Does the location of the tank matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Some time ago my wife decided to move some furnitures around, and the tank has found himself a new place in the room... And then I've noticed, that life in the tank has frozen - apple snail hid himself under the bunch of java moss, my shark stayed in the coral decoration all the time, shrimps has disappeared from sight...

After about three weeks we've decided, that the new furnitures layout doesn't really work, so everything has changed its place again, and the tank has gone back to its old place. And everything came to life again! I can see my shrimps again, my shark is majestically patrolling the vicinity and apple snail is massacring the plants like in the good old days :)

Do you think it's just some sort of coincidence, or the location of the tank in an apartment does really have some impact on the fishes? I'm curious what you guys think of it, and maybe you have noticed something similar?

Hmmm interesting. I also noticed when I moved my fish tanks things quit happening as they did before the move. I never moved mine back though and eventually things got back to normal. I think 4 weeks.

I think it has to do with stress, activity level in the area of the tank and possibly ambient lighting differences.. just a guess

I wouldn't think the stress is the reason-- when I'd moved them, there were in more quiet and calm location in the room's corner. Now they're closer to my telly right by the entrance to the room, so they see all the movement in the room :)
And they don't look stressed: swimming/walking joyfully and without a haste...

I think it may have to do with more than we can "see" certain vibrations can be felt stronger and in some cases when the "noises" that they've been used to are removed it can cause stress. In the sense that they are either getting used to new sounds,lights,vibrations or looking for the comfort of the old ones. Just a theory.

Mlani said:
I think it may have to do with more than we can "see" certain vibrations can be felt stronger and in some cases when the "noises" that they've been used to are removed it can cause stress. In the sense that they are either getting used to new sounds,lights,vibrations or looking for the comfort of the old ones. Just a theory.

I think that's a great explanation

Yes, I would also think that Mlani's theory is very good :)
How do you plan the tank's location for a new tank then? Is there anything you're taking into consideration (apart from it not being in the direct sunlight)?

For me I consider a few things, which fish will occupy the tank, their known behaviors (if they're hiders, gliders or breeders) then whether the tank is going to be a show piece for everyone to enjoy, or just myself. Also I think about weight and bracing (some of my tanks are big) and maintenance (I want easy access so it's not a pain to "play" with) Oh.. I also consider if the furniture will still fit in the room with the tanks. Notice how that's last on my list? Lol! Don't tell my husband the real reason why his favorite chair is not in the living room anymore;-)

Back
Top Bottom