Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #381
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I love my Dad and he's had tanks before, but usually very hardy fish. I purchased some RCS to breed and started to set up a drip acclimation after taking the advice of my local LFS owner. He stood there looking at me like I was crazy and said 'Dump em in, they'll be fine!' He also was judging off of pool test strips for the water conditions and wanted to add pool chemicals to lower the PH...

Old 08-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #382
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CephalopodCove View Post
I love my Dad and he's had tanks before, but usually very hardy fish. I purchased some RCS to breed and started to set up a drip acclimation after taking the advice of my local LFS owner. He stood there looking at me like I was crazy and said 'Dump em in, they'll be fine!' He also was judging off of pool test strips for the water conditions and wanted to add pool chemicals to lower the PH...
You mean you don't use shock or chlorine in your tanks? Come on clean it up lmao

Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post
You mean you don't use shock or chlorine in your tanks? Come on clean it up lmao
Oh well of course! I mean fish tanks are exactly like pools right? I know! I'll add some fish to my pool! It'll be great, they'll be so happy! ~sarcasm~

Seriously though, my Dad isn't allowed to tell me how to keep my tanks anymore.

Also, my mother happened to come to the pet store with me when I was looking for substrate for my shrimp tank. My mother heads over to the tanks and says 'Oh! I like this little guy! Can we put him in your tank??' I walk over to see what she's talking about. I have a 10 gallon freshwater...she's looking at a baby horseshoe crab...

Also, I'm not sure keeping a horseshoe crab is a good idea in the first place. I only know a bit about the species common to the Jersey shores but those get huge. I was very afraid of someone buying it without knowing what they were doing
Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #384
Aquarium Advice Addict

My friend got a new tank for his betta and the kit came with water purifier. I explained the purpose and without reading the instructions, he almost dumped the whole portion into his tank.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #385
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I bought my first Betta, I bought a 1g starter kit (he is now in a 5g with filter and heater) and it had a packet of pellets for him. My mother figured that because it said "daily supplement" that I would use the whole packet in one day. She then suggested I put all of the pellets in. Not knowing anything, I followed what she said and put in ALL of the food. My fish barely survived the night because I also forgot to put in water conditioner. He is happy now tho and fed normal amounts of food.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #386
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A little horrified by the tanks at my local grocery store today......the goldfish have ick so bad. So I went into the other isle found the ick medication and stuck in in between the glass and the plastic lip of the tank. So whomever comes care that cares for these fish knows exactly what needs to be done. Maybe I ought to apply for their job. Clearly I know more about fish then they do.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:36 AM   #387
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavp View Post
A little horrified by the tanks at my local grocery store today......the goldfish have ick so bad. So I went into the other isle found the ick medication and stuck in in between the glass and the plastic lip of the tank. So whomever comes care that cares for these fish knows exactly what needs to be done. Maybe I ought to apply for their job. Clearly I know more about fish then they do.
I know what you mean. There is a pet store nearby that has some fairly rare, expensive, and hard to find fish but every single stack of tanks has ich and I completely refuse to buy anything from there.

I would like to add something that made me feel happy. I went to walmart the other night and their 3 stacks of tanks were in similarly horrible condition. There were two employees of the graveyard shift that noticed one of the oscars dying and were frantically rifling through the medications trying to find something that could help even without them having any idea what was wrong. They felt really really bad for the sick oscar that it restored some of my faith in people. I was able to point out some of the obvious sicknesses in the tanks and they started taking care of it as well as leaving some notes for their manager that was scheduled to come in during the AM.

We chatted about fish for a while and I referred them to my LFS that is pretty good in helping out since they had tanks of their own. I didn't think about recommending that they come here though
Old 08-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #388
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

I know what you mean. There is a pet store nearby that has some fairly rare, expensive, and hard to find fish but every single stack of tanks has ich and I completely refuse to buy anything from there.

I would like to add something that made me feel happy. I went to walmart the other night and their 3 stacks of tanks were in similarly horrible condition. There were two employees of the graveyard shift that noticed one of the oscars dying and were frantically rifling through the medications trying to find something that could help even without them having any idea what was wrong. They felt really really bad for the sick oscar that it restored some of my faith in people. I was able to point out some of the obvious sicknesses in the tanks and they started taking care of it as well as leaving some notes for their manager that was scheduled to come in during the AM.

We chatted about fish for a while and I referred them to my LFS that is pretty good in helping out since they had tanks of their own. I didn't think about recommending that they come here though
Lol mine was the same place... i really should apply for that job.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #389
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post

That makes me happy, too.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #390

Before you go on vacation, feed your fish a lot so they don't need more food

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com