Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ethical Euthanasia

Yeah, its a topic no one really wants to talk about it. Sadly, I'm having a special case of it here.

So I have a hobby aquarium business going on. Nothing fancy- I'll setup, install & maintain aquariums for people.
What I've been getting recently however, is an influx of people emailing me asking if I can take their fish for them, as they've lost interest in fish-keeping or they're moving, etc. Not wanting to see a fish neglected, I've been saying yes, and petting these fish into my spare tanks.

But now I have a problem: I have too many of these fish, and I can't seem to get rid of them. I can't sell them because nobody is interested in buying them. I've been trying to get rid of them by putting them into the tanks I setup and install, but at this rate, I'll be forever trying to get rid of them.
And that's where the topic of euthanasia comes into play.
Now, granted, there's nothing ethical about euthanizing a perfectly healthy fish, and I agree with that. But what about my bottom line?
All told- I don't depend on my hobby business, but at the same time, I do have a couple thousand sunk into it.
Is it ethical to euthanize these healthy fish to protect my bottom line?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by insecurity View Post
Yeah, its a topic no one really wants to talk about it. Sadly, I'm having a special case of it here. So I have a hobby aquarium business going on. Nothing fancy- I'll setup, install & maintain aquariums for people. What I've been getting recently however, is an influx of people emailing me asking if I can take their fish for them, as they've lost interest in fish-keeping or they're moving, etc. Not wanting to see a fish neglected, I've been saying yes, and petting these fish into my spare tanks. But now I have a problem: I have too many of these fish, and I can't seem to get rid of them. I can't sell them because nobody is interested in buying them. I've been trying to get rid of them by putting them into the tanks I setup and install, but at this rate, I'll be forever trying to get rid of them. And that's where the topic of euthanasia comes into play. Now, granted, there's nothing ethical about euthanizing a perfectly healthy fish, and I agree with that. But what about my bottom line? All told- I don't depend on my hobby business, but at the same time, I do have a couple thousand sunk into it. Is it ethical to euthanize these healthy fish to protect my bottom line?
I would say it would be better to give them away for FREE rather than euthanise them

Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

There is nothing wrong with euthanizing fish for that specific reason, it's far better than some of the alternatives. I understand this is a aquarium website and most here won't like this response, but it's not like your putting down puppies they're fish afterall. As long as it's done in a humane way I don't see any issues personally. I use a somewhat barbaric method involving a dead blow hammer but I will also incorporate clove oil when I have that on hand which acts like high dosage of anesthesia.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
There is nothing wrong with euthanizing fish for that specific reason, it's far better than some of the alternatives. I understand this is a aquarium website and most here won't like this response, but it's not like your putting down puppies they're fish afterall. As long as it's done in a humane way I don't see any issues personally. I use a somewhat barbaric method involving a dead blow hammer but I will also incorporate clove oil when I have that on hand which acts like high dosage of anesthesia.
Humane all the way. My sister is a research lab tech at a marine biology lab, and she quite often does it.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
why do you euthanise your fish? I've only ever euthanized one fish and that was a rasbora that had really bad fin rot and it's tail fin had rotted away and it couldn't swim.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Tombs View Post
why do you euthanise your fish? I've only ever euthanized one fish and that was a rasbora that had really bad fin rot and it's tail fin had rotted away and it couldn't swim.
I run a large fish room breeding over a dozen species of central american cichlids so that could be from unwanted fry, birth defects, aggression, and disease. I have anywhere from 750-1200 fish throughout the house at any given time.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I run a large fish room breeding over a dozen species of central american cichlids so that could be from unwanted fry, birth defects, aggression, and disease. I have anywhere from 750-1200 fish throughout the house at any given time.
sounds amazing
Old 10-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #8

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
Just give them away for free. Killing fish is sad
Old 10-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibsog View Post
Just give them away for free. Killing fish is sad
agreed.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What the difference between a puppy and a fish? I'd gladly cull a dog then my discus! Especially since my discus is gonna live longer!

Tags
euthanasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com