Eating Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy fish, whether taking care of them or eating a pound and a half of salmon. Now, since I've had a bamboo shrimp and I know that they are farm raised as a food source...I sometimes hesitate before eating shrimp (only for a second though!).

deli_conker said:
I usually have nigiri sushi for lunch on Fridays.

What is "nigrii" sushi? I know what nigrii is (onigirii is seaweed). I just have never heard of eating only the rice and seaweed....I am going to guess that you mean maki sushi (rolled sushi)?

in my family the seaweed is salted with bop (rice) and its really good. another way is eat it the seaweed, soy sauce, green peppers, dried red peppers, and rice. thats also good

in my family the seaweed is salted with bop (rice) and its really good. another way is eat it the seaweed, soy sauce, green peppers, dried red peppers, and rice. thats also good

What is "nigrii" sushi? I know what nigrii is (onigirii is seaweed). I just have never heard of eating only the rice and seaweed....I am going to guess that you mean maki sushi (rolled sushi)?

The word "sushi" refers to the vinegared rice that is in whatever you are eating.

The most common forms are: Nigiri-Sushi (hand shaped sushi), Oshi-Sushi (pressed sushi), Maki-Sushi (rolled sushi) and Chirashi-sushi (scattered sushi).

Nigiri is a slice of whatever you are having on a hand shaped ball of rice (usually oblong) with a minute amount of wasabi in between. A good Itamae-San (sushi chef) will put the exact amount of wasabi on so that's it is not too much, but enough that is brings out the flavor of the fish.

Sashimi is good every now and then too. It's basically nigiri sushi without the sushi (remember that sushi by itself is vinegared rice).

I found a pic of some nigiri-sushi. Tuna, I believe.

I usually don't eat maki-sushi and I rarely eat fresh water fish raw as they are more likely to have parasites (although a good Itamae-San will spot them and not serve the fish).

deli_conker said:
The most common forms are: Nigiri-Sushi (hand shaped sushi), Oshi-Sushi (pressed sushi), Maki-Sushi (rolled sushi) and Chirashi-sushi (scattered sushi).

Don't forget Squooshy Sushi, Mooshy Sushi and Gooshy Sushi.

PS how do you know so much about sushi, deli.. do you own a deli or what :D

I can't look at nori anymore without thinking of yellow tangs anyway.

Thanks for clearing that up, deli_conker! Now when my husband gets home he will be impressed - he generally has it most days for lunch and has grown weary of explaining the differences to me. He likes the fish inside some kind of extremely thin paper wrap - possibly made of soy?

He likes the fish inside some kind of extremely thin paper wrap - possibly made of soy?
Is the thin paper green? If so then it is seaweed which means he's having Maki-sushi. If it is brown-ish, then it may be Inari-sushi which is fried tofu (soy bean curd). But IME, that usually isn't very thin. It usually looks like a dumpling or something.

do you own a deli or what
No deli here. The name has it's own story. I learned about sushi by trying to learn Japanese. Lots of Japanese is spoken at authentic sushi bars so it gives exposure to the language and a chance to practice a little here and there with somebody who is fluent in the language. Not to mention the fact that I usually get better service when they see I am at least trying to learn their native tounge.

Very cool deli! And a difficult language to learn, to boot.

I like to order stuff from jlist.com where they have a representative in Japan that hangs out and sends out newsletters of what his family is doing there.

I order weird stuff like pocky sticks, snapping cotton candy gum, xylish caffiene gum and whatnot from jlist that gets sent right from japan. Have not ordered any fish things yet.

Yum, I could use a coupla little sushis right now. :mrgreen:

I don't have a problem eating fish, I like the mild tasting ones like mahi mahi, grouper, snapper. What I can't do is order lobster from a place that has them crawling around live in a tank, and you pick one out. No way. I don't want to meet my food before I eat it. 8O

I eat beef and chicken, and that's a lot worse because of the conditions they're raised in. I tried going vegetarian a couple times but got bored and started to crave hamburgers after a while. :wink:

i find it hard to eat fish, i havent eaten fish for 2 years now...that is how long i have had fish. :lol: :lol: :lol: im proud of my self...

My favorite dinner is The ultimate feast from Red Lobster! Here's the line up, if you don't know.

Lobster Tail
Shrimp Scampi
Fried Shrimp (butterfly)
Snow Crab Legs
And of course the side items.

I said all that to say this: FISH GOOD.......MMMM..MMMMM! :slurp:

Oh man you are right on revhtree, I always go to Red Lobster for my B-Day and get the feast. I dont know what all you are talking about, fish is great! I love catching frying it up, smoking in it(in a smoker not a pipe), battering it and deep-frying, nothing beats it, exept maybe crab. Oh and clams are great to. When I go to Ft. Bragg, have to get steamed clams at the brewery. Everything to do with fish is my fav. whether it be in a tank, on the end of my line, or in my stomach. :twisted:

I've never been a big fish person. I can stand salmon and tuna, but in general its never been a favorite. I had mahi mahi recently (DOLPHIN!! HEHE!) and it wasn't too bad, but in general I'm all about shell fish and such.. clams, olysters, shrimp, lobsters, crabs, etc. mmmm.

My ex-girlfriend went to a family reunion in Georgia a while back and they had a fish fry. Thing is, their version of a fish fry is...

1) catch fish from pond at the site of the get together
2) kill the fish
3) batter the fish
4) fry the fish

In case you didn't notice, there was no "clean the fish" or "prepare the fish". If you ate fish at the fish fry, it was a whole fish with crispy batter all over it. I have no idea why she didn't eat any of it...

Just saw a show with Wolfgang Puck cooking a whole fish in various ways, and it is definitely a different story when you are looking at its eyes - similar to a pig roast or something - I much prefer the features of the animal to be gone before I ever get to it!

Yeah, I recently saw one of the WLIW 13 cooking shows, and somebody like Minh was cooking up a whole fish (features and all) and salting it. Actually, it looked pretty darn good.

And... I'm a vegetarian.

Krap, Bi-bim-bap (or however you choose to transliterate it) is one of my favorite dishes. Go Korean!

Also, my freshman-year roommate was Korean. I got into the (unhealthy) habit of eating just rice and seaweed wraps. Man, that Korean seaweed is good. A lot of the time, I just ate the seaweed itself. I JUST ate lunch, and yet all this discussion is making me hungry.

yeah its great. i dont know if i was making it wrong but i thought bi bim bop was just soy sauce egg and rice. i like bo kum bop. egg, rice, green onions, sesame seeds, soy sauce and sesame sauce.

my 4 favorite foods are rice, kam poong ki (fried spicy sweet chicken), galbi (beef with a sweet sauce), and finally ken neep (a korean plant we grow in our back yard with dried pepper, crab sauce, sesame sauce, and garlic [wrap around rice with chop sticks and enjoi :)])

sugarloves said:
Sometimes, when having dinner, I find it difficult to eat fish like salmon or trout. Haha. I was wondering how many of you think twice about eating fish now that you have aquariums.

That is funny, I go the other way around.
I eat the fish and think "uhm, how would this look in my fishtank?"
That happens everytime I eat Pacu because we eat that all the time in South America but I guess in the rest of the world it is an ornamental fish? Strange. Just like putting lobster tank in the sea-food restaurants...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom