Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Dojo loach butt keeps floating

I have a 90 gal aquarium setup I got used and re set up and kept the canister filter full so bacteria would live itís been going for a phew days now ph 8.2 ammonia .10 nitrite 0 nitrate 15 one of my dojo loaches has a floaty butt other than that eats well and seems healthy looking for advice on that also my pleco has white splotches on him not sure what to think about them Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	309611Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	309612
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0707171233.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	309610  

Old 07-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think your new setup is going through an ammonia spike, aka: Mini cycle. I've seen white blotches on Plecos, which turned out to be "Ammonia Burn".
I'd cut way back on feeding for a couple of weeks. Conduct a 25% WC asap. Use "Prime" water conditioner, if possible, with each WC. Continue making a small WC every third day until your ammonia reads zero.
There's an outside chance the white discoloration is Columnaris, a bad bacterial infection. Keep an eye on the Pleco and be sure to do your research on Columnaris.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
I think your new setup is going through an ammonia spike, aka: Mini cycle. I've seen white blotches on Plecos, which turned out to be "Ammonia Burn".

I'd cut way back on feeding for a couple of weeks. Conduct a 25% WC asap. Use "Prime" water conditioner, if possible, with each WC. Continue making a small WC every third day until your ammonia reads zero.

There's an outside chance the white discoloration is Columnaris, a bad bacterial infection. Keep an eye on the Pleco and be sure to do your research on Columnaris.

U think .10 is an ammonia spike?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2184.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	309613
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cschaefer2394 View Post
U think .10 is an ammonia spike?Attachment 309613

It almost seems like a color change itís hard to see in the pic but u cat see his markings in the lighter areas Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2181.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	309614 donít mind the sand on him
Old 07-10-2018, 01:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cschaefer2394 View Post
It almost seems like a color change itís hard to see in the pic but u cat see his markings in the lighter areas Attachment 309614 donít mind the sand on him

im kind of leaning towards columnaris. do the patches seem to have a fuziness to them or is it just a discoloration?
Old 07-10-2018, 03:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
im kind of leaning towards columnaris. do the patches seem to have a fuziness to them or is it just a discoloration?

Just lighter coloration. He has rocks and plants and structures to hide in that he never had before the previous owner just had the sand could it be a stress deal?
Old 07-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ammonia should always be zero. A little bit goes a long way towards a decline in fish health.
I doubt the Pleco is experiencing a color change. It's got some type of health issue going on.
With regular water maintenence things will likely level out. If the Plecos white discoloration expands, might be a good idea to remove him from the tank.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks like your ammonia is .25 and your nitrates look to be at least 40 ppm. Did you take this water test at the end of your weekly water change? How often are you changing the water and how much? I'd say your pleco has ammonia burn. Long term exposure to even a small amount of ammonia can cause this. From my experience, plecos of the common type as you have are pretty hard fish even to somewhat poor water conditions. Either way your ammonia needs to be a steady 0 and your nitrates need to come down. This needs to be achieved with water changes..... enough to bring the levels down to 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and around 10-20 nitrates. 40 ppm nitrates would be acceptable at the end of your week before a water change but shouldn't be more than that.

Tags
floating, loach

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com