Do your other pets get jealous of your aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squeaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
My cat Squeaky gets extremely jealous anytime I look at any of my tanks. He launches himself off the floor to my shoulders to get my attention. I've also caught him on top of my tanks drinking the water as it comes out of the HoB filter, is that even ok for him. All I use is Prime for water changes and add a little bit of salt to my freshwater tank.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't say the cats get jealous, they really like to swipe their paws at the glass though especially since the Kuhlis were added.

Plus I'm constantly cleaning nose prints off the whole thing.

Mine aren't jealous but they love them!

http://i.imgur.com/iYebIcm.png

We had to put one of our cats down back in December. When we had initially brought him in November when he first looked sick I mentioned to the vet that he occasionally drank out of the tank and if that could have been part of the issue. He assured us it was fine and wasn't the issue. After X-rays they discovered it was cancer and was totally not related at all to him drinking from the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My other pet's don't get jealous, my whippet love's staring into my tank's.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427631957.485558.jpg

Needless to say she likes to drink the water. She also chases my dojo across the 75g

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

View attachment 268662

Needless to say she likes to drink the water. She also chases my dojo across the 75g

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ahh cute!
Year's ago I had a cat, one day I went out and she ate my fish! I was so upset as I had just got them back to full health . Now all my tank's have lids :)

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

I think my dogs get jealous of the amount of time I spend on the aquariums. They also get freaked when the sparking gouramis make their croaking noise, which has become a regular thing lately for some reason.

"What tank?? Only me!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1427635947779.jpg
    1427635947779.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 95
Mckenzie could care less. She's too busy sleeping.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1427636846104.jpg
    1427636846104.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 80
I have one cat who gets jealous anytime my attention is on anything but him. Work, crafts, the other cat, aquariums, whatever. He is pretty indiscriminate in his jealousy.

As for drinking the water, I can't really see hwo it would be bad for them. Though, I am not an expert on such matters. Sure, the water has some fish poop in it, but it also has been treated to remove heavy metals and chlorine, so I can't see why it would be bad. My other cat compulsively drank out of my small betta tanks in while we were in college and I never witnessed any ill effects. The bottles say that the stuff that the water conditioner is not to be used on fish that will be consumed, but I think that is more a matter of "it is for pet fish so why bother going through the rigorous testing required for it to be used on fish meant for human consumption" than anything else.

We have wood floors so after getting the 16g setup in the living room I bought a small rug to put in front of it. The dogs of course thought it was theirs so they get annoyed when I boot them off to work in the tank :nono:

I never let any of my pets into my bedroom, because once my dog are an entire can of goldfish flakes. He literally ripped it open! I also have an evil cat who got in once, and he sat down, stared at the fish, and licked his mouth. I could tell he was plotting how to catch them...

I never let any of my pets into my bedroom, because once my dog are an entire can of goldfish flakes. He literally ripped it open! I also have an evil cat who got in once, and he sat down, stared at the fish, and licked his mouth. I could tell he was plotting how to catch them...

No mom, you do not need to do something in the tank again...

img_3193958_0_2e490291d546bfb6d467b35bc89746a5.jpg

No mom, you do not need to do something in the tank again...

img_3193963_0_2e490291d546bfb6d467b35bc89746a5.jpg

How is your dog not 100lbs? Just with that sad face and floppy ear I wouldn't be able to resist giving him/her way too many treats!

Such a cutie!

Thanks

How is your dog not 100lbs? Just with that sad face and floppy ear I wouldn't be able to resist giving him/her way too many treats!

We call that 'shelter face' :rolleyes: She is small though, my little itty pittie. She was from a hoarding/neglect/abuse situation so her growth was stunted. Was crazy afraid of plastic grocery bags for the longest time, don't even want to think about why :( Out of the 4 she's definitely mom's baby :flowers:

Thanks

We call that 'shelter face' :rolleyes: She is small though, my little itty pittie. She was from a hoarding/neglect/abuse situation so her growth was stunted. Was crazy afraid of plastic grocery bags for the longest time, don't even want to think about why :( Out of the 4 she's definitely mom's baby :flowers:

As a Veterinary Technician of 14 years I'm a true believer that everyone should adopt a shelter pet. My clinic works in co-ops with a no kill cat shelter. My baby Mckenzie had rough life too. But she loves life. As you can see she has a derpy ear. Gives her personality!

Attachments

• 1427667103236.jpg
    1427667103236.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom