Dog-poo & Trash pick-up restrictions!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melody

Aquarium Advice Addict
WAY off topic I know... But no one else has any idea... Figured I'd ask here...
I got a letter attached to my trash can today.
Due to health concerns, please refrain from placing pet waste in garbage receptacles.
WHAT!?! 8O
My dog goes in my yard, and about once a week, I will put on a plastic glove, get a plastic grocery bag, pick it all up, tie the bag closed, and toss it in the trash can. I was not aware of any health concerns. When I called the number and inquired about them, they didnt know either, but that there WERE concerns.
The waste from my dog is contained in a bag, so for it getting on the trash guys when they pick up the trash, I dont see how that could happen. As far as in the dump its self, how is this different then a babys disposable diaper? I asked my neighbor (no pets) if they got this letter and they said nope. I thought maybe it was a form letter. no...its because I have been putting dog waste in the trash can.
I dont mind tossing the stuff in the woods. Im sure theres all kinds of bugs and stuff that would enjoy it, but I would LOVE to know what kind of health concerns there are for putting dog poo in the trash. anyone EVER heard of this?

That is really strange. Was it hand written? I am thinking the garbage men just don't want to smell it. I have cats and all the kitty litter goes into a bag, and into the trash. I have no where else to put it. I would ask the garbage men (or leave them a note :D ) asking where it would be safe to put the dog doo?

LOL!!!
mmmmm.... sun dried dog poo...HA!!! Im sure the HOA would love that!

and it was a typed letter. Our county is a little off the books if you ask me. We also got a letter some time ago that all trash was to be in bags (thats fine) but then THOSE bags were supposed to be in one BIG bag. and tied shut We have a 70 gal trash can. I have never seen 70 gal trash bags. so far they havent said anything about that.

As far as the smell, how can 10-12 Jack Russell dog piles be worse then a sun baked trash can? If they dont like the dog poo, I bet they LOVED the raw chicken I tossed in there last summer. :roll:
Im thinking that I will continue my practice of dog waste removal, and if something is said again, Im going to DEMAND for explanation.

Pretty soon they are going to ask that you not put anything "gross" in your can. "All dry and clean garbage only please" :lol: :lol:

That's is unreal. What about the people who don't have a wooded area to dispose of the waste? What do they expect you to do with it? Have to train that dog to use the toilet Melody. Good thing they don't have to visit my house. They'd love the rotty and standard poodle waste. LOL :roll:

austinsdad said:
how is this different then a babys disposable diaper?

Hmmmm. I think we found the answer. To bad you'd have to buy pampers to do it though.

can I get those kind that have the little space for the umbilical cord, so his tail will fit? :lol: Or maybe I'll have to just cut a hole. And to think my hubby thought his sweater was dorky!! HA!!!
I trained my OLD beagel to use a litter box... that was cool. I think I will just double bag it from now on. They are NOT going to know unless they start picking thru my garbage. now if they do that.... we have issues...

It just strikes me that the entire job of trash collection, has its health risks. I cant see how picking up dog poo would increase the risks SO much that they would ask us to stop throwing it away. It seem that the risk of human waste would be far greater then dogs.

Who knows :roll:

Disposable doggie diapers? You've got the answer but where will it end? Health Department citations for the liquid form too??? Can't imagine a canine even attempting that trick in a diaper!

Geez...we need to get a grip. :wink:

Jchillin said:
Health Department citations for the liquid form too??? :

What a vision.... all of us walking our dogs, plastic bag in one hand... urin collection bottle in another... how do we hold the leash!
poor dog.... "You want me to pee in what!?!?!"

This is amazing. I have a very large dog (160 pounds) and his "waste" is, how shall we put it, LARGE. I have a galvanized can outside that has a contractor cleanup bag liner, which is very heavy gauge. I use a scooper and put it in there, and in that can goes the fireplace ashes as well, and when it is full I tie it up and it goes out to the street just like the rest of the trash - never heard a peep about it.

We just recently finished fencing in our property so now he can go out in the woods, which he prefers to do, but at our old house we had a Doggy Dooley, which is basically a hole in the ground with a hinged lid, and you scoop the waste into it, and add an enzyme mixture once a week or so to dissolve the waste and it "goes away" underground. There may be a concern if you have a well, but that's a good alternative to throwing in the can if they get on your case about it.

Just when you think you have heard everything... 8O

get a plastic grocery bag, pick it all up, tie the bag closed, and toss it in the trash can.
Even though the thought of a doggie w/a pamper on is kinda funny, I meant substitute the pamper for the bag. Pick it up. Throw it in the pamper. Still I was being funny, cause who wants to have to buy pampers instead of trash bags for that madness.

Jchillin said:
TankGirl said:
This is amazing. I have a very large dog (160 pounds) and his "waste" is, how shall we put it, LARGE.

I'm sorry, but having met you, the picture of you lugging that load around won't go away! :wink:

Quite the visual, isn't it? That's not something people warn you about when you are thinking about getting a large breed dog. Those dookies are something. Anyone sneaking around our yard who spotted one of them would definitely hvae second thoughts - first thought: "Lion?"

TankGirl said:
Jchillin said:
TankGirl said:
This is amazing. I have a very large dog (160 pounds) and his "waste" is, how shall we put it, LARGE.

I'm sorry, but having met you, the picture of you lugging that load around won't go away! :wink:

Quite the visual, isn't it? That's not something people warn you about when you are thinking about getting a large breed dog. Those dookies are something. Anyone sneaking around our yard who spotted one of them would definitely hvae second thoughts - first thought: "Lion?"

:lach:
the nice thing about my "little" dog is, you step on one of his presents and well one swipe in the grass and its gone...
One of those 160lb dog piles and well...you have to break out the pressure washer, that is if you can even get your shoe out of it... I have always had large dogs, so I know the land mines the big dogs can leave behind. :lol:
My Jack Russells best friend is a 150lb Rotti named Cypres. It looks like Mutt & Jeff when the two of them are walking together.

Melody said:
Due to health concerns, please refrain from placing pet waste in garbage receptacles. anyone EVER heard of this?

Sure...sort of...from my municipality's waste-collection laws:

"10. Except as otherwise provided in sections 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15, an owner shall ensure that
the following types of waste are not set out for collection from his premises:

(e) animal waste, dead animals or animal parts;

15. A person may set...animal waste...
out for collection if it is packaged in securely tied, double plastic garbage bags."

The dead animals and animal parts bit makes me wonder what the average homeowner is supposed to do with the bones from the roast chicken from dinner, though. :lol:

I bet the "health concern" is the waste company reacting to complaints form the trash man employee. He dumps the can, gets fido's pride all over himself, and then complains. Maybe even calls in sick, or says he has to go to the doctor.

Just bag it well, and I bet you never hear another thing.

id put it in a diaper and toss it in there and see what they say

if they ask

my dog turned into a 2 month old baby

Here in Toronto there is a "green bin". Any garbage that smells or is wet goes in there. Like compost and dipers. Its a pain in the ***. Everything has to be sorted and taking the thing out is gross. I now have to think about where I am going to toss the stuff?!?!

The only health concern I can think of is Roundworm. Both dogs and humans can get it. It surely wouldn't kill the thrash collector, but could make him/her very sick. Perhaps there are other diseases or parasites that could affect dogs or cats and Humans, I don't know. I put the cat litter and Dudley's poo out in our garbage, never heard a word. I do double bag it, use a plastic grocery bag for picking up the poop, then put it all in a regular trash bag. I'd bet if you do that you'll never hear from them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom