Electric Green Glofish brand Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yep, that's right, the company is releasing electric green genetically modified tetras. They are Glofish branded (trademarked) but they are actually modified white skirt tetras. I've seen pics but I do not have permission to use them so I'm not going to post any.

I'm sure they'll be a big fad like the Glofish danios. They'll never make it into this fishroom. LOL.

Sometimes when I look at the glofish at the petstore. I cant help but feel sorry for them.

Sometimes when I look at the glofish at the petstore. I cant help but feel sorry for them.

I don't feel sorry for them. They aren't dyed. They just aren't remotely aesthetically pleasing to me.

I have to agree. I just saw some tonight at the pet store, and they just don't do it for me either.

For some reason I just cant help but feel like these fish are the next Betta fish in a vase-with some sort plant stuck in it-to make people feel like the fish is ok type thing.
My daughter on the other hand is begging me for some.

For some reason I just cant help but feel like these fish are the next Betta fish in a vase-with some sort plant stuck in it-to make people feel like the fish is ok type thing.
My daughter on the other hand is begging me for some.

Let's hope not. It would be even worse for the white skirt tetra (modified or not) than a betta, as the skirt tetra is a schooling fish that is NOT a small species of tetra. Then again, the skirt tetra has a well deserved reputation for being tough as nails, so who knows what products they will come up with to attract children. There are already 1 gallon setups available with blacklights or blue LEDs for the Glofish danios, but the skirt tetras are just as active as those, yet much more bulky.... making them an even worse choice than Glofish danios for tiny tanks.

Just saw pictures of those...err, glofish...let me just say, they are more scary than cool. LOL.

Hopefully they don't show up here. I'm pretty sure CA has a ban on them...and with Petco stocking up on those .5 gallon tanks for 10 glofish as seen on the box, I wouldn't want them getting in the wrong hands.

Well, the new tetras are kind of yucky looking...but I saw an idea for a little cemetery tank, like they would be zombies or something, that sounds kind of cute!

But I love my glofish danios...sorry, but I think my danios are cute as can be, especially swimming around with the normal danios, like little highlights in the group.

Did you see the tetras, or the Glofish danios? Just curious. :)

I saw the Glofish Danios. Everytime I see them I can't help but think that people would have been wearing them as jewelry in the 80's! LOL! Guess I just aged myself!

Well, the new tetras are kind of yucky looking...but I saw an idea for a little cemetery tank, like they would be zombies or something, that sounds kind of cute!

But I love my glofish danios...sorry, but I think my danios are cute as can be, especially swimming around with the normal danios, like little highlights in the group.

That's cool. I get it. My daughter wanted some, but I was kind of afraid to let her get them. I'm really not familiar with the process, so I was worried that it was some kind of gimmick! How long have you had them? Have the colors faded at all?

That's cool. I get it. My daughter wanted some, but I was kind of afraid to let her get them. I'm really not familiar with the process, so I was worried that it was some kind of gimmick! How long have you had them? Have the colors faded at all?

I've had them about 6 months, I have a red, a purple, and three normal zebras. They've grown quite a bit, and the color hasn't faded at all, if anything, the red one looks brighter. The purple isn't quite as bright. They think they're normal and school with the others, and the others accept them just fine.

There's a glofish website that tells all about them. I guess they were initially developed to detect contaminants in water sources, but that didn't work out. Here's the link: GloFish® Fluorescent Fish Home Page

In dyed fish, the colors fade. With Glofish danios, like your daughter wants (and presumably Glofish green tetras, although they are a new release from the same company) they are genetically modified and breed true. This is much different from fish that are injected with dye, or dipped in acid to remove slime coat then dipped in dye.

The process of creating GM fish has nothing to do with dyeing. As I understand it, the embryos are injected with the jellyfish protein and it causes no distress to the organism.

The process of creating GM fish has nothing to do with dyeing. As I understand it, the embryos are injected with the jellyfish protein and it causes no distress to the organism.

I learned in Biology class that way too. Apparently that method works for all sorts of different animals, not only glofish and tetras. There are glow-in-the-dark pigs, rats, mice...it's quite interesting what some people do in genetics.

Yea, in my biotech class, we made e coli that was this same green. Pretty neat stuff. You can look up pictures of pigs and sheep that are altered too.

And these are really neat fish! I don't like the look of unnatural colors in fish, but I may hook my niece up with these. Perfect to get kids into the hobby and teach them good fishkeeping skills.

Good point. I'll probably let it go for my daughter (or my granddaughter) next time then. I just didn't want to 'feed the beast' so to speak, if something wasn't right about them. And they just really struck me as unnatural.

Dangit! Now I have to find some glow in the dark pigs and rats online. Lol!

I just saw some of these on a vendor list, I had no idea they existed. I get the feeling that this thing is going to be marketed to death in multiple species of fish before it's all said and done.

I get the argument that this whole thing came about in a benign way because they were doing research on pollution in waterways or whatever but at this point it just seems more like justification for marketing a living animal as copyrighted product. I don't think the fish themselves are suffering in any way (in aquaria), but they are extremely tacky looking. That's just my personal opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom