Dumbest Aquarium advice you've ever been given?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This one Lfs in my area sells eels in those tiny betta carriers rather than dedicating a tank to them

You have a 10 gallon? Wow!!! Thats a big tank! You could get 20 goldies in there!" that is not nearly as bad as some of these though.

This one Lfs in my area sells eels in those tiny betta carriers rather than dedicating a tank to them

My LFS keeps some of its more escape prone fish in those too. That's probably why they do it. They keep any crays she sells in them too for the same reason - when they had a big, expensive blue cray loose in a tank, one of the owners found it dead in the far end of the lot the shop is on while he was cutting the grass. It had climbed out, slipped out the door, and made it quite a ways outside. They use big ones for bigger fish, though.

A few years ago I had my 75gallon tank going with all kinds of community fish probably around 300$ worth of fish in it. One day my wife went to the local big box store, she was in pet section getting dog food our son went to look at the fish. they were apparently eyeing the Oscars when a so-called expert told them the Oscar would be a great addition to the fish we had. long story short when I got home from a camping trip all I had was a very fat Oscar.

A few years ago I had my 75gallon tank going with all kinds of community fish probably around 300$ worth of fish in it. One day my wife went to the local big box store, she was in pet section getting dog food our son went to look at the fish. they were apparently eyeing the Oscars when a so-called expert told them the Oscar would be a great addition to the fish we had. long story short when I got home from a camping trip all I had was a very fat Oscar.

Man that must really suck.

Just saw this on [a] site....

The gills respond to infection, irritation, or trauma by secreting protective mucus or thickening the gill surface, which makes it difficult for your pet to breathe. Fungal infections, such as ich (white spot disease) is a common culprit.

Ich is a fungal infection now??? When did scientists decide to convert it???

Last edited by a moderator:
A warning was already posted about not using store names. This site is not a store-bashing venue. Thread closed.
For future reference, trying to be clever and not quite the say the store name but still make it clear to us all what you mean is also not allowed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom