Does anyone know how hot it is???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Omg our air conditioner compressor is out and I'm almost to the miserable hot point but all I can't think about are my fish!!! Got out of bed to add an airstone to one of my cichlid tank. The Betta is the only one currently without an airstone. Tanks are at 84. Hope he comes fast tomorrow.... I have 4 tanks full of my babies. My poor dogs are in their winter coat bc they have not got their hair cut .... All my babies :((

Oh I'm in ft worth tx were it is 4am and almost 90 degrees.... Ugh

Run a fan over the tops of your tanks and that will help cool them down.

As for the dogs, a recent study shows that it's not necessarily a good thing to shave dogs in the summer (if that's what you do). They indicated that their coats insulate the heat in the winter and repel the heat in the summer. As long as your dog knows how to pant, he will maintain a proper core temp. (y)

My a/c went down last week and my tanks went up to 90!!! The only thing that died was some algae in my biocube. I also was putting ziploc bags full of ice in the tanks, helps keep the temp down a bit. :)

Good luck, hope your repairman gets there quick!

Taking tops off and a fan works wonders. I also did a few extra water changes till we got a window unit in. They are still hovering at 80 ish bc we just want humidity out mainly... ( were down to one income so gotta save where we can ya know) all my fish are happy and thriving :) consistency is the big thing.

I agree, it is miserable. I am not in as bad a shape as you all, but here in TN highs are in the 90's and humidity is hanging in the 80-85% range. Just thinking about it makes me sweat.

As for the dogs, a recent study shows that it's not necessarily a good thing to shave dogs in the summer (if that's what you do). They indicated that their coats insulate the heat in the winter and repel the heat in the summer. As long as your dog knows how to pant, he will maintain a proper core temp. (y)

I second both comments.
I also read that it is not necessary to shave dogs, but you can cut their belly a little short. This gives them a little relief when they lay on the cool ground/floor.

LyndaB said:

They are Lhasa apsos they get their hair cut summer/ fall/ winter... So I feel bad it isn't while it's so hot... And I only have one fan and I was trying to share it with one of the tanks ( I have 4 stocked ) my dog is sick and throwing up so I figured the fish can handle 84 for a little while... The fan wasn't helping much.... Ive been floating ice in containers in the 55 it's not really made it cooler but I think it's helping keep it from getting hotter. I called the office but no answer. I hope the come soon.... Ugh.... This is frustrating. I was awake all night except for like one hour. Lol hopefully they'll show up and save the day soon

carey said:
My a/c went down last week and my tanks went up to 90!!! The only thing that died was some algae in my biocube. I also was putting ziploc bags full of ice in the tanks, helps keep the temp down a bit. :)

Well I could handle algae death lol. I have goldfish and I know they need colder water but I know they are tough to. My African cichlids seem ok and Betta is just blowing bubbles like crazy!! Lol however I'm a little worried about my rummynose since they are yet to settle in.... :((

Bl80 said:
Taking tops off and a fan works wonders. I also did a few extra water changes till we got a window unit in. They are still hovering at 80 ish bc we just want humidity out mainly... ( were down to one income so gotta save where we can ya know) all my fish are happy and thriving :) consistency is the big thing.

Ehh I understand... My hubby works and I do photography in the side but hardly any business right now. I'm also in the ministry so i cannot hold a regular job either ...

As for the fan only have one and 4 tanks that are stocked. I'm praying they will all be ok. So far so good. I've got wet rags on or of my dogs when the fan on her and me bc she has been throwing up.... Poor baby :((

adadkins1 said:
I agree, it is miserable. I am not in as bad a shape as you all, but here in TN highs are in the 90's and humidity is hanging in the 80-85% range. Just thinking about it makes me sweat.

I second both comments.
I also read that it is not necessary to shave dogs, but you can cut their belly a little short. This gives them a little relief when they lay on the cool ground/floor.

We have had a streak of 35/35 days over a 100 more like 104 / 108 no rain...
We are praying for rain we need it so bad.

Thanks guys we are all making it so far !! Thanks for the advice and thanks Carey for giving me some hope that they'll be ok :)

I would go with ice solution if your really worried. But the betta probably doesn't notice a thing.:fish1::fish2:

iheartmyed9 said:
Im from Dallas, I heard the streets were at 144 degrees the other day and that its been steadily 110+ every day, glad i dont live in TX anymore

Yeah we have had a heat streak with no relief

Bettacrazy said:
I would go with ice solution if your really worried. But the betta probably doesn't notice a thing.:fish1::fish2:

Lol Yeah Betta was happy. I was worried about the other fish but they made it fine and the air is back to freezing me to death! Lol thank the Lord for air :))

I know you will all hate me for this, but oh how I love it here! Nice, 50-60 degrees in the morning and in the afternoon just between 70-80 degreees. It's nice weather for the summer :D

bruinsbro1997 said:
I know you will all hate me for this, but oh how I love it here! Nice, 50-60 degrees in the morning and in the afternoon just between 70-80 degreees. It's nice weather for the summer :D

RUDE!!! hahahahahaha I'm jealous ... Although in the winter it's probably freezing so I'm not to jealous

Flossie said:
Oh I'm in ft worth tx were it is 4am and almost 90 degrees.... Ugh

Flossie do you ever go to Pappadeauxs?
I use to travel to Ft. Worth quite a bit, that's my favorite restaurant in the world!

RUDE!!! hahahahahaha I'm jealous ... Although in the winter it's probably freezing so I'm not to jealous

Haha nope it's not freezing actually. Seasons are kinda switched here...summer is cooler and winter is hotter, but not that hot, only about 70 degrees. Highest we've had it so far here was 90...maybe it's cuz we live by the coast.

HAVAMAL said:
Flossie do you ever go to Pappadeauxs?
I use to travel to Ft. Worth quite a bit, that's my favorite restaurant in the world!

I don't think I've ever even been there. Lol I'll have to try it sometime

bruinsbro1997 said:
Haha nope it's not freezing actually. Seasons are kinda switched here...summer is cooler and winter is hotter, but not that hot, only about 70 degrees. Highest we've had it so far here was 90...maybe it's cuz we live by the coast.

Have I mentioned I don't like u?? Hahaha jk jk jk :)

Back
Top Bottom