Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

These are mammals being discussed now lol. Completely different than fish.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
These are mammals being discussed now lol. Completely different than fish.
Yes that's true but I'm comparing then to those of water dwellers haha. Just throwing it out there. Look at the cuttle fish

Old 02-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Yes that's true but I'm comparing then to those of water dwellers haha. Just throwing it out there. Look at the cuttle fish
What about them?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post

What about them?
Look at how they display their color and for different things. Has there really been enough testing done to determine fish truly don't have emotions?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Those are social cues and ways to communicate not emotion. This thread is discussing fish being sad, happy, angry, etc. what you guys are arguing is basic behavior. Fish don't get sad when a mate dies, they aren't happy when they eat. They just do what they do because it is hard wired into their system or learned when young.
If you can show me a true example of a fish showing "human" emotion I will back down but nothing to that extent has been shown.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Look at how they display their color and for different things. Has there really been enough testing done to determine fish truly don't have emotions?
No there hasn't but there's no tests saying they have it either.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #37
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Well, cephalopods have very different brain structures from fish. When dealing with animals, I personally err on the side of caution about limiting their mental potential since many creatures have much more going on in their brains than they have previously (or presently) been given credit for. Fish have a pretty simple brain in comparison to many other creatures. You might be surprised at how much research has actually been done on the fish brain and fish behaviors. They are a more readily study-able organism than many. I have to day that overall, I agree that fish do not show any human-relatable emotions. They do show behaviors and reactions to their environment, but they do not have a part of the brain where higher emotions are processed. That said, I generally still refer to a healthy, active fish as "happy" because it is the easiest thing to say in the situation.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
Well, cephalopods have very different brain structures from fish. When dealing with animals, I personally err on the side of caution about limiting their mental potential since many creatures have much more going on in their brains than they have previously (or presently) been given credit for. Fish have a pretty simple brain in comparison to many other creatures. You might be surprised at how much research has actually been done on the fish brain and fish behaviors. They are a more readily study-able organism than many. I have to day that overall, I agree that fish do not show any human-relatable emotions. They do show behaviors and reactions to their environment, but they do not have a part of the brain where higher emotions are processed. That said, I generally still refer to a healthy, active fish as "happy" because it is the easiest thing to say in the situation.
I agree very much. To add many fish have complex social structures (african cichlids) and show high levels of intelligence. The argument here IMO is that the op is saying fish show humanly emotions which I don't see proof of in this thread. I'm enjoying the argument though. Good debate people
Old 02-28-2014, 01:05 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think the clown were loving the anemone not as a host only... But as a friend ..no body ever know what's in her head that moment but i think it had a bit emotional behavior..thank you guys for replying on my post..
Old 02-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Below is a great book about animal emotions. I really enjoyed this book. It is excellent!!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0385314280

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com