do you like fake decorations in your tank or do you like natural decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

do you prefer fake decorations in your tank or do you like natural decorations

• natural

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • fake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • both

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • whatever looks nice :)

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

animalzrok2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
do you like fake decorations in your tank or do you like natural decorations?

For the most part, natural. Although I do have a little bridge in one tank going over a "river" of little blue stones.

It really depends how you build the tank. Artificial pieces that blend in well with the environment of the tank do just as well as All-Natural pieces.

Mostly I have live plants, "drift wood" I collected and rocks I have collected for the tanks. I do have a little fat man in my puffer tank. I don't mind some decor if done right.

I also think its kind of fun when people have their tank decorated really fun with bright colors and decorations, just not sure I would want to look at something like that everyday.

Johny said:
I also think its kind of fun when people have their tank decorated really fun with bright colors and decorations, just not sure I would want to look at something like that everyday.

My daughters tank has fluorescent pink gravel. It's almost mesmerizing!

all natural for me. :) i have yet to buy a decoration for either of my two tanks. finding them is the best part!

blackmolly said:
all natural for me. :) i have yet to buy a decoration for either of my two tanks. finding them is the best part!

Do you use wood? What kind? I've been curious about finding my own.

i found most of mine at beaches on various vacations, so i don't really know lol, but all of it has held up for coming up on a year now, and i like the look of it :) if you do find it... be sure to soak it and boil it very well to get the salt/pollutants out of it. i also have found rocks, shells, and even the occasional plant to use for my tanks.

@sisserydoo - All of my rock and wood was gathered from a stream up a local canyon. The wood is most likely oak and the rocks are all different types. Same advice as before...clean them well before adding them to your tanks.

Thanks! I've been a little cautious about doing it, but the expensive wood at the store came from somewhere too. Probably just lying on the ground somewhere!

it's worth it, and it saves A LOT of money. also buying sand from a home improvement store instead of a pet store is a good way to save money and get a more natural effect.

that tank is amazing! i can tell for some of the plants :) haha
i couldn't aquascape like that for my life! lol

I use a mix in mine as well, I don't have a green thumb for plants :-(

Definitely a mix of stuff here, with many tanks its just easier plus the fact most are set up for spawning there aren't many "show tanks" and the 2 main tanks in the livingroom are always setup nicely for the africans other than the scattered pieces of pvc for fry to hide in when I miss someone who's holding and the other one well my pet that lives in there redecorates to her tastes. For the gravel or sand in tanks most are natural, a few of the bottom guppy tanks have a darwins grab bag of colors LOL driftwood for tanks I collect at the beach/coast then bring it home to soak in the pond until I need it along with any extra gravel/free stuff gets rinsed and put in the pond for the emergencies tank set ups. Plants have a few tanks with real but that's mostly java moss that when I thing its given to the Uaru or Labeos and the guppys, platys & swordtails have random floating fake plants

do you like fake decorations in your tank or do you like natural decorations?

Natural all the way!!

Once I made the commitment to do live plants, build a slate cave and add malaysian DW to the mix ... all fake had to go! EXCEPT .. for my son's pirate ship. It's a gift from his grandfather (along with the red-tail shark). I wont get rid of it, but little by little I'll surround it with plants and other DW until only the sails are visible:D.

Back
Top Bottom