Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #221
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fishingforfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthebeast View Post

Conditioner works wonders for my African feather fin. He's almost show ready now
That poor, poor betta
Really?! I was thinking of using Pantene Master Pro V (okay in all seriousness, I use it on my hair so I know it's full name LOL)

Yeah..I still can't believe someone recommended me to use soap as a water conditioner..where do people get this stuff, really.
__________________

__________________
Fishingforfish is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #222
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforfish View Post

Really?! I was thinking of using Pantene Master Pro V (okay in all seriousness, I use it on my hair so I know it's full name LOL)

Yeah..I still can't believe someone recommended me to use soap as a water conditioner..where do people get this stuff, really.
Bravo, I need to try that for my angel fish

And the human mind is a scary place, especially when it comes to fish
__________________

__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #223
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
If you guys want a laugh, search " what rookie fish keepers say" on YouTube. Be sure to watch part 1 and 2. It's made by a great fish keeper so he knows better.
__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #224
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fishingforfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
If you guys want a laugh, search " what rookie fish keepers say" on YouTube. Be sure to watch part 1 and 2. It's made by a great fish keeper so he knows better.
Using a straw to blow and put oxygen into the tank every 15 minutes..LMAO that part got me
__________________
Fishingforfish is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #225
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
Yeah it's a funny video. Please don't leave any negative comments. The person is one of my favorite fish keepers on youtube and I wouldn't want to see any insults towards him
__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #226
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingforfish View Post

My platy love Olay! It's softer on their bioload. I wonder if shampoo would help with fin rot or make their fins shinier..hmmm

It's pretty sad because I saw someone holding a plastic container with a betta go up to him for advice. I just hope he didn't give the same soap speech ):
Omg hahahaha!
__________________
Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy Platy
Platiesareawesome is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #227
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7
LFS manager told me that I should get readings of ammonia-0ppm, nitrAtes-0ppm, and nitrItes-50ppm. Then when I corrected her she said everyone on this forum is lying about nitrIte and nitrAte readings and she has had tanks for forty years this way supposedly.
__________________
rkerk

Please check out My Aquarium Adventure @
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...re-264873.html
rkerk is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 AM   #228
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andy Sager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lake Wales, Florida
Posts: 5,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkerk View Post
LFS manager told me that I should get readings of ammonia-0ppm, nitrAtes-0ppm, and nitrItes-50ppm. Then when I corrected her she said everyone on this forum is lying about nitrIte and nitrAte readings and she has had tanks for forty years this way supposedly.
Good thing we all know that in a cycled aquarium, these readings are impossible. Correct me if I'm wrong but once the tank has cycled, you can't have high TRITES with 0 TRATES anymore as the bacteria is converting trites to trates immediately. You can only get that kind of reading in an uncycled tank.

She may have been keeping tanks for that long but not keeping a single tank for that long. Then again, I'm old too and sometimes get my I's and A's mixed up
__________________
Andy Sager is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #229
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Good thing we all know that in a cycled aquarium, these readings are impossible. Correct me if I'm wrong but once the tank has cycled, you can't have high TRITES with 0 TRATES anymore as the bacteria is converting trites to trates immediately. You can only get that kind of reading in an uncycled tank.

She may have been keeping tanks for that long but not keeping a single tank for that long. Then again, I'm old too and sometimes get my I's and A's mixed up
It would take some massive effort on her part to get those readings consistently.
__________________
Mebbid is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #230
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
SharpieItBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

Good thing we all know that in a cycled aquarium, these readings are impossible. Correct me if I'm wrong but once the tank has cycled, you can't have high TRITES with 0 TRATES anymore as the bacteria is converting trites to trates immediately. You can only get that kind of reading in an uncycled tank.

She may have been keeping tanks for that long but not keeping a single tank for that long. Then again, I'm old too and sometimes get my I's and A's mixed up
It goes ammonia, trites then trates. You switched them around
__________________

__________________
Gracie - Female Calico Cat - 7.5 years old
Reggie - Black Lab - 7 years old
Duke - Yellow Lab - 6 years old
Jack - Telescope Eyed Goldfish - 8 months
SharpieItBlack is offline  
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.