Dumbest Aquarium advice you've ever been given?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know right? I've seen hexagon tanks online for like 1000 dollars! (No exaggeration) I've also seen regular 50 or 60 gals for somewhere between $500 and $800! I mean, I know that aquariums are supposed to be waterproof (duh!) and all that but why so expensive?

I was wondering the same thing until I checked how much it would cost me to make my own tank. After I saw that then I understood.

I know right? I've seen hexagon tanks online for like 1000 dollars! (No exaggeration) I've also seen regular 50 or 60 gals for somewhere between $500 and $800! I mean, I know that aquariums are supposed to be waterproof (duh!) and all that but why so expensive?

Craigslist is probably my best option when i get a bigger sized tank..I've seen tanks as big as 75 for $200 with filter and everything :D

Just never resort to a bowl (like the lps employee told my cousin) and I think you should be good, if you have the right tank size.

That's pretty much the norm over here. My LFS has a 350ltr corner tank- $1700!!!

"Oh you have a ten gallon? Why don't you try getting some koi! They only grow three feet each or so. You could get 3 or 4!"

+______+

Going out LFS shopping today! I'll make sure to post any dumb advice I get! I'll be out for literally HOURS shopping, so hopefully something good comes up

That's pretty much the norm over here. My LFS has a 350ltr corner tank- $1700!!!

This is the reason why I'm sticking to only double digit sized tanks for now. On top of that, my parents aren't soo thrilled about a fish tank (except my mom who wants to participate in decorating it)...

And not just tanks, just a couple days ago I spent $200+ (basically all my allowance money) just for the BASIC items needed..and that didn't even include a heater which is $30. I can only imagine the price when I start buying lighting and plants this week..

Dumb aquarium advice of the day: "Oscars are only a few inches bigger than gouramis"...yeah, sounds legit.

This is the reason why I'm sticking to only double digit sized tanks for now. On top of that, my parents aren't soo thrilled about a fish tank (except my mom who wants to participate in decorating it)...

And not just tanks, just a couple days ago I spent $200+ (basically all my allowance money) just for the BASIC items needed..and that didn't even include a heater which is $30. I can only imagine the price when I start buying lighting and plants this week..

Dumb aquarium advice of the day: "Oscars are only a few inches bigger than gouramis"...yeah, sounds legit.

Hey if your mom is on board, then its 2 against 1, you win! Let her help decorate and feel she's a part of it (she won't know the difference, I do this to my wife all the time, LOL).

Hey if your mom is on board, then its 2 against 1, you win! Let her help decorate and feel she's a part of it (she won't know the difference, I do this to my wife all the time, LOL).

Yeah, she actually picked out some pretty natural and useful decor so I'm all for it. Yesterday I tried sneaking the subject of adding live plants and new fish in the future, and she was like "Yeah I wanna see what plants we can put!" Followed by a "I can't wait to see new fishes in the tank!"

#winning LOL I just wish she was as into it as I am though.

My dad doesn't really care, as long as he's not paying. He just doesn't think it's all that impressive. Oh well

Yeah, she actually picked out some pretty natural and useful decor so I'm all for it. Yesterday I tried sneaking the subject of adding live plants and new fish in the future, and she was like "Yeah I wanna see what plants we can put!" Followed by a "I can't wait to see new fishes in the tank!"

#winning LOL I just wish she was as into it as I am though.

My dad doesn't really care, as long as he's not paying. He just doesn't think it's all that impressive. Oh well

My parents visited me at school once after I upgraded my tank and they didn't understand why I have a thirty gallon with just one goldfish... my dad said.... "why spend this much time and money if they don't even live that long?" Fish can live 5-10 yrs. My specie of goldfish is thought to live 3-5 with proper care. He's almost 1 year!!!! ^_^

Not bad advice per se, but the whole "fish don't live long" is a big misconception. Goldfish can live to be over 15 if cared for well. Many other species are just as long lived. The key is proper care.

