Does anyone watch Tanked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched part of one episode of tanked.

Client with more money than brains: "We want a tank with sharks and aligators"

Tanked guys: "Sharks are saltwater, alligators are freshwater."

Client: "We still want a tank with sharks and alligators"

*Turned the TV off*

*Turned the TV off*

you should have watched. They made a huge, low tank that was divided diagonally into two tanks so you could see through both sides.
Then they arranged with a local wildlife/alligator sanctuary to loan them small gators, take care of them and swap them out as needed.
Same with the sharks.

Actually one of the more cool set-ups they have done.

you should have watched. They made a huge, low tank that was divided diagonally into two tanks so you could see through both sides.
Then they arranged with a local wildlife/alligator sanctuary to loan them small gators, take care of them and swap them out as needed.
Same with the sharks.

Actually one of the more cool set-ups they have done.
That does sound cool, but I can't handle catering to that kind of callous stupidity. "I don't care if these animals have WILDLY different needs, I want to put them together because I have money and need to compensate for lacking a few other things."

I mean, seriously. You don't even have to be a hobbyist or have any fishkeeping experience to understand that you can't just put a saltwater fish with a freshwater reptile. Just basic common knowledge.

*Turned the TV off*

:confused::eek: Yeesh.

Found this article related to this topic : Tanked learns a hard lesson from hasty fish stocking

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Reading now.

I wish I hadn't started this thread, I was just trying to make conversation and talk about some of the interesting things they do on the show (like the interesting tanks and stuff).

Maybe a mod will come along and delete this thread...

Eh, don't worry about it. The intent was good. I think this thread has run its course. Replies will slow down and it will sink into oblivion.
I would really like to see a show similar to "How it Works" where you get to see the behind the scenes at public aquariums, science institutes, and large custom jobs. Discussion of plumbing, filtration, lighting, and stocking. And the science behind it. Of course, it is not mainstream or sensational or controversial and would be too boring to capture an audience. But I'd watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Eh, don't worry about it. The intent was good. I think this thread has run its course. Replies will slow down and it will sink into oblivion.
I would really like to see a show similar to "How it Works" where you get to see the behind the scenes at public aquariums, science institutes, and large custom jobs. Discussion of plumbing, filtration, lighting, and stocking. And the science behind it. Of course, it is not mainstream or sensational or controversial and would be too boring to capture an audience. But I'd watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

:)

I agree, how it works for tanks would be awesome!! There's plenty of shows on how it works for other things, why not on aquariums?

:)

I agree, how it works for tanks would be awesome!! There's plenty of shows on how it works for other things, why not on aquariums?

Get Morgan Freeman to narrate it and thousands would watch it! (I don't need Mr. Freeman, I'd watch because...I'm a nerd!)

I would so volunteer for that show to show off the setups for the lab I work in and the aquaculture research center on campus. It's not like I'd get in trouble for showing off the "bio-hazard" setups in the disease lab... :whistle:

I would so volunteer for that show to show off the setups for the lab I work in and the aquaculture research center on campus. It's not like I'd get in trouble for showing off the "bio-hazard" setups in the disease lab... :whistle:

Awesome! I feel kinda left out. I work in my school's Biology labs and we have two HUGE goldfish in a ten gallon. But Watson and Franklin (the goldfish) are happy and healthy and they have fresh grown macroalgae to munch on.

Awesome! I feel kinda left out. I work in my school's Biology labs and we have two HUGE goldfish in a ten gallon. But Watson and Franklin (the goldfish) are happy and healthy and they have fresh grown macroalgae to munch on.
I'm lucky enough to go to a school with a very good and very underrated marine science program, and a broad spectrum of marine science to boot (physical and chemical oceanography, biological oceanography and marine biology, marine policy, and aquaculture). I gravitate towards aquaculture because I've been keeping fish for so long. We've got some pretty crazy systems, including a massive (500g+?) saltwater reef display tank, a room filled wall to wall with 3 gallon betta fish tanks, an 18-tank flowthrough system that housed rainbow trout for a while, seahorse breeding setups, abalone setups, atlantic salmon setups, etc.... And a work-in-progress discus setup for my undergraduate honors thesis!

Hell, you could probably do a cool mini series just on each of those setups.

I'm lucky enough to go to a school with a very good and very underrated marine science program, and a broad spectrum of marine science to boot (physical and chemical oceanography, biological oceanography and marine biology, marine policy, and aquaculture). I gravitate towards aquaculture because I've been keeping fish for so long. We've got some pretty crazy systems, including a massive (500g+?) saltwater reef display tank, a room filled wall to wall with 3 gallon betta fish tanks, an 18-tank flowthrough system that housed rainbow trout for a while, seahorse breeding setups, abalone setups, atlantic salmon setups, etc.... And a work-in-progress discus setup for my undergraduate honors thesis!

Hell, you could probably do a cool mini series just on each of those setups.

Well, my jaw just hit the floor. I go to a community college hence just two goldfish (who are such begs, but very cute when they come up to say hi when we clean the labs). I'm studying Biotechnology and transferring to study Molecular Biology.

Well, my jaw just hit the floor. I go to a community college hence just two goldfish (who are such begs, but very cute when they come up to say hi when we clean the labs). I'm studying Biotechnology and transferring to study Molecular Biology.
In the long run, you'll be better off for it. Marine Science is too narrow a major for an undergrad, and I'm only doing it because I get reduced tuition for it through a NEBHE program. (and because I want to be a research scientist in aquaculture). As it is I'm backing it up with a more "serious" math major and statistics minor.

Molecular biology is awesome and you could easily get into a graduate school for marine bio/aquaculture if you wanted (one with awesome setups like we have here). Actually, a graduate student in the disease lab I work in was a molecular bio major.

Back
Top Bottom