Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Does tobacco smoke bother you in restaurants?
Yes 22 61.11%
No 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would have to say yes it does bother me as a non-smoker. It is kind of a meaningless poll for those of us in California since it is illegal here to smoke in restaurants. I do notice it when I travel to other parts of the country. It makes it hard to enjoy your meal.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think smoking should be banned in all public places, including bars and restaurants.

Keep in mind that the laws banning smoking in public places were not put in effect to protect you, the customer/patron, but rather to protect the employees who would otherwise have to endure working every day in a second hand smoke-filled atmosphere.

Imagine being a non-smoking waitress, with or without a genetic predisposition for lung cancer, working a 6 hour shift, 6 days a week, in a pub/restaurant where smoking is allowed. Should that person be forced to quit her job simply because she wants to work in a non-toxic workplace?

Cigarettes are a highly addictive, unregulated, (still, more-or-less) socially acceptable drug. I feel sorry for all the people I see huddled together in the rain and cold outside buildings puffing away to get their nicotine fix - I really do. People have the right to smoke, I suppose; but the rest of us have the right to breathe air free of its toxic byproducts.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Having a separate non-smoking area would suit me just fine as a restaurant customer, but as I said in another thread, the smoking ban laws were not passed to protect the customer - they were passed to protect the restaurant employees.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

They passed a smoking ban here in lexington about a year ago. What a mess. It has been nothing but controversy ever since it went though. The only difference is that the ban not only includes restraunts but also bars. There were several cigar bars that were forced to shut down due to the law. Some places even tell the city to shove it and they will pay the fine because the fact that they still allow smoking brings that many more customers. This is one of those things that will just never work no matter what. There are always going to be people that dont agree with it. Especially in kentucky. The way i look at it though is that when you go to a bar you arent there to be healthy. Over half of the people i know dont smoke but when they are drinking it is a different story. Restraunts, that is fine, but let us have the bars. Its our last refuge. Remember, banning smoking was one of the first things hitler tried to pull off in germany. Dont let them take all of our freedoms.
No man is so foolish that he may sometimes give another good council, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other councel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master. --- Hunter S. Thompson

29gal.
65W Accentic 65W Daylight PC
Aquaclear 150 HOB Filter (soon to be upgraded to a 15gal refugeum)
Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer
20 lbs Live Sand ~2in SB
35 lbs Live Rock ~ (wanting to have about 45lbs when done)
1 yellow watchman goby
1 saddle back clown that hosts my condy
1 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
hermits and snails
2 emerald crabs

Corals
Devils Finger Leather
Closed Brain Coral
Starburst polyps (2 colors)
Yellow Colony Polyps
Pink and silver zoos
Old 02-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

1) Well if the people that work in the bars dont like smoke. DONT WORK IN A BAR. Its that easy. People go there to be unhealthy, not to sit around and eat tofu and drink water.

2) As far as the toxic byproducts go. Lets talk about smog. I dont have a car and i walk about everywhere. I am saying that you should quit driving your car around and get a bike so you dont polute my air that i like to walk around and smoke in.

3) There are also studies that show that babies that are raised with parents that smoke have an imune system that is much better that those of parents that dont smoke. I am not saying that you should blow smoke on babies but you should also look at the side effects of living in a "bubble" your whole life. Humans are designed to fight off disease and one cigarette smoked withing 15 feet of someone is not going to plague the world and send the earth crashing into the sun.

Just my opinion and i like to argue so please dont take it personally.
No man is so foolish that he may sometimes give another good council, and no man so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other councel than his own. He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master. --- Hunter S. Thompson

29gal.
65W Accentic 65W Daylight PC
Aquaclear 150 HOB Filter (soon to be upgraded to a 15gal refugeum)
Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer
20 lbs Live Sand ~2in SB
35 lbs Live Rock ~ (wanting to have about 45lbs when done)
1 yellow watchman goby
1 saddle back clown that hosts my condy
1 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
hermits and snails
2 emerald crabs

Corals
Devils Finger Leather
Closed Brain Coral
Starburst polyps (2 colors)
Yellow Colony Polyps
Pink and silver zoos
Old 02-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd be interested in seeing the statistics of how many people are killed by drunk drivers compared to second hand smoke
Old 02-02-2005, 05:08 PM   #27
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Yes. ....except for pipes, which actually smell pleasant.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #28
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New study out shows that children of smokers score 15- 20 % lower on reading and math performace. This does not mean that all children of smokers are at an educational disadvantage , but it does indicate an increase in probabilty.

The chemicals in smoke are vascular constrictors that restrict blood flow throughout the body - including the brain. This decrease is measurable.
Restricted blood flow to the brain means less oxygen to the brain cells.

I prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to my kids.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
New study out shows that children of smokers score 15- 20 % lower on reading and math performace.
I don't agree with this. There are too many variables that affect a child's learning. The time that parents spend with their children after school hours, the amount of attention that a child receives during class time, the gender of the child, the development when they were younger. I could go on and on with this. My parents both smoked when I was young, my father quit a couple years ago and my mother still smokes. Out of all of my friends, there are only two other people whose parents smoke. Oddly enough, me and the other two people are the only ones who have graduated college with honors. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Drunk drivers have the opportunity to kill so many people when they get into their cars at night. Not only themselves, but they can crash into a bus carrying children home from a basketball game. I saw on the news last year about a drunk driver on the interstate that killed 28 children in 6th - 8th grade, 3 adults, and the drunk driver survived. I was sitting in the car on Monday night with my sister-in-law and 10 month old nephew at the drive thru at Steak-N-Shake. We had ordered sodas and were waiting behind a guy driving an old piece of crap truck. As soon as I pulled up behind him the exhaust from his truck poured into my heater vents and make my nephew throw up instantly. We were all gagging. I had to pull back 20 feet behind him just to not smell the stentch. Shouldn't we outlaw things like that too?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 02-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #30
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Again trend shows a pattern - not an absolute.

Affects of chemicals are measurable in real time with new brain imaging tech.

My thought - Is it worth the risk ?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com