Earthquake Protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, the earthquake we had a week ago was with an unknown fault.

no damage and centered 3 miles below the surface but still a fault line no one knew existed.

I dunno if yall felt it down in the heartland but it was around 3am and a 3.8 I think, threw the scientists off so bad they claimed it was stronger and located alot further away. I slept right thru it due to being a SoCal boy but woke my kids right up.
We had tanks in SoCal which is rife with earthquakes. I dont think there is much you can do other then strap the stand to a stud wall or bolt the stand to the ground itself. I know we had concrete foundations and usually that was enough, never had a tank slightly move during major quakes. The 89 frisco quake shook the snot out of us way down in san diego but the tanks never moved.

Yeah... about the only thing you can do is bolt the stand down to the floor, or strap it to a stud in the wall. The main problem would be if the stand started rocking and the momentum of the tank tipped it over. With the stand secured, there normally wouldn't enough ground movement to tip the tank. If there was, the tank would be the least of your concerns.

The other thing to think about is anything that may be hanging on the wall behind or next to the tank that could fall off. The wall behind/above our tank is completely bare. Don't want anything coming down on top of it and breaking the glass.

Thanks guys. Yeah didn't think there was much protection against an earthquakes, since I never really hear anyone talk about it. Just curious, would a concrete basement be safer during an earthquake since it would probably be stabler or more dangerous since it's in the ground. I don't even have a basement but Im just wandering lol.

if the quake is strong enough to knock down the tank i think you will have other things to worry about.... the 4-5 something that last hit cali even the racks hardly moved.... the water sloshed about a little but not too much.

Well I didn't know as the only quakes we had happened while I was asleep and I didn't have my 55 gallon then, so I have never felt a quake and I really don't have much insight on them lol that's kinda why I asked and that we don't really have a concrete foundation. Thanks for the reply :).

i am in cali and i really dont worry about it.... how many quakes do you get in Kentucky? lol

Lol it's just a while back there was a few ppl thinking the new madrid fault had a big one coming since it hasn't had a big quake (series) since 1811-1812. Made the Mississippi run backwards lol.

and cali is going to fall off into the ocean..... you can sit and worry and there some things you should prepare for but large bodies of water take a lot of force to knock over.

Haha yeah. I guess it didn't sink into my head how heavy the 55g was just sliding it with just enough water to keep the fish alive. At least it's in a more stable place now (it used to wobble really bad in it's original spot). Thanks.

Lol it's just a while back there was a few ppl thinking the new madrid fault had a big one coming since it hasn't had a big quake (series) since 1811-1812. Made the Mississippi run backwards lol.

I'm glad someone else posted! I have actually been wondering about that for a while now as well (along with what I would do about my fishtanks to try and make them as "earthquake proof" as possible). I live in Memphis, which is pretty much right on the New Madrid fault. Around here people are always talking about how we're long overdue for a major earthquake. It never hurts to think about it or be prepared I guess.

and cali is going to fall off into the ocean

If cali falls off into the ocean and becomes a island then you will be close to a new reef eventually. lol

See, I knew I wasn't completely insane lol.

COMPLETELY is the key word here

I see no need to worry. If you have a earthquake the tank is to heavy to tip really. I live in florida and according to the global warming specs with the ice caps melting most of florida is gonna be under water. Fortunatly i live in 1 of the higher peeks of Florida and most maps predict that we are gonna be a little island. My mom says she is waiting and looking forward to it because we will finally have water front property. :cool:

You dont see me worrying, lol.

Yeah I know, thats why I included it lol.
btw, I'm not as worried as much anymore thanks to your's and mg's comforting words lol. :)

If cali falls off into the ocean and becomes a island then you will be close to a new reef eventually.

Wait, does that mean Las Vegas becomes a beach town? I'm liking this idea more and more.

Seriously, as long as you have a sturdy and stable stand, (absent any dwelling structural issues) you should be fine.

P.S. Buy some desert before its gone!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom