Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Does tobacco smoke bother you in restaurants?
Yes 22 61.11%
No 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
This is a very similar post to the other smoking one...

Does tobacco smoke bother you in restaurants?

I'll just quote myself from that post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli_conker
I went out to eat last night and it was weird to see people standing out in the cold in front of the restaurant. I thought maybe they had a wait or something (on a Tuesday night?) then realized what it was. I voted against the ban, not because I smoke, but because I'm not a Smoker Nazi. As long as the smoking area is seperate enough from where I'm sitting, then I have no problem. Most of the places in Columbus did a pretty good job of that. Ideally I don't want to be around it at all, but I'm not going step on somebody else's toes when they're really not stepping on mine. There are plenty of convenient restaurants in the city.

But health care issues of those who had to work around other people's smoke was a driving force in passing the ban.

On a side note, it's interesting to know that townships don't have to adhere to the ban unless the whole state goes non-smoking; i.e. Clinton Township (and maybe Grandview, but I'm not sure on that one). So the whole Lennox area is still smoking...

Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
This is one of my biggest issues.

As you described you had to walk thru the smokers just to get to the resturant. Not a good PR item for the resturant. If people are going to smoke outside the establishment they should have to do it away from the enterance. Another aspect is if you are in a resturant that permits smoking have you noticed 9 times out of 10 you have to walk thru the smoking area to get to the bathrooms. Or if the resturant has a buffett its often directly beside the smoking section. Oh and the best one is in a resturant/bar when the hostess area is between the resturant/bar. Clearly most of the bar area is smokeladen and the end result is the inevetable bleedover into the entry way where smokers and non have to stand and wait for a table if its busy.

Why force us non smokers to walk thru this stuff? Make the smokers walk thru our clean air to get to the bathroom or buffet line.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
The clothing issue is a big thing for us. A lot of times we won't wear our coats into a place that we know is usually smoky.

Keep working on the wife. Looks like you have a little one so I'm glad to hear that you are ademant about the smoking outside thing.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 02-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
I recall one time that we were seated in a non smoking section that was less than two feet away from a table that was in the smoking section with no barrier in between. We asked for a different table because the smoke was so bad. However, for the most part, I personally haven't noticed a lot of smoke in restaurants in our area.

I suspect that come spring, if a new resolution isn't passed to allow smoking in bars and restaurants again, a flurry of landscaping projects will be under way at local establishments to accomodate smokers, ie seating, ash cans, seperated from the main entrance. At least I hope so. Walking into a restaurant could get pretty nasty if not.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 02-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I am an ex-smoker, and it bothered me when I did smoke. Another point is that there are children around, and it is proven that second hand smoke it far more damaging to young lungs (ear infections, etc.).
Old 02-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Except in bars...yes.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:

Except in bars...yes.
Agree, they shouldn't do this. Would hurt too many businesses.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Nope, I don't agree.

It should be completely at the discretion of the owner.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From the other smoking post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish
It is illegal in California to smoke in restaurants and most public buildings.
It has been for quite a while now. It makes it much nicer to go places and not come home reeking of smoke. I know I am biased being a non-smoker but I think it is great! Now if they could just ban talking in the movie theater......

Old 02-02-2005, 11:42 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Since you asked my opinion
Yes, I believe smoking should be banned in all public places regardless of the presence of children. It's sad and quite hypocritical to say we need to keep smoke away from children. How can we place an age limit that is really harmful to all? What a few of you said is why smoking will never be banned in the US. Money is more important to human life and health. I know, that's a harsh thing to say but that's the reality of todays society. Everyone knows how bad smoking is, there's no way to sugar coat it or say "it's not that bad". The government makes too much money from cigarette companies and is too worried about loss of jobs to even consider making smoking illegal. While money and jobs is important, to me it's not nearly as important as human life. I don't know what the statistics are, but if someone wants to hear them I'll be glad to look it up, but smoking kills a lot of people... KILLS. And yes, it's discusting. When I'm up to visit, I hate visiting people like my dad because I end up smelling for the rest of the day. Doesn't matter if he doesn't smoke while I"m there, the smell is still there.
Any place where a lot of people are together, it's just a bad idea to have people smoking. It IS a real health hazard...

Well, I could go on and on, but I know people are already rolling their eyes at me. Any smokers here, I still love ya, but before you come back here and start yelling at me, why don't you wait until you know someone that suffers and dies from smoking, or you are the person in a hospital bed with loved ones around you with tears in their eyes. Smoking is deadly and stupid. You don't have to agree, but I'm not wrong...
I'm going to duck out now before the tomatoes are thrown at me...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com