Not bad advice per se, but the whole "fish don't live long" is a big misconception. Goldfish can live to be over 15 if cared for well. Many other species are just as long lived. The key is proper care.

He said it like fish only live like a month or so. They're surprised my fish has lived this long! The tap water I use for pwc is bad but it's also the best and most cost effective option. I just clean my tank a lot to avoid sickness and worse water quality

My parents visited me at school once after I upgraded my tank and they didn't understand why I have a thirty gallon with just one goldfish... my dad said.... "why spend this much time and money if they don't even live that long?" Fish can live 5-10 yrs. My specie of goldfish is thought to live 3-5 with proper care. He's almost 1 year!!!! ^_^

That's EXACTLY what my parents say..

"They don't even have a long lifespan!!"

That's why I wish they were into it. When I pointed out all the basic things I'm going to need just for the fishes, they questioned every single thing. For example: "Why do you need a heater?! Just use warm water!" Or "Why do you need a freshwater test kit?! The water isn't poison!" And even when I explain, they have a blank expression on their face..oh well, that's just how it is lol. I'm seriously resorting to printing out things from online so they can catch up and understand that what I'm providing is actually needed for them.

Surprisingly enough, my mom is actually excited to buy live plants (she hates the fake plant) and new fishes (after cycled)! :D

I had a pet store employee insist that nitrates should always be at 0 in a cycled tank. I told him that my aquarium is planted so I generally keep it between 10-20 ppm. He asked how often I do water changes and I said about 25% every 3 days to keep nitrates down.

He then proceeded to tell me that those water changes were removing the good bacteria that process nitrates. I could barely hold in the guffaw. So, I asked him what those process into. You know, since ammonia gets turned intro nitrites and nitrites get turned into nitrates, what do nitrates get turned into? *dead silence*

Then proceeded to tell me I shouldn't buy fish because their fish were accustomed to nitrates at 0. Bought a plant so I would have a water sample. Tested at 80ppm nitrates. 0.25 ammonia, 0.25 nitrites.

Just so much awesome. Wonder if he's ever thought of sticking a test strip in his own tanks? lol

Its not really advice, but my grandma's "experience"

Before she moved she had a small fountain in her yard, (about a 40 gallon fountain) which she put 7 goldies in, and she had one koi in with them.
She named the koi Harry, and then there were babies everywhere.

Before she thought it was enough she had about 40 small goldies, not including the koi or seven adult goldies.

She then moved and installed a 30 g ish pond in her yard. And bought 6 goldies. 3 died soon after. She then told me her neighbor gave her 4 medium sized goldies, bringing the total to seven.

Every time i go over there i try to convince her that it wound NOT be great if they had babies "like her other ones did" lol

I had a pet store employee insist that nitrates should always be at 0 in a cycled tank. I told him that my aquarium is planted so I generally keep it between 10-20 ppm. He asked how often I do water changes and I said about 25% every 3 days to keep nitrates down.

He then proceeded to tell me that those water changes were removing the good bacteria that process nitrates. I could barely hold in the guffaw. So, I asked him what those process into. You know, since ammonia gets turned intro nitrites and nitrites get turned into nitrates, what do nitrates get turned into? *dead silence*

Then proceeded to tell me I shouldn't buy fish because their fish were accustomed to nitrates at 0. Bought a plant so I would have a water sample. Tested at 80ppm nitrates. 0.25 ammonia, 0.25 nitrites.

Just so much awesome. Wonder if he's ever thought of sticking a test strip in his own tanks? lol

At my lfs they have signs stating each single Goldie needs 30+ gallons. Good idea right? But.... get this... the shop people suggest they only need ten gallons since you buy them small. Probably to sell you cheap so you come back later to buy more stuff for a larger tank.

Hmm, some species of gourami can get larger than Oscars... But they are not often found in the aquarium trade.. I think it would be quite a challenge to get access to one of those big guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom