Does anyone watch Tanked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be careful with one of these threads. They are quite controversial across the aquarium community, it's best not to bring it up. Varying opinions everywhere.

No it's not your fault, it mostly they're "cycling" aspect not the tanks themselves. Just don't want you to get in trouble with something like this.

And the tanks where there are insane over stockings- the tattoo tank with a mandarin and a ton of other fish? Fifty gallons but mostly full of sand and rocks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah. I wish they'd go over cycling and testing and water changes in each episode for at least a few minutes.

I didn't mean to open a can of worms.

And yes, it does seem like they tend to over stock sometimes :(. I've seen maybe 5 episodes total so I don't know the show that well.

Thanks. Too bad you can't delete a topic you started.

I would be careful with one of these threads. They are quite controversial across the aquarium community, it's best not to bring it up. Varying opinions everywhere.

+1 !!!!! As I recall the last one was fair for a bit but then got sort of "heated" after a bit.

I would make the request now, Mods, please remove before this goes bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I am going

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

wow, why you guys afraid of differing opinions???

that's how fascism gets started, fear of opposing ideas.

anywho, assuming that what you see on screen is the whole picture is wrong. They set-up the tanks for the video shoot, then take the fish out and then go through the cycling process. In the previous thread someone even posted pics of a tank they did on a show with signs on it explaining why the tank was empty and the basics of the cycling process.

I very seriously doubt they have built up the business they have on bad advice and poor set-ups.
concerning the stocking complaints, also remember that many of the tanks they do are also being maintained and serviced by either them or another service, so the tanks are from a "set and forget it" endeavor for them.

Now would you guys honestly watch a show where every episode they spent 10-20 minutes going over the whole cycling and proper care malarkey????

Seriously, it's an entertainment show, not an educational show and to think that what you see on the final show is the complete story is just plain naive'.

I think the tanks are hideous personally, they went into the long islands mediums house and took a huge dump in the living room, that new pond show is pretty sweet though, "pond stars" heheh get it?!! Its like pawn stars but instead of pawn.. it's pond!!! What will they think if next??!?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used to oppose tanked and those affiliated but then I learned what actually goes down.
Animal Planet it to blame, not Acrylic Tank Manufacturing. They only insanely stock those tanks for the camera and they only instantly throw the fishes in again for the camera. And when they show you that instant cycling stuff that's just a marketing thing, they really do cycle their tanks.
A member on here who's name I've totally forgot saw one of their tanks in NY and it had a sign on it that explained why their tank was empty, because it was cycling.

some of the tanks they have done leave me wondering "why?", but some of the other setups have been pretty awesome, and some of the more questionable ones have been the customers idea or design, so.....

It also helps to keep in mind they design these tanks and decorations for folks who DO NOT know much about the hobby, so the systems are designed for ease of daily chores and are usually maintained by a service. That in itself can be a limiting factor in the types of tanks they do and stuff. I think they have only done one reef tank on the show and only a few freshwater ones.

the pond stars show gives the impression of "just dumping in the fish" much more than Tanked, IMHO.

some of the tanks they have done leave me wondering "why?", but some of the other setups have been pretty awesome, and some of the more questionable ones have been the customers idea or design, so.....

It also helps to keep in mind they design these tanks and decorations for folks who DO NOT know much about the hobby, so the systems are designed for ease of daily chores and are usually maintained by a service. That in itself can be a limiting factor in the types of tanks they do and stuff. I think they have only done one reef tank on the show and only a few freshwater ones.

the pond stars show gives the impression of "just dumping in the fish" much more than Tanked, IMHO.

+1
Yup I think that about sums it up.

anywho, assuming that what you see on screen is the whole picture is wrong. They set-up the tanks for the video shoot, then take the fish out and then go through the cycling process. In the previous thread someone even posted pics of a tank they did on a show with signs on it explaining why the tank was empty and the basics of the cycling process.

I very seriously doubt they have built up the business they have on bad advice and poor set-ups.
concerning the stocking complaints, also remember that many of the tanks they do are also being maintained and serviced by either them or another service, so the tanks are from a "set and forget it" endeavor for them.

Now would you guys honestly watch a show where every episode they spent 10-20 minutes going over the whole cycling and proper care malarkey????

Seriously, it's an entertainment show, not an educational show and to think that what you see on the final show is the complete story is just plain naive'.

Speaking for myself ONLY, and others may wish to agree, I don't think it's just about the differing opinions but I do understand what you're saying.

To "assume" what's seen on tv is the whole picture is where the problem begins. Somebody gets "the bug" after seeing this show and doesn't take into account the part of behind the scenes that's not seen and hardly ever talked about. The one time it was discussed, is probably the show that only 1/2 of 1% of the normal viewers watched.

I'll agree that it's nearly impossible to have built a business up to the capacity in which they operate based on poor stocking and so on. However, the show is called "Tanked" their company is "Acrylic Tank Manufacturing". There's a big difference, IMO of "we can build anything you want" and "what is the proper method for putting a bunch of fish in here".

It is a show for entertaining. But as I said before about getting "the bug". Most people are naive enough to believe it's that easy simply due to no education about the hobby. The doghouse episode particularly comes to mind. It happens all the time and the proof is right here on AA. We all see the same threads. What's wrong with my fish ? I have a combination of danios, platties, and a red tail and Bala shark and ghost shrimp in my 29g tall, but I think some are missing. I've noticed over the past couple days it looks like my count has gone down........... Oh yeah and a JD but he's small. Only like 3-1/2 maybe 4".

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Okay but by doing the ridiculous stocks they are encouraging home aquarium owners to do the same to "Look like Tanked!". Anyone recall that little kid's TV tank with four rainbow sharks and some balas? It was a five gal MAYBE. That makes some little kid think "oh look if those pros do it it can't be bad can it?"

It's good to know that they really do cycle the tanks and everything :). That's great!

As for copycats, and tiny tanks with fish not right for those small tanks (such as the 5yr old w a 5g mentioned above by Emerald), that is awful :(. That's why I think a few minutes should be devoted to discussing cycling and proper stocking before they show the final product with all the fish inside. It would help educate without boring everyone, especially if it was on all episodes. It would help uneducated viewers realize there's more to it than it seems.

I posted the pictures of a tank I visited on the last thread. It's not being afraid of differing opinions, it's knowing that someone will disagree and then people will get into huge arguments, sometimes resulting in bans from the site.
It's best that the thread ends, before people get into trouble.

Here is the post I made, and I basically give to all these threads. Since April, (when I visited this), I have seen multiple others in my area (FL not NY), and most have the same type of warnings on the tanks.

PS Be sure to click view original for the pictures

Well, I just left the wine store where the tanked tank was. And Boy am I very disappointed and impressed. The wine tank is definitely the best out of the 5 tanks at the store.
I am proud to say that the store has learned about cycling the aquarium, and got rid of most of the fish ATM had put in. Currently there are 3 squirrel fish and a yellow tang. The tank is stunning when you walk in and is maintained very well.
However, I wish I could say that about the rest if the tanks at the store. Three other salt tanks, a fresh tank and a terrarium can be found in the store. The second biggest salt tank seems to get the most attention. Clean, well stocked, except it's quite artificial. Which goes for all of the tanks in the store. All but one located in the pure alcohol are filled with mostly fake freshwater plants. The corals that are in the tanks aren't very well maintained.
They have radions lighting two of the tanks. However their color balance is WAYYYY off. Not correct for support photosynthetic creatures. Way too much green and red... Not sure what the owner is thinking.
There are also major cases of salt creep and Cyano in some of the tanks. Looks terrible.
In reality the only good tank in the store is the one by ATM... Funny huh? Overall I am definitely impressed by te tanked team, but the owner needs to step up his game.
View attachment 233430View attachment 233431
View attachment 233432View attachment 233433View attachment 233434

They're a company catering to their customers. Of course most people here will look at some of their work and say "really". But thats what their customer wanted and it took an amazing amount of creativity to creat these tanks. Im a dork. So yea id love to see their building proces, plumbing, equipment, and cycling process. But again normal people wouldn't. Congrats to two guys that built a buisness in this feild that people wanna watch on tv. Its a tough feild to succeed in. I enjoy the show.

Last edited:
Since when is television the truth? Everything should be taken with a grain of salt and a brain. Look at the reality shows? Do we really believe nothing is set up just for the cameras? Lol. Enjoy the show, but realize what it and other shows are, not reality, money makers ( just larger versions of advertising). Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom