Dumbest Aquarium advice you've ever been given?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there was a time I went to [store] with my cousin, she wanted angelfish. So she went over to a employee and asked how many would be okay in a bowl. Yes, a bowl. (I didn't even consider fishes back then so I literally stood there silent haha)

The employee said 4.

So she bought the 4 angelfishes and put them in the bowl. After a short amount of time, you wouldn't believe how cramped it looked in the bowl, and how aggressive they were ):

Thankfully, she has since sold them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there was a time I went to [store] with my cousin, she wanted angelfish. So she went over to a employee and asked how many would be okay in a bowl. Yes, a bowl. (I didn't even consider fishes back then so I literally stood there silent haha)

The employee said 4.

So she bought the 4 angelfishes and put them in the bowl. After a short amount of time, you wouldn't believe how cramped it looked in the bowl, and how aggressive they were ):

Thankfully, she has since sold them.

Jesus I can't believe they didn't die overnight!
With the lack of oxygen...! I bought a wall beta bowl (before I knew what I was doing) and put an angelfish in it (it's probably .5 gallons or so) and it died overnight! I got beta for it, but I became so in love with the angelfish, I used my birthday money to buy myself a 55 gallon tank. Then I realized all the stuff that fish needed, and took a liking to the responsibility of them. Thus, here I am! AngelFishGirl was born! (On here lol) :)

Jesus I can't believe they didn't die overnight!
With the lack of oxygen...! I bought a wall beta bowl (before I knew what I was doing) and put an angelfish in it (it's probably .5 gallons or so) and it died overnight! I got beta for it, but I became so in love with the angelfish, I used my birthday money to buy myself a 55 gallon tank. Then I realized all the stuff that fish needed, and took a liking to the responsibility of them. Thus, here I am! AngelFishGirl was born! (On here lol) :)

I've always wanted an angelfish but my parents always tell me "when I get my own place" I can, because of the required tank size. Haha, oh well.
It was a 5 gallon fish bowl, and the angelfish were still super tiny at the time. It lasted a week to be specific, maybe it was just luck.
They grow pretty fast, after that week it was clear that the bowl wasn't doing justice.

But she does have her own angelfish now, in a 75 gal! (Though it took some time) It's amazing how inaccurate information can be.

I think another time I got bad info was when I asked an employee if a moss ball was ok with my tank. ( this was before I knew what the heck I was doing, mind you.) WORSE. DECISION. EVER. :(

I think another time I got bad info was when I asked an employee if a moss ball was ok with my tank. ( this was before I knew what the heck I was doing, mind you.) WORSE. DECISION. EVER. :(

A moss ball? What could POSSIBLY go wrong with a ball of moss??? :eek: *is inexperienced with plants*

I've always wanted an angelfish but my parents always tell me "when I get my own place" I can, because of the required tank size. Haha, oh well.
It was a 5 gallon fish bowl, and the angelfish were still super tiny at the time. It lasted a week to be specific, maybe it was just luck.
They grow pretty fast, after that week it was clear that the bowl wasn't doing justice.

But she does have her own angelfish now, in a 75 gal! (Though it took some time) It's amazing how inaccurate information can be.

What's your tank size?
And that's WONDERFUL that she know has them in a 75! I LOVE angels and would adopt every single one I saw if I could. I have 5 (getting one more to even out aggression) in a 55. Obviously overstocked, but as soon as I move out I am getting at least 75 (but going for 125-200) to house angels. I want to breed and sell and just inform and distribute nice looking beautiful angelfish for the world so I can share their beauty :)

But anyways, we should PM if we want to discuss this from now to keep this thread on track. :p

when I got my first betta a slim film started to grow over the surface of my 1g bowl so we researched and discovered we needed a filter so we went to a chain petstore and looked at all the different filters and my mom asked an employee what filter was best for a 1g and the guy said he didn't recommend filters at all because they were a waste of money because fish love to eat the film!! shortly after that my betta was upgraded to a nice and roomie 10g that came with a filter!! Luckily thats why I researched more about fish because I didn't believe the employee, so I learned the proper requirements of my fish!

What happened!? A terrorizing moss ball? Lmao.

What happened? I don't really understand.

Mom-in-law who lives with us is old school and impatient. She can't grasp the idea of cycling the tank and lectures me daily about wasted electricity and reminding me that her goldfish lived a whole year in a 6 oz glass of tap water when she was a kid.

She bought a common pleco and I made her return it. But she came back with the same one citing that the expert at Walmart promised it would do fine in a 20g high tank with 2 black moors. (Those were her purchases too)

Finally, she wants to put angel fish in the 36g that I'm cycling. She states that at least 12 of them will be just fine.

I've forbidden her from purchasing any fish for my tanks.

True story: My father is one of the WORST fish keepers EVER.

He has a 55 gallon in his basement.

Bare bottom with actual river rocks.
Filter: I think a tetra model suited for a 10g
Lighting: a reptile lamp!
Hood: a screen mesh
Plants: bamboo
Heat: none

First stock: assorted Goldies with bullhead cats and crawfish kidnapped from a local river. Craw dads managed to canibalize each other. Don't know what happened to the cats. Assorted fish deaths. Also there were toads in the tank but I rescued them and released them into his garden.

Second stock: assorted goldies, mix of survivors of season 1 and newbies. And here's the topper. BETTAS. Yes he has added bettas and they're all males. I am astounded that these fish are alive and well and have not butchered each other. He has at least 4 and I'm just at a loss for words. His explanation: his fish are tough and not sissies like my tank and his tank is all natural. >__<

And yes his [store=big chain] enables him..........

I was at my local pet store the other day and while I was looking at the fish the girl admitted to me she knew nothing about fish but really wanted to know more. So I spent 30 minites explaining the bare basics of fish keeping. Cylcing water changes stocking and why tropical and goldies should not go together. She was shocked to say the least. But I'm pretty happy because she really seemed interested to know more and I think she's gonna go out and do more research on her own. Feeling acomplished :)

I was at my local pet store the other day and while I was looking at the fish the girl admitted to me she knew nothing about fish but really wanted to know more. So I spent 30 minites explaining the bare basics of fish keeping. Cylcing water changes stocking and why tropical and goldies should not go together. She was shocked to say the least. But I'm pretty happy because she really seemed interested to know more and I think she's gonna go out and do more research on her own. Feeling acomplished :)

I do the same thing when people go to buy turtles. It's like a social stigma that turtles and goldfish only live in a tiny fishbowl. Stuff you ignorant and uneducated media! Haha it's always the little kid that goes mommy daddy I want a turtle! And there I am to say, "like hell you do!" But no it's amazing how much people are unaware about these things. But then again it's not a lack of knowledge that irks me, it's the deliberate "idc I want what I want and I do what I want no matter who gets in the way or who I hurt"

Yeah, my neighbor has 3 red eared sliders in a 10 gallon. She is upgrading to a 20 at least for now and giving all but one away soon, though. Family members just kind of dumped them on her when they got bored with them. I have helped her realize that their needs are greater than she thought, and more than she can really give. So she has decided to keep one as long as she can and then give it up as she wants it to live well even if it's not with her.

Sad thing is honestly giving back goldfish is kinda pointless. The likley hood some somebody educated in fish picking up that goldfish and giving it a good roomy healthy home is low. Thats why I kept mine. They dont have the biggest home but I give them alot of water changes and I do the best I can. I'm hoping to upgrade my babys home soon though :)

She bought a common pleco and I made her return it. But she came back with the same one citing that the expert at Walmart promised it would do fine in a 20g high tank with 2 black moors. (Those were her purchases too)

She's going to be tickled pink when that pleco beastie starts attacking her moors. I had one almost lose an eye from the misconception that fancy goldfish and plecos are good tankmates...:banghead:

Called the local fish store to ask about Blackwater Extract (because I couldn't find almond leaves for my bettas), the guy had no clue what I was talking about, they've never carried it (they sell bettas and piranhas, 2 species I know are blackwater). When I said it creates a more natural environment for my bettas, he told me that I would need mud to create a more natural environment, because... get this... Bettas live in BUFFALO HOOFPRINTS! <_<

I no longer shop there.

I also enjoy the looks on people's faces when they hear I have a healthy sorority of betta girls. It never occurs to anyone that females can potentially live together.

She's going to be tickled pink when that pleco beastie starts attacking her moors. I had one almost lose an eye from the misconception that fancy goldfish and plecos are good tankmates...:banghead:

Called the local fish store to ask about Blackwater Extract (because I couldn't find almond leaves for my bettas), the guy had no clue what I was talking about, they've never carried it (they sell bettas and piranhas, 2 species I know are blackwater). When I said it creates a more natural environment for my bettas, he told me that I would need mud to create a more natural environment, because... get this... Bettas live in BUFFALO HOOFPRINTS! <_<

I no longer shop there.

I also enjoy the looks on people's faces when they hear I have a healthy sorority of betta girls. It never occurs to anyone that females can potentially live together.

I died laughing at buffalo hoofprints XD

Wow some of these stories are killing me! The buffaloe footprint and ich as a good food for fish are tied for the lead and a close second to the 55 gallon horror story!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom