Dumbest Aquarium advice you've ever been given?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swords don't grow large
You can keep seven sharks in a ten gallon
Bamboo stays small
Hm....
Oh the age old fish have a short memory span
Toilet flushing is the most humane way to euthanize a fish (it's not, it's the worst)
The old bad tip of running the tank for 24 hours before purchasing the fish
Bettas can be kept in cups with a plant and be ok

That's what I'm being told and I'm like NOAP!!

I went to a chain pet store and over heard some customers looking for feeder fish. They saw some glofish, assumed it was the same thing as goldfish and planned on purchasing some to feed their oscar. I didn't stay to hear the end.

Oh boy... I can only imagine the look on their faces when the cashier gave them their total. Feeder fish are usually less than $.50 each, while glofish are like $8 a pop... Guess you have to pay a premium to watch you Oscar have tie dye poop.

Oh boy... I can only imagine the look on their faces when the cashier gave them their total. Feeder fish are usually less than $.50 each, while glofish are like $8 a pop... Guess you have to pay a premium to watch you Oscar have tie dye poop.

I'd pay for that! Lol!

Okay guys, heres one to make you laugh

You should never ever trust the internet (after mentioning you guys) people just like to lie and hide behind a username.

Okay guys, heres one to make you laugh

You should never ever trust the internet (after mentioning you guys) people just like to lie and hide behind a username.

Sometimes true though, also what works for one may not work for you.

Here's one I got today after asking if Prime or API was better for a water conditioner:

"You honestly don't need water conditioner, they're just there to waste money. If you ever clean your water, just take out all the water, decor and plants and wash your tank with lots of soap. So when you put the water back in, it won't carry any toxins. That's what I do and I only lost a fish!"

Yeah I just bought both conditioners LOL

Here's one I got today after asking if Prime or API was better for a water conditioner:

"You honestly don't need water conditioner, they're just there to waste money. If you ever clean your water, just take out all the water, decor and plants and wash your tank with lots of soap. So when you put the water back in, it won't carry any toxins. That's what I do and I only lost a fish!"

I think this beats "ich is good for fish" for dumbest advice. Must have only ever put one fish in the tank, then never replaced it. I'm not sure which would be worse for the fish, the chlorine or the soap residue.

PS - prime gets my vote for best water conditioner.

Recently, in a store in a small town SW of Fort Worth, I was td that the best filtration you can use is an under-gravel filter. More came out of her mouth, but my brain checked out with that.

I think this beats "ich is good for fish" for dumbest advice. Must have only ever put one fish in the tank, then never replaced it. I'm not sure which would be worse for the fish, the chlorine or the soap residue.

PS - prime gets my vote for best water conditioner.

He said Palmolive works best and that other dishwashing soaps won't work, and its funny because I use Palmolive to wash dishes...as for the water conditioners, Prime is a tad bit more expensive than the API stress coat, but I love the fact that it 'removes' ammonia! Think I'm gonna switch once I finish the bottle.

I use amquel I think it is. White bottle and is teal ish and grey.
This is pretty great hahaha I think it ties for the ich one

Prime usually ends up being cheaper due to how concentrated it is. you pay more for a bottle but that bottle will last longer than the cheaper stuff.

Prime usually ends up being cheaper due to how concentrated it is. you pay more for a bottle but that bottle will last longer than the cheaper stuff.

1ml for 10g is waaaay less than APIs 5ml for 10g. Great, ill just use API for their treatments and stuff.

Though if worst comes to worst, I may have to use Palmolive like the employee said....

/sarcasm

1ml for 10g is waaaay less than APIs 5ml for 10g. Great, ill just use API for their treatments and stuff.

Though if worst comes to worst, I may have to use Palmolive like the employee said....

/sarcasm

I got a better idea.. Just carve tank decorations out of bars of soap. You can get the cleaning action in a time release capsule!

I got a better idea.. Just carve tank decorations out of bars of soap. You can get the cleaning action in a time release capsule!

Holy cow that's brilliant! A water conditioner AND decor at once?! Wow, I bet when my cories come in, they would be making tons of soap bubbles, perfect for healthy oxygen levels!

But I wonder what's better, Shea butter or Lavender scent? I don't know about you, I think they'd appreciate the Shea butter..who doesn't like butter?! Wow, I can't believe water conditioners are on the shelves anyway..what a scam!

Guys, if a employee ever tells you to use soap as a water conditioner, you have a right to get all the water conditioner you want. For free. :D

Holy cow that's brilliant! A water conditioner AND decor at once?! Wow, I bet when my cories come in, they would be making tons of soap bubbles, perfect for healthy oxygen levels!

But I wonder what's better, Shea butter or Lavender scent? I don't know about you, I think they'd appreciate the Shea butter..who doesn't like butter?! Wow, I can't believe water conditioners are on the shelves anyway..what a scam!

Guys, if a employee ever tells you to use soap as a water conditioner, you have a right to get all the water conditioner you want. For free. :D

My corys prefer Irish springs! Could I take prize B for their stupidity and get to take 1 free groin shot at them?

My corys prefer Irish springs! Could I take prize B for their stupidity and get to take 1 free groin shot at them?

Mine liked dove the best. Their scales are always so shiny. I call next in line for the groin shot, but maybe I'll just bring a baseball bat or a crowbar with me that day.

Mine liked dove the best. Their scales are always so shiny. I call next in line for the groin shot, but maybe I'll just bring a baseball bat or a crowbar with me that day.

My platy love Olay! It's softer on their bioload. I wonder if shampoo would help with fin rot or make their fins shinier..hmmm

It's pretty sad because I saw someone holding a plastic container with a betta go up to him for advice. I just hope he didn't give the same soap speech ):

My platy love Olay! It's softer on their bioload. I wonder if shampoo would help with fin rot or make their fins shinier..hmmm

It's pretty sad because I saw someone holding a plastic container with a betta go up to him for advice. I just hope he didn't give the same soap speech ):

Conditioner works wonders for my African feather fin. He's almost show ready now
That poor, poor betta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom