Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Elmo's goldfish

This has been bothering me for a while. I have two kids and one of their favorite shows is Sesame Street. Elmo has a goldfish named Dorthy. Elmo keeps his goldfish in a small bowl. What kind of example are they trying to set for young children, lol. For such a progressive show you think they would have done a little research, that fish needs at least 20 gallons. I may write the show and direct them to this site, it sure has helped me.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are quite a few other children shows out their promoting gold fish in small bowls. Most lkely the producers haven't a clue about fish keeping....then again, maybe they do but it didn't occurr to them that little viewers beg mommy and daddy for a fish in a bowl just like they see on the show; and many times this is just what happens.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I cringe when I see Elmo's world. Lol. Dorothy is a common goldfish and needs even more than 20 gallons. :/ 'She' is a pond fish that can easily reach a foot! I hate to think what happens to all the Dorothys when they stop shooting.
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I bet it's a different Dorothy each time, she can't survive in that bowl. Especially with Elmo as an owner lol
Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by George9
I bet it's a different Dorothy each time, she can't survive in that bowl. Especially with Elmo as an owner lol
It is! I've compared lol!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two

It is! I've compared lol!
Haha only a true goldfish enthusiast would do that
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Fish View Post
There are quite a few other children shows out their promoting gold fish in small bowls. Most lkely the producers haven't a clue about fish keeping....then again, maybe they do but it didn't occurr to them that little viewers beg mommy and daddy for a fish in a bowl just like they see on the show; and many times this is just what happens.

I have noticed that on other shows as well, Elmo was just more noticeable because he is a repeat offender. I guess it shows my lack of knowledge on goldfish, I thouht 20 gallons would be enough not a pond, lol. I think that makes it worse. I had watched the show before I kept fish and I never really noticed. Now that I am educated these things stick out to me. Glad I am not the only one that this bothers.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've noticed this too with my baby sister theirs another show on the sprout channel with another goldfish in a bowl -.-
I think it's just the common idea that has been around for ages of a fish= goldfish and habitat= bowl and everything else such as tank sizes substrates etc would be too complicated for kids, but definitely not a good message to kids
Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

It leads the parents/adults in the situation to believe that's how they are kept. They then go to the LFS and quite a lot of the time this is reinforced by an employee that's either not educated on the matter, doesn't care or just wants a sale. My sisters and I had many goldfish in bowls as kids because my mother was told by the LFS they are perfectly fine in them.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
It leads the parents/adults in the situation to believe that's how they are kept. They then go to the LFS and quite a lot of the time this is reinforced by an employee that's either not educated on the matter, doesn't care or just wants a sale. My sisters and I had many goldfish in bowls as kids because my mother was told by the LFS they are perfectly fine in them.
I was talking fish the other day with a few girls in my clinical group. They were saying they would buy goldfish for their kids because they were cheap. They said they kept them in a bowl and stated that they only lived for about two weeks. I tried to explain that they needed a bigger tank and that goldfish were very messy but I think it fell on deaf ears.

Tags
goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com