Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, the new tetras are kind of yucky looking...but I saw an idea for a little cemetery tank, like they would be zombies or something, that sounds kind of cute!

But I love my glofish danios...sorry, but I think my danios are cute as can be, especially swimming around with the normal danios, like little highlights in the group.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
Did you see the tetras, or the Glofish danios? Just curious.
I saw the Glofish Danios. Everytime I see them I can't help but think that people would have been wearing them as jewelry in the 80's! LOL! Guess I just aged myself!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisserydoo View Post
Well, the new tetras are kind of yucky looking...but I saw an idea for a little cemetery tank, like they would be zombies or something, that sounds kind of cute!

But I love my glofish danios...sorry, but I think my danios are cute as can be, especially swimming around with the normal danios, like little highlights in the group.
That's cool. I get it. My daughter wanted some, but I was kind of afraid to let her get them. I'm really not familiar with the process, so I was worried that it was some kind of gimmick! How long have you had them? Have the colors faded at all?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
That's cool. I get it. My daughter wanted some, but I was kind of afraid to let her get them. I'm really not familiar with the process, so I was worried that it was some kind of gimmick! How long have you had them? Have the colors faded at all?
I've had them about 6 months, I have a red, a purple, and three normal zebras. They've grown quite a bit, and the color hasn't faded at all, if anything, the red one looks brighter. The purple isn't quite as bright. They think they're normal and school with the others, and the others accept them just fine.

There's a glofish website that tells all about them. I guess they were initially developed to detect contaminants in water sources, but that didn't work out. Here's the link: GloFish® Fluorescent Fish Home Page
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wait. What are they called?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
In dyed fish, the colors fade. With Glofish danios, like your daughter wants (and presumably Glofish green tetras, although they are a new release from the same company) they are genetically modified and breed true. This is much different from fish that are injected with dye, or dipped in acid to remove slime coat then dipped in dye.

The process of creating GM fish has nothing to do with dyeing. As I understand it, the embryos are injected with the jellyfish protein and it causes no distress to the organism.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
The process of creating GM fish has nothing to do with dyeing. As I understand it, the embryos are injected with the jellyfish protein and it causes no distress to the organism.
I learned in Biology class that way too. Apparently that method works for all sorts of different animals, not only glofish and tetras. There are glow-in-the-dark pigs, rats, mice...it's quite interesting what some people do in genetics.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yea, in my biotech class, we made e coli that was this same green. Pretty neat stuff. You can look up pictures of pigs and sheep that are altered too.

And these are really neat fish! I don't like the look of unnatural colors in fish, but I may hook my niece up with these. Perfect to get kids into the hobby and teach them good fishkeeping skills.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good point. I'll probably let it go for my daughter (or my granddaughter) next time then. I just didn't want to 'feed the beast' so to speak, if something wasn't right about them. And they just really struck me as unnatural.

Dangit! Now I have to find some glow in the dark pigs and rats online. Lol!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
come get me tang police!

I just saw some of these on a vendor list, I had no idea they existed. I get the feeling that this thing is going to be marketed to death in multiple species of fish before it's all said and done.

I get the argument that this whole thing came about in a benign way because they were doing research on pollution in waterways or whatever but at this point it just seems more like justification for marketing a living animal as copyrighted product. I don't think the fish themselves are suffering in any way (in aquaria), but they are extremely tacky looking. That's just my personal opinion though.

Tags
electric, glofish, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com