Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I've had some chats with my LFS owner, who gives pretty good advice, about some of the ideas people have in their heads when they come in. Lots and lots of misinformation! "But so and so said I just need to let the tank run a few days and then fish will be fine," or "I thought changing the water often was a bad thing," or the perennial favorite, "But it will only grow to the size of the tank, so I can totally stick an Oscar and a pleco in a 10 gallon." One thing I really like about my LFS is that the owners give good advice and they give it kindly. I'm usually in there at least once a week (at least when my car is running). Many times I have overheard her breaking down cycling and having people come back with water to test before she will sell them fish. And she really gets to know her regulars. Nothing like a good local business!

Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #102
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't have enough battery to even begin

Old 07-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #103
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
I've had some chats with my LFS owner, who gives pretty good advice, about some of the ideas people have in their heads when they come in. Lots and lots of misinformation! "But so and so said I just need to let the tank run a few days and then fish will be fine," or "I thought changing the water often was a bad thing," or the perennial favorite, "But it will only grow to the size of the tank, so I can totally stick an Oscar and a pleco in a 10 gallon." One thing I really like about my LFS is that the owners give good advice and they give it kindly. I'm usually in there at least once a week (at least when my car is running). Many times I have overheard her breaking down cycling and having people come back with water to test before she will sell them fish. And she really gets to know her regulars. Nothing like a good local business!
I want to visit your local fish store!

20 gal tall:currently cycling, soon to be re-aquascaped
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meashkah View Post

I want to visit your local fish store!
The only downside is they don't always have a great selection of fish. However, they are always happy to special order stuff, so if it is on their supplier's stocklist (segrest farms) you can get it, and they Have recently expanded their store! Although some of the fish, like the angels, have been coming in in poor shape for a long time now. Can't do much about that.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
Same with an employee at my LFS; bonus: she loves batman and have a black moor named Batman
Old 07-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I was first starting my tank, I went to the lfs for some stocking advice. They were aghast that I was fish less cycling the tank.

"You never want to do that. You need to add fish to get it cycled." When I (timidly, as I was very unconfident) said I had read about it online (right at this site!) she said that she doesn't recommend it and that it was too new of an idea. Something to that effect.

I didn't listen, got some plants, and went home to read and reassure myself. Lol.

10 gallon red cherry shrimp tank, with babies and at least 40 shrimp
Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyMiss View Post
When I was first starting my tank, I went to the lfs for some stocking advice. They were aghast that I was fish less cycling the tank.

"You never want to do that. You need to add fish to get it cycled." When I (timidly, as I was very unconfident) said I had read about it online (right at this site!) she said that she doesn't recommend it and that it was too new of an idea. Something to that effect.

I didn't listen, got some plants, and went home to read and reassure myself. Lol.
And my tank was cycled in three weeks. .

10 gallon red cherry shrimp tank, with babies and at least 40 shrimp
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babymama18301 View Post

Haha I had that too!!!! Got em as babies

He's now almost 9 inches and the other almost 7 inches I took two also I only paid 2$ for them idiots told me they'd only get 4-5 inches I knew they were a bit off considering they thought it was a pleco.
Oh my gosh, you too! That happened to me about a year ago. Mines now 5 inches
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3274313744.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	185196  

10g saltwater
Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyMiss View Post

Same thing happened to me and I listened I lost two fishies cause of it.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquacal View Post
Once I was told that Betta's are perfect community fish and good tank mates include everything from tetras to guppies. >:|
Actually, the majority of Bettas are great community tank mates. I have one with Rams, a Guppy, Tetras, Barbs, and a few others.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com