Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: HOB or Canister Filtration for your aquarium?
Hang on Back (HOB) 11 45.83%
Canister Filtration 15 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to Jesse18
Canister all the way

Jesse18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Originally Posted by LyndaB

I can't believe how quiet and maintenance free the canister is.
+ erm 2?
Canisters are the way to go. I'm slowly ditching all my other filters and getting canisters. IMO/E superior to HOBs.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
I use both as I have several different sized tanks. But my real answer is I like what ever is affordable.
RedFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have a fluval 305 canister on my 60g
an HOB on my 10g and 29g.

- looking into mini canisters so i can put one on my 10g..

rreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
I love the canister, but I have only 1 on my 37-gallon tank. I have hobs on my 20 and ten gallon tanks. I want a canister for my 20-gallon but cant justify the expense right now. I wish there was a canister filter where I could chain my 5 smaller 2.5 - 5 gallon tanks.
Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I've always had HOB filters, but I would really like to try a canister next time I set up a new tank. I would have picked one up for my 30gal but it came with 2 HOB's in great shape so I just stuck with them.
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular
I use both with sponge filters. They have they're advantages and disadvantages. I use the canister filter for water flow with the cichlids and the HOB for the gold fish tanks.
Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I use both types and love my canister. It's an ehiem on my 55 and have hob on my smaller tanks, aquaclear is a nice hob, same as emporer bio wheels, don't ever get tetra filters- pure garbage they are so loud and make every other hob sound quiet as a canister and they keep binding up on me. I'm slowly swapping them out for aquaclears.
kdpuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm really surprised it's 11 - 15. There's really no comparison: canisters will always be quieter, they aren't as visible,and they don't take up space behind the tank. I think HOB's are fine for some situations, especially when money is tight, or when the visual of the top of the tank is unimportant (fishroom tanks etc.), but the primary difference is price. It's kinda like asking if a 75g or a 300g is better. Of course I'd rather have the 300, but if price is limiting, I'll go with the former. Of course, that's just my opinion

Dihydrogen monoxide is an industrial solvent that can be found in your local streams and rivers. Vote to ban dihydrogen monoxide immediately!
roundar is offline   Reply With Quote

canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters, hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com