Do you keep your own tank journal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpchick

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I do for each of my tanks - when I did water changes, my test readings, what plants went in, which ones came out, when I added or moved fish.

Since all my tanks (29 high, 20 long, 10 and two 4 gallon nanos) are planted, I also log when and how much I fertilized, along with notes about how the plants responded (like when most all my anacharis melted after adding the label dose of carbon booster).

My journals are the old fashioned kind - hand written with charts at the top of them. I tried keeping them on my laptop, but water and bits of plants don't mix well with a keyboard...

Curious to know if I am just way too Type A, or if others do this also.

I do it too. I find it helps to show if there's any variance in my testing and then I know even if its slight when and what. I think the journal has saved a few of my fish to be honest. If I didn't write it down I'd forget it.

During a burst of organization at the beginning of a semester like two years ago I made one. Never ended up filling it in, though. Had everything written out nicely, spaces for all parameters of each tank and places to take notes. I wrote out like five entries worth of blanks for everything I wanted to keep track of, and did the first one because I made it out right before tank maintenance. The notebook is still around somewhere, it just never was right there when I was doing testing and such, or it was there but I didn't have a pen ready and didn't feel like stopping what I was doing to find one. Essentially it's something I would like to do, but just haven't managed to do religiously.

Yes I been doing it since Aug-2012 when I set tanks back up...it really is a nice organized way of keeping track of things....Me and a friend were looking today for a template that we could also have on our pc's but nothing yet

waiting to get all settled down and this is defintely on the to do list.going to take notes too.

I keep a running tab of all tests on my reef and chart the results over time to identify trends. I test each weekend. If I need to make adjustment doses to my Ca or Alk dosing (I.e. autodosers didn't keep up)'I make a note of it in the log on the day I test. I also put pics over time of my coral frags in the log to compare growth. Along with that I put basic info about each coral I.e. where I got it and what date it went in.

I track it all in an excel file.

I do for each of my tanks - when I did water changes, my test readings, what plants went in, which ones came out, when I added or moved fish.

Since all my tanks (29 high, 20 long, 10 and two 4 gallon nanos) are planted, I also log when and how much I fertilized, along with notes about how the plants responded (like when most all my anacharis melted after adding the label dose of carbon booster).

My journals are the old fashioned kind - hand written with charts at the top of them. I tried keeping them on my laptop, but water and bits of plants don't mix well with a keyboard...

Curious to know if I am just way too Type A, or if others do this also.

you are not alone I keep logs on my salt water tanks
I can tell you as far back as a year of what I did to my tanks and can compare parameters (y)

My journal (aka fish book) has all the notes about tank parameters, notes about interesting species that I stumble upon, care sheets, diagrams of various equipment, etc. It lists current set-up and what I would like in the future.
It's nice to have a book of semi-organized information.

When I first started fish keeping I logged everything. I have gotten lazy about the logs now I wish I had kept up with them. Any problems or just basic info logged in a book can be a great help. Especialy if you have more than one tank!

Back
Top Bottom