Ethical Euthanasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We can all chip in, buy a really big tank for all the fish and then euthanize the people the OP got them from......

I think there's a lot of confusing concepts in this thread that need to be teased out. Namely, there's a lot of confusion regarding ethical vs pragmatic. Breeders cull mostly because it's pragmatic, not because it's necessarily ethical. Likewise, I think that in the OP's case, it's unquestionably unethical, but an argument can be made about the pragmatism.

I don't see a problem with the OP euthanize by them. Here's how I see it-

If the OP doesn't take in the fish, the old owner may euthanize it in a way that the fish suffers. Or the OP can try to find them a home and if he can't he put them down in a quick painless way.

Or the unwanted fish end up in a creek somewhere which doesn't help anyone.

Still, perhaps every tank sold should come with a little DVD on fish keeping or something. Maybe that would help a few.

I think there's a lot of confusing concepts in this thread that need to be teased out. Namely, there's a lot of confusion regarding ethical vs pragmatic. Breeders cull mostly because it's pragmatic, not because it's necessarily ethical. Likewise, I think that in the OP's case, it's unquestionably unethical, but an argument can be made about the pragmatism.

Im sorry but I don't cull fry because im concerned about practical matter or guided by practical experience and observation. I do it because it's neccesarry to put out the best product. If I think I defect looks nice I will try and breed it out.

Im sorry but I don't cull fry because im concerned about practical matter or guided by practical experience and observation. I do it because it's neccesarry to put out the best product. If I think I defect looks nice I will try and breed it out.

That's essential the definition of pragmatic.

That's essential the definition of pragmatic.

Ita being guided by experience and practical rather then theory. Im not guided by anythibg, its a must and also, I cull to my own specifications. Not to what others put out. If my fry has a deffect that looks nice to me I will try and breed it out. In my eyes that's not following experience seeing as we are suppose to cull all bad genetics.

Wow- I would've never have thought this topic would spark so much controversy.
Here's a little light on the matter:

*I would DEFINTELY prefer to give away fish than euthanize.
*At this moment, I'm not at full capacity, and need to do something about it. I was just asking a question on what was suggested to me by a local fellow fish keeper.
*I've only ever euthanized one fish that had its fins ripped off in a fight overnight. Correction- I didn't directly do it. Someone else did it for me. Clove oil and vodka followed by a snapping of the neck. Scarred me for life- never want to see or do that again if I can help it.

Why would he snap its neck?? :nono:
When I had to euthanize my comet I used Clive oil alone. The end was quick and (apparently) the fish suffered very little trauma. Can't say the same for me... :cry:

why do you want your pet fish's 'fresh meat'?

BECAUSE, the meat is fresh when a fish is killed this way because its near instantaneous, and does not stress the fish at all, which would cause lactic acid buildup, tainting the meat, therefore the fresher the pet fishs meat, the less stressed it was

YIKES!!!

And please AquaAndrew use some paragraphs or spaces between thoughts or sentences so I don't go blind. It might be easier to write it but had an awful time trying to follow your block wall of text, to read it!!! ;)

Almost everyone's comments were good, thought provoking to referring back to the topic /OP's issue.

I am not a medium or large scale breeder. Just a few little creatures for hobby and enjoyment. When there was a deformity in my guppies, I put them in a different tank, only one lived past youth and she went into a tank with no other guppies and lived for quite awhile.

Killing creatures for no reason is awful. I am not arguing that illness or deformity (not including color as a deformity) or other whatever thing is wrong, is bad to do.

Putting down a pet is gut wrenching, even fish. I had to put down my 17 year old dog, but didn't want to but he was suffering... I still think it was wrong morally, but best for him. So you could say I am conflicted. It was discussed by the vet and she explained it was a kind and loving thing to do for him.

Be it horses or fish or dogs, puppies or kitties, (or people) life is precious.

Back to fish...perhaps there are some other avenues to explore, like fish club members willing to adopt certain types and fish stores who would take some too.

I have adopted fish from people an a number of occasions usually because people didn't want them, they were moving far away, their fish tank didn't sell (thought the fish would GO with the tank), man couldn't sell the tank with the fish in it 125G FW tropical and everyone wanted it for Cichlids and didn't want the fish (guy was retiring after 10 years of having the tank), and so on. So lots of reasons, some better than others.

Sometimes it was a great decision and other times bad.

OP has a business and should try to focus on ways to funnel the flow away from people who would not treat them properly as a kindness to fish, but it is not the OP's RESPONSIBILITY to do so, it can however be a choice to do so.

One of the people I worked with said oh we had a goldfish and my son got tired of it and we flushed it... People like that should be educated that fish are not throw aways. Petco will frequently take fish in based on their available space, called adoption fish. (She didn't know/think it could be wanted by someone else)

This sort of added service, whether it is simply information, a pamphlet you might prepare, or a person (like from a fish club), web site you can refer them to, makes you an even better business person/resource, AND a more responsible and caring individual as well. (Whether or not you take the fish yourself) You can turn your great service into a future business marketing opportunity, to their friends/associates. Because you took the time to educate, inform, help them.

Just a thought!

No on just euthanizing healthy fish.

Best regards.

Back
Top Bottom