Emergency pack for blackouts.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dylan5359

Aquarium Advice Addict
So there is currently a blackout. (My dad has this mini wireless hotspot) It should only last a couple hours or so but it got me worried about my fishies. I know my tank will be fine for at least 12 hours. (they always turn back on in the morning) This really got me scared though, they only happen here maybe 1-2 a year. I'm setting up a 5 and 10 gallon tank as well (SW), I would hate for the future livestock (and money invested) to die due to a power outage. I want to setup a small box for emergencies. What do you guys suggest?

Powers back! And yeah that's what I was thinking. Not sure for heating though.

It all depends on how many watts you need and how long you need the power for. Anywhere from ~$100 to several thousand. A small generator would be cheaper in many cases.

Having messed around with a computer-style UPS unit (1200 watt) in my basement where most of my tanks are, I sprung for a beefier unit, this Duracell powerpack thing... it's intended for longer runtime than the UPSes are, and doesn't beep constantly when the power's off. Duracell Powerpack 600 | Backup Power Source | Duracell Power

As for what to run on it, frankly I'd just run the filter or aerator. Unless my house is going to be cold for several days, the fish can handle a few degrees drop in temps and a little extra darkness. They can't live without the O2 though. Most filters I've tested don't take up too much juice either. If you have gas water heating, you can do partials with warm water out of the tap to maintain tank temps.

You can get a generator for a couple hundred bucks and you can power up your tank, refrigerator, and anything else to get buy. I bought one a few years back for $350. Then last year my power went out due to a storm and was without power for a weekend a half and this was during the month of August and a heat wave. I had half my house powered up with the ac and my tanks. It was So worth the investment imagine being without a fridge, ac, no lights when it's in the upper 90's

Back
Top Bottom