Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't even understand why this is being discussed. killing perfectly healthy fish that you made the mistake of taking in and culling diseased/injured/undesirable fish is completely different. that's comparable to me taking in any free dog I can and then killing them because "I need to protect my bottom line". just stop taking unwanted fish in and let them figure out new homes for their fish.

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
I don't even understand why this is being discussed. killing perfectly healthy fish that you made the mistake of taking in and culling diseased/injured/undesirable fish is completely different. that's comparable to me taking in any free dog I can and then killing them because "I need to protect my bottom line". just stop taking unwanted fish in and let them figure out new homes for their fish.
The problem with that is they're disposable to most people and they'll either be flushed or killed in a inhumane way. I disagree with that attitude.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for the double posts guys I mistakingly pushed quote Instead of edit
Old 10-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

[If you can avoid doing it then by all means do it but in HUKITS Case you have to do it
Old 10-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #25
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
I'm aware but that's not something I could do. Here is another one people won't agree with but I was a Ranger in the Army and I'd rather put down a enemy over putting down a puppy or even worse a kitty!!!
Oh, I'm not saying I agree with the practice. Heck, I hated having to put down my yellow lab when he got cancer, but it had to be done. Yes, I know, different reason completely and it was done in a very humane way with mama (me) curled up with him.

My point was is that the practice is done in all species kept for breeding purposes.

And I agree. I would put down a human easier than I would an animal any day.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
The sad thing is, take those fish to the LFS to relocate to a better home, the fish never get bought and they end up doing the killing in an inhumane way. Usually by throwing them alive in the dumpster.

Somewhere along the line either the owner of the unwanted fish will do it in an inhumane way or the OP will do it humanely. I'd prefer if it has to be done, it be done in a humane manner.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I probably have a different perspective than most.

I feed guppy fry to my bigger fish when I get overstocked. I would have an issue killing fish that are not bread in captivity and not in abundance in the wild. I wouldn't want to euthanize a pictus catfish for instance. I guess I am looking at this from the perspective of what impact it has on the environment.

I would advise that you put adds on craigslist, and any local free add paper that is available. I still feel that killing the fish should be a last resort.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

let them go in the community pool... or put them in bags and into peoples mailboxes..lol
go to a friends house and leave some in the toilet to surprise them
Old 10-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
The sad thing is, take those fish to the LFS to relocate to a better home, the fish never get bought and they end up doing the killing in an inhumane way. Usually by throwing them alive in the dumpster.

Somewhere along the line either the owner of the unwanted fish will do it in an inhumane way or the OP will do it humanely. I'd prefer if it has to be done, it be done in a humane manner.
I can understand your perspective on it, but I have to respectfully disagree. taking fish to a LFS (suitable clean one) that has daily fish-based customer foot-traffic is a HUGE improvement in rehoming odds compared to an individuals attempt to rehome them. In all fairness, we as hobbyists should do the best we can to ensure that we are not only continuously moving towards sustainability, but also doing the best we can to ensure our water-bound pets live a long health life, I don't feel that "culling" unwanted refugee fish is in the best interests, long or short, for this hobby.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #30
Ayi
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depending on what they are I might be interested in taking some in.

Tags
euthanasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com