Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #441
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
bigfuzzymonster777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Indiana,
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by paytertot View Post
my advice has never been that bad, but that's because i don't ask for it except for on here lol. The worst was probably that my dads overstocked tank was actually understocked because since it was a 55gal, it could house 55 inches of fish. When i confronted the store owner about the bad advice, he immediately went to calling me a stupid kid and an idiot and not to come back to his store and other not very pleasant things.

I sent my dad in
i bet you know much more than he will ever know.
__________________

__________________
bigfuzzymonster777 is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #442
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
msumpter87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Farmington MO
Posts: 110
This isnt really advice but it is still funny. I was looking at my lfs for a smaller qt or growcout tank and i stumbled on a 40 breeder $25. I thought it was to good to be true because it looked brand new. I went to get an employee to ask a few more questions about the tank. I noticed on my second inspection of the tank the center brace was cracked. The employee looked at me and said its fine it was built like that and it lets the glass flex a little. He asked if I wanted it but I just walked back to my car speechless.
__________________

__________________
msumpter87 is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #443
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ayi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by msumpter87 View Post
This isnt really advice but it is still funny. I was looking at my lfs for a smaller qt or growcout tank and i stumbled on a 40 breeder $25. I thought it was to good to be true because it looked brand new. I went to get an employee to ask a few more questions about the tank. I noticed on my second inspection of the tank the center brace was cracked. The employee looked at me and said its fine it was built like that and it lets the glass flex a little. He asked if I wanted it but I just walked back to my car speechless.
It just shows that people will do anything for money.
__________________
Ayi is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #444
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
A while back, I was returning some fish to my Lfs and they said I could choose a fish to get in return. I was going to get some male guppies but the employee started trying to sell me a rainbow shark without asking how big my tank was.
__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #445
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
AngelFishGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
A while back, I was returning some fish to my Lfs and they said I could choose a fish to get in return. I was going to get some male guppies but the employee started trying to sell me a rainbow shark without asking how big my tank was.
Ugh that's awful! What if your tank was only 10 gallons! LFS employees sometimes......
__________________
I may be a little TOO obsessed with my angels...
AngelFishGirl is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #446
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Oohitsae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Central, OH
Posts: 1,600
Not that this is advice, but kind of ridiculous none the less...
I once had a chain store employee tell me that I couldn't return a pair of guppies because they were still alive. Which is understandable, you don't want to catch any disease in your tanks, but I had only had them 2 days and explained that they had been in their own quarantine tank.
She looked at me like she had no clue why a QT was, and said "sorry, it's still against policy" my reply was "so, you can take dead fish, but won't take back live ones that you are able to resell? Would you prefer if I went back home to euthanize them an bring them back tomorrow so that you can do a return for me then? They simply won't work out in my tank and they have to go somewhere." Not that I'd actually euthanize them, I was just tryin to make a point. Finally after I said that she allowed it.

Then her coworker came over and looked at my bagging Job and saw that it didn't have the stores labeling on it. He asked me if I just went out and bought them somewhere else for cheaper and return them there to make a profit. I was like "yeah, the whole 0.50 I could get on 2 guppies would really be worth it!" (Sarcastically) He asked "then why are they bagged so nice?" .. "Hmmm, maybe because I breed and ship fish" he kind of scoffed and acted like it was impossible to ship live fish but didn't say anything to me after that, and I really wanted to say "how do you think you get your fish in?" But refrained because by then the original girl had processed my refund and I just walked out and haven't been back since lol
__________________
Oohitsae is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #447
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ayi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oohitsae View Post
Not that this is advice, but kind of ridiculous none the less...
I once had a chain store employee tell me that I couldn't return a pair of guppies because they were still alive. Which is understandable, you don't want to catch any disease in your tanks, but I had only had them 2 days and explained that they had been in their own quarantine tank.
She looked at me like she had no clue why a QT was, and said "sorry, it's still against policy" my reply was "so, you can take dead fish, but won't take back live ones that you are able to resell? Would you prefer if I went back home to euthanize them an bring them back tomorrow so that you can do a return for me then? They simply won't work out in my tank and they have to go somewhere." Not that I'd actually euthanize them, I was just tryin to make a point. Finally after I said that she allowed it.

Then her coworker came over and looked at my bagging Job and saw that it didn't have the stores labeling on it. He asked me if I just went out and bought them somewhere else for cheaper and return them there to make a profit. I was like "yeah, the whole 0.50 I could get on 2 guppies would really be worth it!" (Sarcastically) He asked "then why are they bagged so nice?" .. "Hmmm, maybe because I breed and ship fish" he kind of scoffed and acted like it was impossible to ship live fish but didn't say anything to me after that, and I really wanted to say "how do you think you get your fish in?" But refrained because by then the original girl had processed my refund and I just walked out and haven't been back since lol
I think this is one of the funniest things I've ever read!
__________________
Ayi is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #448
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fishfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx99 View Post
It may have been said already but posted all over my LFS are big signs saying:

REMEMBER! Always run your new tank for 7 days before adding fish!!!
I was told 24 hours. By a pet store employee
__________________
fishfan88 is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #449
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Harrison, Arkansas
Posts: 74
7 days is a long time for some impatient people to wait for their fish. I remember having customers put Mollies or even Goldfish in their Saltwater tanks to cycle them years ago. I have had a fish store back in 1977 and have had as many as 50 tanks at home. I have over 20 tanks now from 2 to 90 gallons and have never in my entire life cycled a freshwater tank. I have two 75 gallon stock tanks I keep conditioned aged water in for changing out my over 250 individual Betta containers and various tanks. I occassionally check the parameters but I've never had a problem. Maybe that's just me but I don't have time to cycle every tank.
__________________
Chard56 is offline  
Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #450
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
fishfan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 729
Yeah I've never done a fish less cycle before accept when I bought a tank off kijiji, but it was already used and cycled, so that doesn't really count :P
__________________

__________________
fishfan88 is offline  
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.