Dumbest thing done during a water change?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savage

Aquarium Advice Activist
It seems like I do so many now that I occasionally get a little lackadaisical. One night I didn't pay attention when I hooked up to the sink and flooded the bathroom. Didn't realize it until the tank was filled. Duh! I thought it was filling slowly. And today I almost vacumed up a ghost shrimp.

Just curious what kind of PWC stories everyone might have???

Ran a hose to a 55G and when I left it the hose went on the floor (my floor was soaked for 3 days and smell was horrible!!)

Almost killed my fish by taking out about 95% of the water. Lol I went up stairs and came back down to only about 3 inches of water!

taking water out by manual syp (sucking on the tube) wernt paying attion and got a gob full of ****, sand and a baby plec in one hit

I have overfilled and over drained to about 95%. The last one scared the c$&: out of me.

My last pwc was just one mistake after another. Ended up with a mouthful of water starting the siphon in my 5 gal because I can't prime it normally because the tank is too shallow, then the end of the hose fell out of the bucket. Had the hose splash out of the bucket again doing the 20 gal, and while returning with a full bucket of new water I tripped and sloshed a good bit onto the floor. And I almost forgot to add prime to 2 out of 3 buckets. Keyword being almost, thankfully. I am so happy I have tile floors though...

My last pwc was just one mistake after another. Ended up with a mouthful of water starting the siphon in my 5 gal because I can't prime it normally because the tank is too shallow, then the end of the hose fell out of the bucket. Had the hose splash out of the bucket again doing the 20 gal, and while returning with a full bucket of new water I tripped and sloshed a good bit onto the floor. And I almost forgot to add prime to 2 out of 3 buckets. Keyword being almost, thankfully. I am so happy I have tile floors though...

I feel for ya! If all of that happened on a sitcom I'd be laughing my butt off though.

I thought I'd be super-efficient one night and decided to fill my sons filter from the syphon to get it primed, and sprayed all over the wall and a poster or two!

Got distracted refilling my 80 gallon and overfilled big time I had about 30 gallons on the floor and my livingroom at the time was laminate click flooring and it swelled and buckled like crazy i had to replace the whole floor which meant moving 7 tanks out of my livingroom

George9 said:
Almost killed my fish by taking out about 95% of the water. Lol I went up stairs and came back down to only about 3 inches of water!

I did this too .. but in a 10g fry tank.. I came back and gravel was higher than the water in a lot of spots.. they all pooled to the corners :/

I worked at a pet store where my boss lived in the basement. I overfilled a 75g right above his bed. Yeah I got sentenced to clipping bird wings the next day. It hurt.

Sucked up all my rams eggs, I didn't see them until it was too late :-( I'm thinking about changing the color of my substrate now.

When I first started fish keeping (a few weeks in) I was gravel vacuuming into a bucket and forgot what I was doing, overflowed on to the floor, PANICKED, dropped my hood into my tank thus breaking the bulb containing mercury IN the tank...had to take out all the fish and take out the water and substrate and filter and start that tank over from scratch after cleaning it very well. lol The closest I have come to quitting the hobby yet.

ryan-peddle said:
Got distracted refilling my 80 gallon and overfilled big time I had about 30 gallons on the floor and my livingroom at the time was laminate click flooring and it swelled and buckled like crazy i had to replace the whole floor which meant moving 7 tanks out of my livingroom

Ouch! I would say your the winner of the challenge so far.

Ouch! I would say your the winner of the challenge so far.

Haha! It was SUCH a mess...also, I am a bit of a hypochondriac, so I was all suited up in as much mask and gloves and cover as I could get and freaking out that I was still getting mercury poisoning the whole time. Luckily all turned out OK and I can laugh about the whole thing now, but at the time I was really thinking "gee, fish keeping might not be for me". lol

WOW! That will be a hard one to top! LOL! Glad you stuck with the hobby, but that would have had me reconsidering too.

ryan-peddle said:
I don't know if it's a title I want to win but I will wear the crown

Sorry about that. I could only imagine the damage, few weeks ago my CO2 line some how popped off leaving the check valve still connected to the line coming from the CO2 tank, which left the line from the aquarium with nothing and point straight down below the tank level... This then somehow started to syphen..... Oh ya i wasnt home. My wife calls me freaking out lol. Lost 10 gallon only, but the water screwed up the hardwood and went into the basement. I was a real mess, so thats why i dont even want to imagine what you had to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom