Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh
Just my opinion, sorry to be blunt: the pond would raise his bill a bit but he is most likely using the electric bill as a general reason, because ponds are a pain to build and maintain and if he owns his home he doesn't want to risk hurting it's value if you(or anybody) does a poor job or abandons the project halfway.

My bill is also in California and runs over $200, up to $400 if we run the hot tub or space heaters in winter. We make wood fires because heaters cost a pretty penny to run! Two person household, many lights and tech gear on all the time besides 4 tanks..

The bill of a whole pond build is many many times what he would pay in higher utilities. good luck with that one yo.

edit: here is a tip from my parents: in our state now homeowners can simply "lease" solar panels, which alleviates the risk of having to pay maintenance costs or roofing repair costs.if you bought them outright.

I can ask the actual company name they used depending on where you're at. Bay Area?
Don't worry I don't mind. It would be an above ground pond so it probably wont take away from the property value, right? Your right, he probably
doesnt want another thing to maintain.

Even though I'm only 14 I could probably do it myself. I think I'll use one of those galvanized troughs, maybe with a liner if it's unable to hold up. I've been reading up on filtration, plants, fish.

I still don't understand what the difference between a gravity fed pond and I can't remember the other kind.

:edit: I'm not sure if I understand your last question but I live in the Bay Area.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well that might work. Find deals on Craigslist for used pools, pumps and supplies. The solar panels are just a good deal right now with competition in our area. But they won't cover $400! Unless he has a massive roof!

Does your dad like other family pets? Work the angle that fish have super huge personalities so he gets intrigued. Koi are a nice hobby

Hey btw this pond and aquarium store just went out of business in the South Bay. It was called dolphin pet village. They are still selling lots of stuff from their Facebook page. They had everything except the above ground pool, but lots of fitted tub ponds and various liners on rolls.

The owner is a lady named Brenda and she is a big A's fan. I bought sooooo much stuff before they closed a few months ago and got 50% off or more. I'm going back for corals as she had the best in town

Old 04-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah my dad actually loves fish. Hes the one who got me started when I saw his discus. We now have a dog, 2 cats, a hamster, three tanks, one of which is his 250g tanganyikan tank. So we like animals. He's had ponds when before I was born and loved them. So I think it's a matter of using the right phrasing to convince him.

I hope to have water lilies and lots of plants, but I don't know much about them.

Our house is pretty big, and my mom always bugs my dad for solar panels. Is there a way to buy a small one just for the pond?

Edit- Dolphin pet village? Where's that? I'll have to check it out!
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My tanks raised my bill up about $20-30 a month extra.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I switched from metal halide to led's and now my chiller goes on once a day rather than 3 times an hour...my electric bill is now 58 dollars cheaper since I put the new lights on
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, learn all the koi names like Chagoi and Kohaku (only two I can recall ATM) and design pond plans with colored pencil diagrams. Lots of Latin plant names to seem professional.

I never got my fantasy pond so I hope you do! I got a horse instead which was what I was really obsessed with at the time! Thanks Ma! Now I have a big garden I don't even want to weed let alone dig into. jk I love to garden, ad under the tall grass I think I see a big hole. We just moved in so when I clear cut the yard if there is a big gap like I think there is I'm filling it up! Or gettin a goat
Old 04-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer4eva
I switched from metal halide to led's and now my chiller goes on once a day rather than 3 times an hour...my electric bill is now 58 dollars cheaper since I put the new lights on
Wow that's great!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockX
My tanks raised my bill up about $20-30 a month extra.
Not too bad!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh
Yes, learn all the koi names like Chagoi and Kohaku (only two I can recall ATM) and design pond plans with colored pencil diagrams. Lots of Latin plant names to seem professional.

I never got my fantasy pond so I hope you do! I got a horse instead which was what I was really obsessed with at the time! Thanks Ma! Now I have a big garden I don't even want to weed let alone dig into. jk I love to garden, ad under the tall grass I think I see a big hole. We just moved in so when I clear cut the yard if there is a big gap like I think there is I'm filling it up! Or gettin a goat
I love horses, your very lucky.

I looked at the Dolphin Pet Village Facebook page and I'm not sure if their still selling stuff or not. Are they? Looks like it was a great store!
Old 04-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

never really noticed a jump with my tanks only when the green house heater is running in winter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com