Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #301
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platiesareawesome View Post

Hahahahaha!
It was fleco wasnt it?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #302
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I worked at my local Petsmart , we had a pretty good Fish department. Partly due to me vetoing customers bad ideas. But one day when I was off, a new employee, who meant well, sold a customer our Planted Tank kit , I think a 30g. But they got confused and sold the lady LIVE SAND from our SW section

Plants died, tank looked crappy. We let her return everything and I started her over with Eco Complete and a new tank.

Our Planted Tank substrates were quite near the Live Sand and lots of customers grabbed SW stuff by accident over the years. Too rushed to pay attention.

In the employee's defense , this customer came in right at closing and was in a hurry. Tank was a gift. I got it straightened out. Educated the employee. Tried to educate the customer.

I heard a lot of idiotic opinions over the years.
A lady complained because I refused to sell her a Bala Shark for a 10g. Single baby Balas tend to panic and hit the sides and die, esp, in small bare tanks. She swore she'd buy a bigger tank "later".

I stopped letting people put Goldfish in bowls. Even Bettas I sold 2.5g tanks as a preferred minimum.

One man swore Angels were fine in 10g.
One employee tried to tell me Bettas NEEDED small spaces ( yes, he is still alive, but I may have ripped his ego up a bit ).
Lots of odd ideas about live plants.
People wanting to add the "pretty" Cichlids to their Goldfish tanks *shudder*

Ooo the best was a man walked in and said he wanted to buy our tank of red wag Platies.
He wanted the display tank !!! The one that is part of the WALL of tanks and NOT removable !

I explained the "tank" was almost 1,000 gallons and he was just looking at a small divided section. He then wanted a 10g with the entire stock of Platies. Trying to explain he could have 2 fish, not 20, was not easy. Explaining holding tank vs home tank was a battle. I finally took this stubborn guy in back and showed him the massive sand bed filter and sump for the "Platy tank ".

I asked him to buy a book, Google some info and then come back. Fish are not just decor for the livingroom !

Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 AM   #303
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coursair View Post
Ooo the best was a man walked in and said he wanted to buy our tank of red wag Platies.
He wanted the display tank !!! The one that is part of the WALL of tanks and NOT removable !

I explained the "tank" was almost 1,000 gallons and he was just looking at a small divided section. He then wanted a 10g with the entire stock of Platies. Trying to explain he could have 2 fish, not 20, was not easy. Explaining holding tank vs home tank was a battle. I finally took this stubborn guy in back and showed him the massive sand bed filter and sump for the "Platy tank ".

I asked him to buy a book, Google some info and then come back. Fish are not just decor for the livingroom !
Good call showing him the pump and everything needed. Sometimes all you can do is show people the work and equipment really needed to keep fish healthy and happy. They often dont listen but seeing a massive and messy filter often makes them rethink their ideas.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #304
Aquarium Advice Activist

The sad part about fish keeping though is that everything can be expensive.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #305
Aquarium Advice Freak

I hate that aspect of it. I just recently caught MULTIPLE TANK SYNDROME, so getting that is like saying, "Goodbye, money! I'll never see you again! So, goodbye!"
Old 07-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #306
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfuzzymonster777 View Post
I hate that aspect of it. I just recently caught MULTIPLE TANK SYNDROME, so getting that is like saying, "Goodbye, money! I'll never see you again! So, goodbye!"
Old 07-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #307
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was at my lfs concerned because my mom bought a few cichilds from a town an hour and a half away because she was there for work and we were limited to cichilds in our area. I thought one of them might have had ich. He was rubbing himself over everything. So I asked her what she knew about the disease and told her what I knew. I told her, I cranked the heat up to around 82-84į, I added salt, and was looking for something that would add to the slime coat and kill of the parasite. (Keep in mind im 14) This was her response. Actually you are over reacting, ich is like the aquarium common cold, its no big deal. Its not a parasite, it is like a runny nose to us. Plus most fish dont have slime coats. But if you want, I can direct you to our medicine area. (When we got there she picked up a bottle and read off the back...) Okay lets see, Ich is a serious disease that can spread through your aquarium quickly and be fatal to your fish. To remove this parasite from your aquarium, first turn up your temp to low to mid eighties, in addition to this, add aquarium salt. She then stopped reading and looked at me with a terrified look as she knew this 14 year old knew more than her and made her look like an idiot. I picked up a bottle and walked out of the store before another word was said. I dont even feel bad. P.s. my fish never had ich. He was showing his territory in a way I hadn't seen before. I only saw the shake n' dance display. Whoops.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #308
Aquarium Advice FINatic

^ I have nothing to add but... That was great lol.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #309
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well done... Well done..
Old 07-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #310
Aquarium Advice Activist

Seen this on my Facebook wall I was totally surprised to see this. I had to screen cap it and show it to everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wow.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	187934  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com