Drought and pwc's.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
Interesting thought: with most of the united States in some sort of drought, how has this affected your PWC's if any? I used to do PWC's on Monday, wedensday and fridaay. And whenever need be. Now I'm down to Monday and maybe another day. Also I use the water to water my plants.

Excellent topic. In Virginia we aren't officially in a drought (yet) but when the time comes I will most likely just buy distilled water and enrich it with minerals for cichlids. I, too, use old tank water for my plants. I love saving water where I can and my plants flourish with that nitrogen rich water :) win win!

Excellent topic. In Virginia we aren't officially in a drought (yet) but when the time comes I will most likely just buy distilled water and enrich it with minerals for cichlids. I, too, use old tank water for my plants. I love saving water where I can and my plants flourish with that nitrogen rich water :) win win!

Not to be facetious, but where do you think distilled water comes from?

Oh facetious indeed ;)
I don't know man! A jug? Its not coming from my faucet putting my county further in the water hole so to speak.

I think this is a very interesting topic too. I wonder if there is a difference in people who have a well and people who have city water.

As far as the idea of using water bought from a store for pwc's I think the idea is a good one. The water is coming from a different area and the sources of that water are usually just for the commercial use by that company. But in practicality I don't think that using store bought water makes a significant difference in the amount of water usage. But very but counts I guess

christine2012 said:

Same here. I use the old tank water to water my plants in the back garden!

My strawberry and house plants love water change day!
I've cut my wc down from 50% to 10-20% a week unless the parameters indicate the need for more.

I have an interesting theory. In my theory I can put my big water tote out during a storm and collect rain water for my tanks. Anyone have thoughts on this?
In theory, the water would be pure right?

christine2012 said:
I have an interesting theory. In my theory I can put my big water tote out during a storm and collect rain water for my tanks. Anyone have thoughts on this?
In theory, the water would be pure right?

In theory yes, people use rain barrels in the dessert to collect drinking water. But some people worry about acid rain and they dont want in in the tank even if they use prime.

Tetra1990 said:
In theory yes, people use rain barrels in the dessert to collect drinking water. But some people worry about acid rain and they dont want in in the tank even if they use prime.

Acid rain contains sulfuric acid so wouldn't a simple ph test be a quick check for this? If the ph is good use it, if not dump it.

Also, if you collect rain water for your tanks, wouldn't you need to add in some nutrients that comes in tap water?

adammorrill said:
Also, if you collect rain water for your tanks, wouldn't you need to add in some nutrients that comes in tap water?

Yes, I imagine you would need to supplement just like if you used distilled water. But this is just a theory, I really don't know what I'm talking about!

Back
Top Bottom