Essay writing. few simple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GIMojo

Aquarium Advice Freak
im about to have my exam. a part of it is writing an opinion essay so i have a few questions

How many paragraphs does an essay have

How do I expand thesis statements.

Ill give examples. Please help

Romeo and juliet were not fools to die for love.

so how do i expand this in several paragraphs. Also, my upcomming exam is basically an essay. How do i prove my facts without quoting text. We cant use the textbooks in class.

What level of study are we talking about here?

Essays are often assigned with guidelines in terms of numbers of words, and if not, then you will need as many paragraphs as it takes to get the job done. :wink: I'm only sortof kidding - you need to have an opinion about the thesis in order to avoid quoting the text.

# of paragraphs - No more than 5

Introduction to theory is first paragraph.
Paralells in history or real life second
Basis for your theory
Examples of your theory
conclusion

You must be able to cite sources of your information. Keep in mind, I haven't seen the inside of a school in 25 years. :D

The number of paragraphs that you should use are 5, but if you go into great detail, you can make it a 4 paragraph essay.

1st paragraph: the Introduction (thesis statement and motivator sentence (I think thats what its called))

2nd paragraph:a reason why Romeo and juliet were not fools to die for love...4 details

3rd paragraph:another reason why Romeo and juliet were not fools to die for love...4 details

4th paragraph: the last reason why Romeo and juliet were not fools to die for love...4 details

5th paragraph: the conclusion, you summarize what you went over

HTH

Blazeherd2306, you are too kind to deliver the outline!

Is this summer school or is school not out yet in your neck of the woods, GIMojo?

Jchillin, I think your intuition serves you well - late Sunday night is the perfect time to slap an essay together. :wink:

Blazeherd2306 said:
The number of paragraphs that you should use are 5, but if you go into great detail, you can make it a 4 paragraph essay.

1st paragraph: the Introduction (thesis statement and motivator sentence (I think thats what its called))

2nd paragraph:a reason why Romeo and juliet were not fools to die for love...4 details

3rd paragraph:another reason why Romeo and juliet were not fools to die for love...4 details

4th paragraph: the last reason why Romeo and juliet were not fools to die for love...4 details

5th paragraph: the conclusion, you summarize what you went over

HTH

I got a certificate of essay writing or something like that from a teacher one time, that says I know how to write essays or whatever. Man I wrote terrible many essays to get that certificate, but I am glad I went through that whole stinkin class now (And I hope you can learn a little about it too).

Exactly!

Now the only thing I must add to this...
The beginning should be something like:
Romeo and Juliet were not foolds to die to love because REASON1, REASON2, and REASON3.

Something similar to that. List your 3 main reasons in the beginning.

Your conclusion needs something similar to remind the reader of this. Touch on all 3 reasons in the conclusion.

Oh! And be sure to include a Rhetorical (spelling?) Question or two. Teachers love those (at least mine did). Just dont overdo it. Just one or two in the entire essay.

Also, make it a 5 paragraph essay... It will look a whole lot more "professionally" done.

what part of Ontario are you in? I know this is the last week of school in Simcoe County.....
Good luck on the essay

BTW JChillin, I still see the inside of schools regularly...with my kids LOL

its on the exam. these were sample thesis statements she gave us lol. no cheating here.

the essay IS the exam, we go to school do an essay in an hour and 30 minutes.

this week is the only exam week. i got 2. english and geography

im a good kid, never miss school :p

90% avg shows it

GIMojo said:
How many paragraphs does an essay have?

It really depends on how many ideas you're trying to present to the reader, and the way you go about it. Usually essays are based on total word count. Remember - pronouns, conjunctions, and other short words (a, the, an, etc) are not included in the word count.

A paragraph's purpose is to break the text up into smaller chunks, so it's easier for the reader to read. This is not be done by randomly inserting indents - instead, each paragraph should express one thought or idea. Paragraphs can be very short or very long - depends on how much info must be conveyed to the reader in order to properly expand that thought.

GIMojo said:
How do I expand thesis statements?

The easiest way to do this is to create an outline. You'll have an introduction, two or three major points supporting your statement, and a conclusion. Each major point should have a few sub-divisions...each of which should be given its own paragraph.

GIMojo said:
How do i prove my facts without quoting text. We cant use the textbooks in class.

You can paraphrase text - repeat it in your own words, while citing the source. To defend your thesis statement, just give examples from the play. You really don't need to directly quote text, or provide act and scene information because it is assumed that your audience is very familiar with the play.

wow, awesome help guys, ive tried homework help sites but i could leave the thread out for months and bump it everyweek and dont get as much help as you guys gave me. awesome stuff :p

I'm going into 9th grade and will be taking 8 classes. Therefore 8 exams 8O. English is one of my worst classes. I have a high vocabulary and I'm good at writing , but I'm bad at poetry and all of the other english material like literature terms, etc.

high school has got to be the most easiest thing i have ever done. its not 8 exams, you got gym as well :p.

I'm glad to see you guys taking your writing class seriously! :D Of the three r's (reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic), I think writing is the most important - although, if you're a good writer, chances are you're a good reader too. :wink:

Of all the things they teach you in middle school through high school, the skill of writing a coherent argument is probably the most marketable later on in life. Not too many people are particularly good at expressing themselves on paper. Those who are are more likely to get into better colleges, get better jobs that they enjoy, and win promotions leading to bigger paychecks. 8)

The best thing to do is this (follow the same paragraph format someone already gave)

Your thesis should be something along these lines:
In Shakespeares Romeo and Juliet, he shows that _________ by doing this (#1 idea), that (#2 idea) , and the other (#3). By doing this his work blah blah blah.. bunch of filler

and then begin your 3 body paragraphs with that same idea.
By doing this(idea #1), Shakespear shoes how __________. And then give a specific example and EXPLAIN it. (This shows that...) BUT don't put "this shows that" just think that in your head and then write down what it shows. For every topic, you should have three supporting ideas.

Couple of tips:
Don't write "I think", "I believe", "Im going to show you"... never use " I " in your paragraphs.

Make your main point, and give 3 supporting examples which you explain how it relates to your point AND the thesis

Good luck!

lyquidphyre said:
Don't write "I think", "I believe", "Im going to show you"... never use " I " in your paragraphs.

I would agree in that too, as of last night I was too tired to think of the correct way to write that so I just used that phrase for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom