Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Does tobacco smoke bother you in restaurants?
Yes 22 61.11%
No 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2005, 02:44 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good luck quitting. It's certainly not easy but it is a true demonstration of character, determination, and motivation - as well as just plain "smarts".

You may go through a tough couple of days ahead, but think in terms of a week - if you are smoke free after a week, the worst is behind you.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:07 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the support guys. I've basically locked myself up over the last 2 days, relaxed, watched some movies, did fun stuff around the house.
Tommorow I face the world again (I have to 'work': play as an extra in a series on national tv, shooting will only take 45 minutes) That's the next step. Not smoking in social and slightly stressfull situations. Besides, no smoking in the studio!

I'm really glad I finally quit. And I will keep it up.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:11 PM   #113
Rudy_627

it doesnt bother me cause some of my family members smoke so i got used to it

Old 02-06-2005, 06:37 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Its been shown second hand smoke is worse than smoking itself.
Hogwash...My lungs filter out most if not all of the bad stuff...Ever notice how if a DR. can't figure out what's wrong with you he claims second hand smoke?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:58 PM   #115
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ummm... just where does the bad stuff go and what does it do while there?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Hogwash...My lungs filter out most if not all of the bad stuff...Ever notice how if a DR.
Sorry, but that's nonsense. If it reaches your lungs, the filter has been bypassed. The "filter" is the cilia in your upper respiratory tract. Once smoke pentrates the lungs, it deposits tar on the alveolar membrane. Nicotine is aborbed there as well, contributing to your durg addiction (assuming youa re a smoker).

Seond hand smoke is of course not WORSE than smoking itself, but is a substantial health risk. No serious helath professional doubts that.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #117
Aquarium Advice Freak

Heres the way I quit. My wife and I agreed that if I quit I could spend the money I was spending on smoking on more fish stuff. I went from a 20 gallon reef and a 10 gallon reef to a 55 gallon reef with a 20 gallon sump. In about three months I bought the tank, the pumps, more live rock, everything. I still smoke cigars occasionally but it was worth it. I feel great! I, however, still think it is an adults choice, not the choice of the government. I just plain hate when the government makes our health choices for us, I am a big boy and I can handle myself thank you very much. If I want to run an establishment and provide an area to smoke thats my business.
75 gal planted/cichlid tank
Old 02-07-2005, 06:20 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I just plain hate when the government makes our health choices for us

Remember that "the government" is the PEOPLE that we elect, and they pass PLENTY of laws that restrict freedom - speed limits, drug laws, noise ordinances, etc. Far scarier, it seems to me, is our current administration's zeal to increase the power of govt to pry into our privates lives courtesy of the "Patriot Act". I wish people would get as upset over that as they do about smoking laws!!! But that's a topic for another thread, perhaps....

Anyway, sounds like you've found a MUCH better way to spend money

Livestock I added:

Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #119
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow. What a tolerant and open minded staff we have here at AA. I knew this topic was a firecracker when I saw it post; still at 0 replies. I have my own opinions on this subject matter but I've decided to keep them to myself. It's great that we can have intelligent debates, just to see where everyone stands; politics, sports, hobbies, etc. but this is a passionate subject for many. This is the type of thread that turns friends into enemies and I just hate watching that happen right in front of me. I think everyone has had a chance to cast their vote and let everyone else know where they stand on the subject. Do we need to keep arguing about whether or not those opinions are right, fair or just????? The topic asks a simple question and asks for a simple vote. I can respect the fact that half of you voted differently than I did. I can respect the fact that your feelings are different than mine. What I do not respect is someone who persists on telling me that my opinion is wrong and why it is wrong. Now, as of this moment, I have not voted nor have I told any of you where I stand on this subject and I am going to refrain from it. I have not had an argument with anyone on this board. The reason I am posting is because I am a member of this board the same as all of you and at this moment I am disgusted to see how far this has gone on. Good folks are turning against other good folks just for being who they are and always have been. I think its a great idea that the moderators allow discussions such as this and allow us, as members, to be a little more verbal than we could at most other boards that are ruled with an iron fist, so to speak. I don't believe that the moderators need to prevent posts such as this or even ban members who post controversial topics. I do think however, that either we need to determine when things are getting out of hand or it will be determined for us. My only hope is that, whatever determines this for us isn't our good friends walking away.

She left me before we met.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:06 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Hmm, I would have thought this was a rather well done debate, both sides presented thier cases, each has been read by people, I would hope this is what a debate is about.

if it were an arguement, then yes, the mods should have closed it down, but I feel it was handled well, and I appreciate the lack of mud slinging and name calling associated with other boards.

the point of a debate is to allow others to see your views, if it makes 1 person go "hey, he might have a point" then I believe the goal is accomplished.

Personally, I've found this thread to be fun and amusing, I don't get hurt feelings because others may not share my views, that's life and I would hope that not everyone shares my views, otherwise I lose a bit of the unique quality that makes us individuals wouldn't you say?

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com