Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #231
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkerk View Post
LFS manager told me that I should get readings of ammonia-0ppm, nitrAtes-0ppm, and nitrItes-50ppm. Then when I corrected her she said everyone on this forum is lying about nitrIte and nitrAte readings and she has had tanks for forty years this way supposedly.
My last post was.meant for this. It goes ammonia then trites then trates. So usually trates are about 50

Jack - Telescope Eyed Goldfish - 8 months
Old 07-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #232
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieItBlack View Post

It goes ammonia, trites then trates. You switched them around
No, the lfs manager who gave the bad advice had them switched and said you should have trITes instead of trAtes.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 AM   #233
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post

No, the lfs manager who gave the bad advice had them switched and said you should have trITes instead of trAtes.
Oh ok haha yeah that's pretty bad.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #234
Aquarium Advice FINatic

OMG that "what rookie fish keepers say" was PRICELESS!! That had me LOLing so hard!!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #235
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFishGirl View Post
OMG that "what rookie fish keepers say" was PRICELESS!! That had me LOLing so hard!!
Me too! I've heard a lot of those actually. My favorite being "why do I need to change the water of I have a filter?" LOL
Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #236
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:

Me too! I've heard a lot of those actually. My favorite being "why do I need to change the water of I have a filter?" LOL
I would have invested in better filters before I got my fish if I knew goldies were dirty. I have two big ones going now and he's doing great. I didn't find this site until about two months after my fish so I did some things wrong from the start but everyone here helped me fix it!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #237
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

When I first started fish keeping, I had a filter and questioned it. I was like "why does the filter not take care of everything?" LOL but now I'm like "oh my god it's SO OBVIOUS!!"
Old 07-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #238
Aquarium Advice Addict

My favorite was " where did all the water go? I had 8 oscars in that 10 gallon tank"

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #239
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpieItBlack View Post
It goes ammonia, trites then trates. You switched them around
Good eye, but I didn't switch them. According to the post I responded to, the store clerk/ manager stated that she had 0 nitrates and 50 ppm nitrites which has to be backwards in a cycled aquarium. You can only have numbers that way in an uncycled tank as once the Nitrites are being converted into Nitrates, they are always being converted so in order to have a 0 nitrate and higher nitrite level, the nitrobacters cannot be present meaning you have an uncycled ( or partially cycled depending on how you look at the glass ) tank. She had stated that she had been keeping tanks for 40 years with those numbers. That was my point, she may have been keeping tanks for 40 years but if she had the same tank running for 40 years, those number couldn't be right.
I believe she just may have been confusing her trites and trates at that moment or she really didn't know what she was talking about. Either way, I was just saying that we here on AA seem to have the correct direction of the cycle down.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #240
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post

Good eye, but I didn't switch them. According to the post I responded to, the store clerk/ manager stated that she had 0 nitrates and 50 ppm nitrites which has to be backwards in a cycled aquarium. You can only have numbers that way in an uncycled tank as once the Nitrites are being converted into Nitrates, they are always being converted so in order to have a 0 nitrate and higher nitrite level, the nitrobacters cannot be present meaning you have an uncycled ( or partially cycled depending on how you look at the glass ) tank. She had stated that she had been keeping tanks for 40 years with those numbers. That was my point, she may have been keeping tanks for 40 years but if she had the same tank running for 40 years, those number couldn't be right.
I believe she just may have been confusing her trites and trates at that moment or she really didn't know what she was talking about. Either way, I was just saying that we here on AA seem to have the correct direction of the cycle down.
I know I think op explained what the clerk said. I also quoted the wrong post. But yeah, what the clerk said wasn't right

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com