Dumbest Aquarium advice you've ever been given?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Conditioner works wonders for my African feather fin. He's almost show ready now
That poor, poor betta

Really?! I was thinking of using Pantene Master Pro V (okay in all seriousness, I use it on my hair so I know it's full name LOL)

Yeah..I still can't believe someone recommended me to use soap as a water conditioner..where do people get this stuff, really.

Really?! I was thinking of using Pantene Master Pro V (okay in all seriousness, I use it on my hair so I know it's full name LOL)

Yeah..I still can't believe someone recommended me to use soap as a water conditioner..where do people get this stuff, really.

Bravo, I need to try that for my angel fish

And the human mind is a scary place, especially when it comes to fish

If you guys want a laugh, search " what rookie fish keepers say" on YouTube. Be sure to watch part 1 and 2. It's made by a great fish keeper so he knows better.

Yeah it's a funny video. Please don't leave any negative comments. The person is one of my favorite fish keepers on youtube and I wouldn't want to see any insults towards him

LFS manager told me that I should get readings of ammonia-0ppm, nitrAtes-0ppm, and nitrItes-50ppm. Then when I corrected her she said everyone on this forum is lying about nitrIte and nitrAte readings and she has had tanks for forty years this way supposedly.

LFS manager told me that I should get readings of ammonia-0ppm, nitrAtes-0ppm, and nitrItes-50ppm. Then when I corrected her she said everyone on this forum is lying about nitrIte and nitrAte readings and she has had tanks for forty years this way supposedly.

Good thing we all know that in a cycled aquarium, these readings are impossible. Correct me if I'm wrong but once the tank has cycled, you can't have high TRITES with 0 TRATES anymore as the bacteria is converting trites to trates immediately. You can only get that kind of reading in an uncycled tank.

She may have been keeping tanks for that long but not keeping a single tank for that long. :brows: Then again, I'm old too and sometimes get my I's and A's mixed up :blink::lol: :D

Good thing we all know that in a cycled aquarium, these readings are impossible. Correct me if I'm wrong but once the tank has cycled, you can't have high TRITES with 0 TRATES anymore as the bacteria is converting trites to trates immediately. You can only get that kind of reading in an uncycled tank.

She may have been keeping tanks for that long but not keeping a single tank for that long. :brows: Then again, I'm old too and sometimes get my I's and A's mixed up :blink::lol: :D

It would take some massive effort on her part to get those readings consistently. :lol:

It goes ammonia, trites then trates. You switched them around

My last post was.meant for this. It goes ammonia then trites then trates. So usually trates are about 50

Me too! I've heard a lot of those actually. My favorite being "why do I need to change the water of I have a filter?" LOL

I would have invested in better filters before I got my fish if I knew goldies were dirty. I have two big ones going now and he's doing great. I didn't find this site until about two months after my fish so I did some things wrong from the start but everyone here helped me fix it!

Me too! I've heard a lot of those actually. My favorite being "why do I need to change the water of I have a filter?" LOL

When I first started fish keeping, I had a filter and questioned it. I was like "why does the filter not take care of everything?" LOL but now I'm like "oh my god it's SO OBVIOUS!!"

My favorite was " where did all the water go? I had 8 oscars in that 10 gallon tank"

It goes ammonia, trites then trates. You switched them around

Good eye, but I didn't switch them.:confused: According to the post I responded to, the store clerk/ manager stated that she had 0 nitrates and 50 ppm nitrites which has to be backwards in a cycled aquarium. You can only have numbers that way in an uncycled tank as once the Nitrites are being converted into Nitrates, they are always being converted so in order to have a 0 nitrate and higher nitrite level, the nitrobacters cannot be present meaning you have an uncycled ( or partially cycled depending on how you look at the glass ;)) tank. She had stated that she had been keeping tanks for 40 years with those numbers. That was my point, she may have been keeping tanks for 40 years but if she had the same tank running for 40 years, those number couldn't be right.
I believe she just may have been confusing her trites and trates at that moment or she really didn't know what she was talking about. Either way, I was just saying that we here on AA seem to have the correct direction of the cycle down. (y)

Good eye, but I didn't switch them.:confused: According to the post I responded to, the store clerk/ manager stated that she had 0 nitrates and 50 ppm nitrites which has to be backwards in a cycled aquarium. You can only have numbers that way in an uncycled tank as once the Nitrites are being converted into Nitrates, they are always being converted so in order to have a 0 nitrate and higher nitrite level, the nitrobacters cannot be present meaning you have an uncycled ( or partially cycled depending on how you look at the glass ;)) tank. She had stated that she had been keeping tanks for 40 years with those numbers. That was my point, she may have been keeping tanks for 40 years but if she had the same tank running for 40 years, those number couldn't be right.
I believe she just may have been confusing her trites and trates at that moment or she really didn't know what she was talking about. Either way, I was just saying that we here on AA seem to have the correct direction of the cycle down. (y)

I know I think op explained what the clerk said. I also quoted the wrong post. But yeah, what the clerk said wasn't right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom