Does tobacco smoke bother you in restaurants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Does tobacco smoke bother you in restaurants?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've avoided posting in this thread until now. I am a smoker. That said, it's been a few years since the NYC smoking ban was enacted. Was I upset? Absolutely! Did I stop going to restuarants? No. I adjusted to this ban just as I adjusted to the "smoke free" workplace ban (actually, I agree with the workplace...lit cigarettes and tons of paper just don't mix). I light up outdoors in all types of weather everywhere I go in this city. Does it make me envy people who do not endure this? No. Is it fair? The jury is still out. I truly believed in the segregated smoking/non smoking areas in "public places" But I have placed myself in the shoes of non-smokers from time to time and I can understand. Whether or not there is or isn't health risks involved, I do remember when I didn't smoke and others around me did. I didn't like it. It was annoying.

So, let's put a different spin on the original question: If a restuarant/bar/etc. provided a method of filtering the air in such a way that second hand smoke could not interfere with non-smokers, could everyone co-exist? Just a thought.

I'm a non-smoker and here in the Phoenix area we have a few cities that have enacted various smoking bans. I'm for them and the city of Tempe is where I will spend my money when I go out.They banned smoking in all public places, including bars.

I have asthma and before the ban I would seldom hit happy hours and the like because the smoke would trigger an attack-not much fun for me. But now I can go out with friends and not have to worry about an attack. Why should the smokers have all the fun?

And just so you know I'm not much of a drinker but I do like to have one every now and then. It's also nice to be able to hang out with my friends(none who smoke interestingly enough) somewhere other then one of our homes.

I am somewhat of an extremist on the subject of tobacco...I cannot belive that there is a consumer good on the market that is known to kill the consumer. And I'm just not talking about minor negitive effects...tobbaco is known to cause cancer. If it were any other product...and i mean any, it would be banned from the market. Why isn't it?...one word... economics. Our economy would crumble if tobbaco were banned...the major tobbacco companies knew it was coming in the future so they diversified and now have control in hundreds of major companies. Kraft Foods is controled by tobbacco as is Miller Brewing Co. and on and on.
Imagine if a brand of bubble gum caused cancer...would it be on the shelf..or a breakfast cereal..would it be on the shelf...or a toy for kids. What happens to drugs they find causes problems..they are pulled! The mortar that holds together this country is tobacco...in the 1700's its what made us an economic power. unfortunalty we cannot get away from that. So now we have a known cancer causing product that people who are smart enough to not smoke are forced to inhale at public places. How does that make sense. If people are dumb enough to smoke they should smoke in thier own home or car and thats it..until the people in this country figure out how to ban tobbaco altoghther without crippling the economy

If people are dumb enough to smoke they should smoke in thier own home or car and thats it..until the people in this country figure out how to ban tobbaco altoghther without crippling the economy

Hey look, you violated the user agreement and got this thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom