Do you like HOB or Canister filters for your aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOB or Canister Filtration for your aquarium?

• Total voters

nextgeneration40

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just curious what is more utilized HOB's or Canister Filtration for our aquariums Fyi I like Aquaclear HOB personally..:)

Ive only used HOB, by from what ive heard, canisters are great too.

I have a Rena XP3 on my 20g long and 55g...give lots of flow to keep things clean...I also run an aquaclear as well for extra filtration and in case I need a filter for a quarantine tank. If I had one, canister is what I would choose.

Rena filstar xp3 as my main filter and a hob dual bio wheel to back it up on a 55. Total over doing it but it's works great

i have a fluval 305 canister on my 60g
an HOB on my 10g and 29g.

- looking into mini canisters so i can put one on my 10g..

ONCE YOU GET A CANISTER FILTER... YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK!!!

I love the canister, but I have only 1 on my 37-gallon tank. I have hobs on my 20 and ten gallon tanks. I want a canister for my 20-gallon but cant justify the expense right now. I wish there was a canister filter where I could chain my 5 smaller 2.5 - 5 gallon tanks.

I've always had HOB filters, but I would really like to try a canister next time I set up a new tank. I would have picked one up for my 30gal but it came with 2 HOB's in great shape so I just stuck with them.

I use both with sponge filters. They have they're advantages and disadvantages. I use the canister filter for water flow with the cichlids and the HOB for the gold fish tanks.

I use both types and love my canister. It's an ehiem on my 55 and have hob on my smaller tanks, aquaclear is a nice hob, same as emporer bio wheels, don't ever get tetra filters- pure garbage they are so loud and make every other hob sound quiet as a canister and they keep binding up on me. I'm slowly swapping them out for aquaclears.

I'm really surprised it's 11 - 15. There's really no comparison: canisters will always be quieter, they aren't as visible,and they don't take up space behind the tank. I think HOB's are fine for some situations, especially when money is tight, or when the visual of the top of the tank is unimportant (fishroom tanks etc.), but the primary difference is price. It's kinda like asking if a 75g or a 300g is better. Of course I'd rather have the 300, but if price is limiting, I'll go with the former. Of course, that's just my opinion :)

Back
Top Bottom