Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to donttaptheglass Send a message via Yahoo to donttaptheglass
Emperor Scorpion

Anybody in here got one of these? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm having a hard time finding one in my area. I want one of the ones that look blue in normal light . . . .most of the ones I see online are black or brown, but I've also seen some really cool blue ones. I understand they all glow under black light.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I want one of the ones that look blue in normal light
If it's blue under normal light then it's painted on. No such thing as a blue scorpion of any species.

Careful around those who may be allergic to insect venom. Though Emperor scorpions are one of the least toxic of the scorpions (the equivelant to a bee sting or two) and rarely cause any harm other than a painful sting, an allergic reaction can cause death...and don't be too set back by their placid behavior. A pissy Emperor will sting, so have a good grip on it's 'tail' when handling.

I've had a few different kinds of scorpions and as interesting as they are they are boring to say the least...LOL. Neat to study though. The most enjoyment I got was witnessing one of mine give birth. It was the most unique birth I think that exists in the animal kingdom. No kidding!! It instantly reminded me of the zodiac sign Scorpio and what it represents in astrology...transformation. Now I understand how the scorpion earned that position.

As it went...she would hold three white things in those comb like appendages under her abdomen. They were on top of each other and the closest one to her body was a smooth oval egg. The one under it was also oval, but not as smooth. It had creases in the egg. The third one...closest to the ground was a white scorpion. It's as if the eggs literally transform to the shape of a little scorpion once outside the mother's body and only took about 15 minutes for the egg to take shape. It seems the outer shell of the egg becomes their armor. So, instead of hatching out of the egg/eggsack, it becomes part of them.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 03-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to donttaptheglass Send a message via Yahoo to donttaptheglass
So this guy is painted? Or does a camera flash give them that "blue" effect because of their ability to flouresce?

Old 03-20-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's not a blue pigment. That is a light reflection of the color surrounding the scorpion in the photo.

Also, black pigment can be so dense it may appear blue (a dark navy type blue). That is true black. Dark browns won't have that effect. Again, it's a play with light such as the reflection of blue in the photo on the scorpion.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
Old 03-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I went to my LFS today and found out that they had these!! In fact, a tank full of 'em . . . it was the creepiest thing I ever saw, it was SO COOL!! These were black of course, but you could tell that they would glow under black light . . .they had that slight bluish/green tinge to them. $30 I was all there, but the wife had several unkind words that basically amounted to "NO!"

Oh well.

She's gotta go to work sometime.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

$30??? Wow!! That is expensive for an emperor scorpion. I never paid anything over ten bucks for one adult and five bucks each for juveniles at reptile shops and expos. Look at reptile shops and sources online. You'll find them much cheaper. $30 dollars sounds like a rip off to me. Seriously.

Good luck getting around your wife...LOL. See with me...I'm the ***** here and it's always been the guys that have always gotten the willies with the critters I have a habit of bringing home...LOL. At least they're easy to hide...and don't make noise to give themselves away...heehee.

Nov/2004
Old 03-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, when I saw that, it seemed to me that the highest I had seen on any of the websites was $15, but I looked all over town and this was the only place within 150 miles that had any, so I guess thats how they get away with it . . . they were absolutely beautiful though (in the creepy, icky sense of the word beautiful), and if I could have got away with it, I'da paid the $30.

I'm not all that into astrology, but I'm a scorpio (a cusp even!) and I've always wanted one. I've also been thinking about one real hard as a tattoo (Yes, thats right . . .served a full tour in the Marines and came out with NOT A SINGLE TATTOO!!).

The nasty little brown ones we used to find outside my grandmothers house in the mountains of Tennesssee just never did anything for me.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm scorpio too...LOL. October 23rd...so it's a cusp also (with Libra). I've always been into the little creepy critters that get peoples skin crawling, though I don't deal with roaches...eeekkk. I can't really say that too honestly though. While working for Petco, one of our shipments of crickets came in with these super transluscent red roaches I've never seen before. I kept them in a critter keeper and fed them veggies for a while...LOL. They were actually a very pretty color. Must have been some fancy tropical species. Our regular American roach though...I can't even get myself to kill one I get so creeped out, yet I use to play with those 17 year chicadas. Go figure!!

Nov/2004
Old 03-26-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool . . . almost happy birthdays then . . .I'm the 24th . . .so lemme guess intelligent, opinionated, outspoken, wildly passionate and **** good lookin'!! lol

Oh yeah . . . .modest too

Don't remember too much about Southern Cal roaches as I only lived in the barracks in Tustin (back in the day when it was still open), and pets of any kind were unauthorized. Used to spend the weekends at my Aunts house down in San Marcos and she was a nurse and cleaned her house like a hospital . . . so roaches were unauthorized there too.

Don't see too many here in Michigan either, but I guess even the bugs aren't dumb enough to live in this climate, which leads me to wonder how I'll keep a cage hot enough for a scorpion.

(How come she can say ***** but I can't say da*n . . . .I haven't said "darn" since I was 10 . . . and I didn't even type that)
Old 03-27-2006, 06:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
intelligent, opinionated, outspoken, wildly passionate and darn good lookin'!! lol

Oh yeah . . . .modest too
as well as mysterious, spiteful, very loyal, and able to bounce back from hard times...chameleon like mood swings and can see right through anyone's BS. LOL. And our almost happy birthdays are still 7 months away...LOL. Don't push it, I feel old enough...LOL. Only kidding. I love that time of year. I love the fall. I love the trees when they change to all sorts of colors. I grew up back in Jersey so I do know what having 4 seasons is like. Though I do not miss that bone bitter minus 45 degree wind chill.

I live in Vista, which is practically right next door to San Marcos. I use to work at a veterinary clinic in San Marcos. I don't really see roaches around here that much. Back in Jersey they were everywhere. You could have a house that you can eat off the floor and still have roaches. I remember even seeing a wild albino roach in some sleezy one room apartments complex. Roaches though in general are clean insects. Always grooming themselves too like cats.

You can use a reptile ceramic heater to keep the scorpion warm. Better than using lights to warm animals so you don't disturb anyone's night. A low watt. Depending on size of the cage...between 25 watts and 60 watts maybe. Scorpions are able to handle extreme environmental changes. They can survive extreme heat and extreme cold. This was shown on a discovery channel program years ago. They showed a scorpion being put into a freezer and became a block of ice. When thawed, he woke up and started life where he left off...LOL. They also exposed scorpions to very high temps. Well over 150 degrees and they were fine. They did get antsy to get out of the container, but fine none the less. They can even survive 200 times the amount of radiation that would kill a person. Pretty **** (betcha that says 'darn'...lol.) incredible. They are tough creatures, yet I had a Florida wood scorpion that died after discovering its leg was trapped between the water bowl and the side of the tank. I think she bled to death. The arm was torn near the body. Go figure. Here's an incredible critter that would be the only thing and it's kind left alive after a nuclear attack and it bleeds to death on me :s

Nov/2004
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com