). Some crushed coral, a few pieces of decorative coral, a HOB filter, saltwater, DONE.

Damned if that tank wasn't a huge success. It was overstocked, wrongly stocked, haphazardly maintained...I tore it down 2 years later because I was BORED with it. The fish never died, so I never got to add anything new! I think the key was I was able to go to the wholesaler and choose the tiniest examples of fish....I have no idear. "Do as the smart people say, not as I do!" Good thing we hired a fish guy...

Like the dogs fed Ol' Roy, who never see a vet, get no heartworm prevention, have 18 litters of puppies, run across the highway to visit their dog friends 5 times a day, and live to be 22....

I've had SW tanks in the past.........a 20 and a 55. They are expensive to set up and I always spent to much money on the inhabitants........so I stick with FW now......planted FW is my passion now.
I've got alot of red cherry shrimp........they are so colorful they could pass for SW.

I have a 56 gallon column planted discus tank and a 12 gallon nano reef... im pretty sure the nano reef is still the more expensive one.

I keep 4 FW tanks and 1 SW nano. I'm planning a 50 gallon reef and almost have the funds for the tank and stand.:)

I have freshwater. Although I been researching brackish so I can have a brackish planted tank with Molly's.

I have had a 40 gal cichlid tank ( a lot of fun), a FW 25(?) gal tank with a few plants and revolving door of species - as cichlids got larger moved to 40g or traded back to a cool LFS. Now I have a 10g **** tank i keep for my kids and it has one lonely killing machine gourami. I have had diff types of gourami but this is a pissed off little guy.

I just bought a used 55g with a nice light so thinking either a plant tank, a SW, or malawi tank. I am a cheapskate so I doubt SW is in the cards. Any other ideas?

Well I have had freshwater my entire life and now I'm brand new to SW. I have already spent $600 dollars on the 14G BioCube and I could buy and set up two 55G for the same price...lol.

Back
Top Bottom