Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
If I ever feel particularly creative and can find a good way to do it, I am putting a buffalo hoofprint in the substrate of a betta tank... That's hilarious. Do buffalos even live in the betta's native areas of Thailand?

Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think water buffaloes are native to Thailand but that's still absurd!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascowboys16 View Post
I think water buffaloes are native to Thailand but that's still absurd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
If I ever feel particularly creative and can find a good way to do it, I am putting a buffalo hoofprint in the substrate of a betta tank... That's hilarious. Do buffalos even live in the betta's native areas of Thailand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4M View Post
She's going to be tickled pink when that pleco beastie starts attacking her moors. I had one almost lose an eye from the misconception that fancy goldfish and plecos are good tankmates...

Called the local fish store to ask about Blackwater Extract (because I couldn't find almond leaves for my bettas), the guy had no clue what I was talking about, they've never carried it (they sell bettas and piranhas, 2 species I know are blackwater). When I said it creates a more natural environment for my bettas, he told me that I would need mud to create a more natural environment, because... get this... Bettas live in BUFFALO HOOFPRINTS! <_<

I no longer shop there.

I also enjoy the looks on people's faces when they hear I have a healthy sorority of betta girls. It never occurs to anyone that females can potentially live together.

I hate to burst your bubble(s) but during the dry season in Thailand, wild bettas are sometimes found in the water found in the hoof prints left behind by the buffalo used by the farmers to cultivate the rice patties. The person who said that was not 100% wrong. His answer however, was not 100% correct in the creating the natural environment method only using mud. lol But you know, even a stopped clock is right twice a day
Old 07-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

I hate to burst your bubble(s) but during the dry season in Thailand, wild bettas are sometimes found in the water found in the hoof prints left behind by the buffalo used by the farmers to cultivate the rice patties. The person who said that was not 100% wrong. His answer however, was not 100% correct in the creating the natural environment method only using mud. lol But you know, even a stopped clock is right twice a day
I was going to say something similar. I've read that wild bettas can be found in rice patties in Thailand. That's probably why they can exist in low oxygen waters.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Addict

They have the labyrinth organ like any other anabantid so that's why they can live in areas with low oxygen

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFishGirl View Post
I believe female betas are community, while males are loners
I have a female in my community tank
I have three male bettas in community tanks.
One is with barbs, rams, a guppy, tetras, etc.

One is in with cardinal tetras, and two mollies, will be adding more fish in a couple weeks.

Another had a few neon tetras in his 5.5 gal for a week while I was fattening them up before going into the main tank.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Old 07-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was at an Lfs offering to give them one of my koi and they said sorry our holding tank is full. He pointed to a 75 gallon tank full of koi and I believe it had a few African cichlids. The tank was labeled koi and aggressive cichlids.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #148
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh yeah. I asked my LFS if a bubble wall stretching across 2/3's of my tank on top of the filter would be okay for my two female betas. "Of course! Of course! The females have shorter fins they like the high currents!"
One of my betas died the next day... -_-' didn't even bother going back. It was the slightly longer finned one.
The other one, at least, is thriving
Old 07-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #149
Aquarium Advice Addict

My ph was at 7.6 and was told it was to high and that I needed API 7.0 ph buffer to fix it! The buffer just screwed up my whole tank and was better of without it! (This was before I knew about parameters and how to test them)
Old 07-14-2013, 10:39 AM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

I was just unsure if there were buffalos in Thailand. It would be kind of hard for something's "native habitat" to be in the footprint of an animal that doesn't live there.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com