Does "Tanked" or "Fish tank kings" bug anybody else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spirit Hawk

Aquarium Advice Regular
These shows bug me. They don't even bother to cycle their tanks, and some of their facts are outdated.

Once on the show they even said how goldfish are the perfect fish for small aquariums, because they give off little waste.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, it really sets a bad example for people who are considering aquariums.

This is the way I see it.

I'm sure the guys know exactly what they are doing, but for TV's sake this really bugs me. The amount of stocking problems is just reckless for a show that gets so much publicity about this hobby.

Caleb

The fake coral inserts bug me i want a reef tank so i can get cool corals

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, bugs me too. I was told by Dr. Tim (yes the guy Dr. Tim from Dr. Tims' One and Only) that Tanked used lots of his product to get good BB going (it was at MACNA last year when I asked him about his product) I personally haven't needed to use it because I have filters with extra media to use.

The worst episode was when they built an aquarium behind the batter in a baseball stadium.once stocked ,they began belting balls at it to make sure it was Strong enough [moderator edit]��

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the skateboard tank? They're torturing the poor fish when they ride their skate boards over it. I respect their tank building skills, but I HATE their fish stocking skills.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one that bugs me the most is the drumset tank... they went through a ton of trouble to make sure that nobody would actually drum on it, and them stuffed a dozen fancy goldfish into the small, filter less tanks.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You see, tanked is the reason why people go out and cram an Oscar in a 5 gallon tank, they see all these ridiculously stocked tanks and think, oh I can totally do that! Like my dad was asking why I could only put like 14-16 fish in my 55 gallon tang tank. It just really grinds my gears

Sent via echolocation

You see, tanked is the reason why people go out and cram an Oscar in a 5 gallon tank, they see all these ridiculously stocked tanks and think, oh I can totally do that! Like my dad was asking why I could only put like 14-16 fish in my 55 gallon tang tank. It just really grinds my gears

Sent via echolocation

That's what I don't like about it. They are knowingly fueling the false propaganda about stuff a ton of fish in there. They know it will never work yet do it anyway. That's the example they are setting for new fishkeepers and it's just beyond wrong. If they did things the right way, I'd love the show.

Caleb

Every thread ive ever seen started about these shows has been closed just FYI. But I will defend them, the overstocked tanks are for the show only, after the cameras leave they take the fish out, properly cycle then they go from there.
But very few, if any, of those tanks remained stocked as seen on tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quick search on youtube and this came up. They do the things on the show because it is a show and wouldn't make money otherwise. Not everyone wants to see a species only tank, they want an active tank.

Every thread ive ever seen started about these shows has been closed just FYI. But I will defend them, the overstocked tanks are for the show only, after the cameras leave they take the fish out, properly cycle then they go from there.

They know what they are doing but the point I'm trying to make is that they don't show what it is really like.

Unless you are knowledge about this hobby like the people here, then the rest of the viewers are clueless how a tank really works.

I'm just saying the people who are called "experts" are misleading those who don't know better.

Caleb

There is a product that cycles the tank in a few hours. It is from Prodibio Start Up. I have not used this. I am not sure that Tanked uses the product. I do not have a salt water tank. But I agree that if I did I would want living coral in the tank. There customers want to look at the pretty tank. They really do not know what it takes to keep the tank in good condition. A fish shop that I go to helped out the guys from Tanked on a build. They were funny and such. The store has the maintenance contract for the tank that was built. I remember one Reef tank built that the customers wanted live coral in the tank. I always wondered about how the fish are doing after a day or two. Some of the fish are very expensive.

The worst episode was when they built an aquarium behind the batter in a baseball stadium.once stocked ,they began belting balls at it to make sure it was Strong enough [moderator edit]��

Yeah like scare the fish half to death with vibrations lol

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They have a product called colony made by their own company, it is basically like a bacteria in a bottle thing to help cycle. I'm sure they use that.

African Cichlid python combo was cool but not necessarily....necessary..

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The only thing that gets me is, they don't tell people that in the episodes. They leave this illusion of colorful, heavily stocked tanks. If they did an episode explaining that those tanks weren't supposed to be stocked like that, then I'd watch the show more often.

Sent via echolocation

The only thing that gets me is, they don't tell people that in the episodes. They leave this illusion of colorful, heavily stocked tanks. If they did an episode explaining that those tanks weren't supposed to be stocked like that, then I'd watch the show more often.

Sent via echolocation

+10000000000

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom