Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #131
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True story: My father is one of the WORST fish keepers EVER.

He has a 55 gallon in his basement.

Bare bottom with actual river rocks.
Filter: I think a tetra model suited for a 10g
Lighting: a reptile lamp!
Hood: a screen mesh
Plants: bamboo
Heat: none

First stock: assorted Goldies with bullhead cats and crawfish kidnapped from a local river. Craw dads managed to canibalize each other. Don't know what happened to the cats. Assorted fish deaths. Also there were toads in the tank but I rescued them and released them into his garden.

Second stock: assorted goldies, mix of survivors of season 1 and newbies. And here's the topper. BETTAS. Yes he has added bettas and they're all males. I am astounded that these fish are alive and well and have not butchered each other. He has at least 4 and I'm just at a loss for words. His explanation: his fish are tough and not sissies like my tank and his tank is all natural. >__<

And yes his [store=big chain] enables him..........

Old 07-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #132
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is terrible.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #133
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFishGirl View Post

A moss ball? What could POSSIBLY go wrong with a ball of moss??? *is inexperienced with plants*
My fish ripped it up. And yes ok I am inexperienced.it caused an algae infestation. *suffers defeat*
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #134
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was at my local pet store the other day and while I was looking at the fish the girl admitted to me she knew nothing about fish but really wanted to know more. So I spent 30 minites explaining the bare basics of fish keeping. Cylcing water changes stocking and why tropical and goldies should not go together. She was shocked to say the least. But I'm pretty happy because she really seemed interested to know more and I think she's gonna go out and do more research on her own. Feeling acomplished
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #135
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavp View Post
I was at my local pet store the other day and while I was looking at the fish the girl admitted to me she knew nothing about fish but really wanted to know more. So I spent 30 minites explaining the bare basics of fish keeping. Cylcing water changes stocking and why tropical and goldies should not go together. She was shocked to say the least. But I'm pretty happy because she really seemed interested to know more and I think she's gonna go out and do more research on her own. Feeling acomplished
I do the same thing when people go to buy turtles. It's like a social stigma that turtles and goldfish only live in a tiny fishbowl. Stuff you ignorant and uneducated media! Haha it's always the little kid that goes mommy daddy I want a turtle! And there I am to say, "like hell you do!" But no it's amazing how much people are unaware about these things. But then again it's not a lack of knowledge that irks me, it's the deliberate "idc I want what I want and I do what I want no matter who gets in the way or who I hurt"
Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Yeah, my neighbor has 3 red eared sliders in a 10 gallon. She is upgrading to a 20 at least for now and giving all but one away soon, though. Family members just kind of dumped them on her when they got bored with them. I have helped her realize that their needs are greater than she thought, and more than she can really give. So she has decided to keep one as long as she can and then give it up as she wants it to live well even if it's not with her.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #137
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sad thing is honestly giving back goldfish is kinda pointless. The likley hood some somebody educated in fish picking up that goldfish and giving it a good roomy healthy home is low. Thats why I kept mine. They dont have the biggest home but I give them alot of water changes and I do the best I can. I'm hoping to upgrade my babys home soon though
Old 07-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #138
M4M
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbite View Post
She bought a common pleco and I made her return it. But she came back with the same one citing that the expert at Walmart promised it would do fine in a 20g high tank with 2 black moors. (Those were her purchases too)
She's going to be tickled pink when that pleco beastie starts attacking her moors. I had one almost lose an eye from the misconception that fancy goldfish and plecos are good tankmates...

Called the local fish store to ask about Blackwater Extract (because I couldn't find almond leaves for my bettas), the guy had no clue what I was talking about, they've never carried it (they sell bettas and piranhas, 2 species I know are blackwater). When I said it creates a more natural environment for my bettas, he told me that I would need mud to create a more natural environment, because... get this... Bettas live in BUFFALO HOOFPRINTS! <_<

I no longer shop there.

I also enjoy the looks on people's faces when they hear I have a healthy sorority of betta girls. It never occurs to anyone that females can potentially live together.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #139
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4M View Post

She's going to be tickled pink when that pleco beastie starts attacking her moors. I had one almost lose an eye from the misconception that fancy goldfish and plecos are good tankmates...

Called the local fish store to ask about Blackwater Extract (because I couldn't find almond leaves for my bettas), the guy had no clue what I was talking about, they've never carried it (they sell bettas and piranhas, 2 species I know are blackwater). When I said it creates a more natural environment for my bettas, he told me that I would need mud to create a more natural environment, because... get this... Bettas live in BUFFALO HOOFPRINTS! <_<

I no longer shop there.

I also enjoy the looks on people's faces when they hear I have a healthy sorority of betta girls. It never occurs to anyone that females can potentially live together.
I died laughing at buffalo hoofprints XD
Old 07-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #140
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow some of these stories are killing me! The buffaloe footprint and ich as a good food for fish are tied for the lead and a close second to the 55 gallon horror story!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com